HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:39 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
I really am so sorry. I didn't realise that I was supposed to quit spending hours on creating individual model aircaft and move over to buying mass produced products.

Actually, its mostly fun - after all, we're just a bunch of over- grown kids flying toy aircraft. I aren't really bashing this 'product' - but nearly bought one. Reading this lot made me think a little - resulting in no instant gratification, which would have merely delayed my next own design project.

Now be a good little consumer and go buy what you are told

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:13 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,704 Posts
Whatever dude!

Nobody here except you seems to be suggesting anything of the sort. Not sure why you picked this thread to take up your "cause"?

But enough of it please sir. Please allow those of us who are actually flying thus plane to discuss it. You have more than made your point.
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:29 PM
ProBro Eric in Jax
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2006
207 Posts
I don't understand why he jacked up this thread with pictures of some pink plane..

This is a new product review
p0stal is offline Find More Posts by p0stal
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:47 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
So has anyone cracked their canopy yet? I swear that must be the flimsiest thing ever made!

Anyway I smacked up my Yak a few months ago. I was in a nice knife-edge and dumb-thumbed the plane into the ground. Dohhhh!!!

I decided to get the Electrifly Edge 540 (same size) from Tower because it was on sale at the time.

After flying both planes with the same exact setup I can tell you that I think I liked the Yak a little better. I'm a sport-flyer, not a 3D pilot, so that's where my perspective comes from.

The Yak seems a bit easier to fly and more forgiving. It lands much more easily. Literally I could dead-stick it from 50 feet up and land it no problem. The Edge takes a little more "piloting." The Yak had the most crisp, axial rolls. They were awesome! No matter what I do to the edge I get kind of a corkscrew type roll. I've messed around with aileron differential and all and can't seem to correct the problem.

The biggest weak point of the Yak (in my opinion) is the flexible landing gears. Those things are a disaster. I managed to rip out the undercarriage twice and I think it's because the flexing transfered a lot of stress to the attachment poionts. I've never had any issues with the Edge and the only difference is the landing gear legs on the Edge are stiff.

The Edge seems a bit better built too and sturdier but that could also be why the Yak felt easier to fly and more forgiving.

Now if they could just make a stronger canopy for the Yak we'd be in business!
emillard is offline Find More Posts by emillard
Old Jul 21, 2011, 08:16 AM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Dec 2008
50 Posts
The canopy on my Yak came off during flight and hit the stab. The impact shattered the brittle plastic.

Tower has all the parts for the Yak in stock except for, you guessed it, the canopy/hatch cover. I called Tower product support and they pulled one from another Yak and sent it to me. Very good customer service. I was told that they have had a lot of calls about the canopy/hatch cover coming off during flight and getting broken in the process. That is why they do not have any in stock.

However, I love this airplane. It flies like it is on rails with no ugly surprises. My flying buddy also has one. We both like them so much that we both bought another one just in case they become unavailable somewhere down the road.

Bill Hodges
clpahodges is offline Find More Posts by clpahodges
Old Jul 21, 2011, 08:31 AM
ProBro Eric in Jax
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2006
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emillard View Post
So has anyone cracked their canopy yet? I swear that must be the flimsiest thing ever made!

Anyway I smacked up my Yak a few months ago. I was in a nice knife-edge and dumb-thumbed the plane into the ground. Dohhhh!!!

I decided to get the Electrifly Edge 540 (same size) from Tower because it was on sale at the time.

After flying both planes with the same exact setup I can tell you that I think I liked the Yak a little better. I'm a sport-flyer, not a 3D pilot, so that's where my perspective comes from.

The Yak seems a bit easier to fly and more forgiving. It lands much more easily. Literally I could dead-stick it from 50 feet up and land it no problem. The Edge takes a little more "piloting." The Yak had the most crisp, axial rolls. They were awesome! No matter what I do to the edge I get kind of a corkscrew type roll. I've messed around with aileron differential and all and can't seem to correct the problem.

The biggest weak point of the Yak (in my opinion) is the flexible landing gears. Those things are a disaster. I managed to rip out the undercarriage twice and I think it's because the flexing transfered a lot of stress to the attachment poionts. I've never had any issues with the Edge and the only difference is the landing gear legs on the Edge are stiff.

The Edge seems a bit better built too and sturdier but that could also be why the Yak felt easier to fly and more forgiving.

Now if they could just make a stronger canopy for the Yak we'd be in business!
I have a great canopy story. I was in KE at WOT when my Canopy let go.. It some how hit the vertical stab which punched threw the thin blue area causing the Canopy to hang off the rubber/vert sab and since I was in KE when this happen the rubber was stuck at about 35* AOA. I continued in KE and circled back as best I could .. the plane was wicked tail heavy .. got it near the runway and cut throttle.. It landed hard with minor damage to the gear and tore off the pants..

Second part:

I wrote Great Planes customer support about my incident and explained I had been waiting 2 months for a replacement canopy to be in-stock. I got a initial response in 1 day then 2 days later another email stating they had ordered a full fuselage from tower and shipped it to my address.

1 weeks later I had new fuse at my door. I'm very happy with the level of support I received from GP.

I will be adding additional attachment point on my new canopy.

v/r
Eric
Old Jul 21, 2011, 09:38 AM
United States, RI, Providence
Joined Sep 2009
130 Posts
Really nice looking plane,always liked the Yak 55's. Good scheme too.

Nice job with the review.
ant1 is offline Find More Posts by ant1
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:08 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,424 Posts
You guys are making it hard on me I originally planned on moving up to this size from my 47" 3DHS Edge. But then found the AeroWorks 60" Yak 54 and was thinking hard about just moving up to that one. Now I am leaning towards the 55 again. Good grief, make up my mind already
So does anyone have any experience with the Aeroworks 54? I am going electric in it btw.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYSX1&P=7

Thanks
Matt
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:15 AM
ProBro Eric in Jax
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2006
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle72 View Post
You guys are making it hard on me I originally planned on moving up to this size from my 47" 3DHS Edge. But then found the AeroWorks 60" Yak 54 and was thinking hard about just moving up to that one. Now I am leaning towards the 55 again. Good grief, make up my mind already
So does anyone have any experience with the Aeroworks 54? I am going electric in it btw.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYSX1&P=7

Thanks
Matt
2 totally different planes your speaking on.. The 54 is looooose 3d Monster.. this GP 55 is a tight pattern ship with some basic 3d ability. If your moving up from a Edge you might be bored with the 55 if you're a hardcore 3d'er

v/r
Eric.
Last edited by p0stal; Jul 21, 2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: can't spell 4 sh^t
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:29 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,424 Posts
Good point. I am no 3D master but I do enjoy throwing my planes around. I was kind of down on the 55 for not being a 3D machine but then figured it would give me a chance to sharpen my flying skills, so I was set on going sport/precision type flying. Then I found the 54 that will be a good precision flyer + 3D's. But now the thought of 3Ding a 60" plane makes my knees shake. Grrrrr.
Oh well I have some time to think on it before I can purchase either one.

Have you flown the 54? There is not a lot of info on it out there(the larger version seems to be way more popular). What I have heard is promising though.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread with discussions of other models but this is kind of relevant to the discussion, kind of, Maybe?
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:30 PM
ProBro Eric in Jax
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2006
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle72 View Post
Good point. I am no 3D master but I do enjoy throwing my planes around. I was kind of down on the 55 for not being a 3D machine but then figured it would give me a chance to sharpen my flying skills, so I was set on going sport/precision type flying. Then I found the 54 that will be a good precision flyer + 3D's. But now the thought of 3Ding a 60" plane makes my knees shake. Grrrrr.
Oh well I have some time to think on it before I can purchase either one.

Have you flown the 54? There is not a lot of info on it out there(the larger version seems to be way more popular). What I have heard is promising though.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread with discussions of other models but this is kind of relevant to the discussion, kind of, Maybe?

I have flown Several 54's from a Giant Scale Extreme Flight 88" to a 59" Foamy.. It has always been my favorite airframe along with the Sukhoi SU26.
I bought the GP 55M for the same reason you said.. I wanted a fast flying on rails sport/pattern ship.. and I just love the 55 trim scheme also..

v.r
Eric.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:39 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
Yep. I got great customer support from Great Planes too. In fact my original canopy included with the plane came cracked right out of the box. I emailed GP and they sent a new one immediately. Wouldn't you know it a week later the "new" canopy flew off while in flight and tumbled into a patch of weeds. No problem I thought as went to retrieve it. It only hit some weeds right? Yeah those weeds must have made out of tungsten because my canopy had a few nice cracks in it. I didn't have the heart to try to get another one from GP as at that time I thought it was my fault. So I used some CA and packing tape and glued it back together. It worked fine but never really looked that good.

You can easily break the canopy while installing it on the plane. If you are not holding it in the right place, it's not hard to crack the rear while trying to push it in it's slot.

Anyway I miss my Yak 55m. I like that curved tail on the 55 too. You just don't see many of those types of tails.

I actually had mine set up with the Rimfire 32 and a 12x8 prop for some nice quick flying. It would still go vertical but had some decent speed as well.

Oh well...back to my Edge....
emillard is offline Find More Posts by emillard
Old Jul 31, 2011, 02:55 PM
Joined Dec 2008
344 Posts
The weak spot with my Yak is the wheel spats. They sit so low that going over the least bump will either chip a piece off (as happened a few months ago) or like today, just tore one off completely. And at $14.00 dollars a pair I'm just going to remove the other chipped one and not have any at all.

BTW. I know it would not be original, but does anyone know of a set of wheel pants that would fit?

Bob
thinman is offline Find More Posts by thinman
Old Aug 25, 2011, 08:02 AM
Team PAS
United States, MD, Bowie
Joined Mar 2011
457 Posts
Anybody tried using a Power 32 with this plane? Engine mount doesnt work
purcilas is online now Find More Posts by purcilas
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:19 PM
Finland, Tampere Region, Tampere
Joined Apr 2010
28 Posts
I'm planning to order this great looking plane. But one question, has anybody measured how much current the recomended setup takes?
I'm planning to use my old 40A Dualsky ESC and I was wondering is it big enough.
Samppa is offline Find More Posts by Samppa