SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by theK2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:39 PM
3D-wanna-B
Lynchburg, VA
Joined Dec 2008
309 Posts
Discussion
I think I lost something...

This weekend I was so excited to take out the SA CAP for a few more flights. A new bunch of props arrived and also three more 3s 2200mah batteries from David @ Progressive RC. I was ready to go!

Unfortunately the weather thought differently and decided to gust up to 50 mph all weekend.

So today at lunch when I saw the wind was blowing less than 5mph, I ran home and had a quick flight during my lunch hour. Also decided to try to squeeze another flight in before sundown after work. I rushed home and got the plane ready and headed outside. I do live in a neighborhood but the houses are fairly far apart and we have 3 dead-ends on my street so there's no a lot of traffic and the yards are fairly large (plenty of room for landing without being near cars, people or the houses). I would guess there's a solid 50-60 yards from front of house to front of house. I know it's not the best idea, but my neighbors are cool with it and I only do it when I can't make it to the school to play on the field.

I go outside and check the control surfaces and my neighbor across the street pulls up just as I taxi out of the driveway. He greets me and I him just as I throttle up and take off. He hadn't seen me fly before so I was gonna give him a show. Full throttle climb out - straight vertical - nearly out of sight. About 150 feet up, my gear let go. He looks over and says,"Hope you didn't need that." "If that was the pilot, you're in trouble." LOL!

The gear "floated" down to earth and the brace shattered on impact. Having FIRM roots (and having learned to fly) on sailplanes, belly landings were no big deal to me and I had enough spare props now to where even if the prop caught and snapped, I wasn't concerned. Belly landed it perfectly after about a 12-15 minute flight.

Here's what's left of the gear:

This is the first thing I have ever broken on a plane. Good luck I guess and even this is a simple fix --- and completely my fault for forgetting to firmly glue/secure the gear into the fuse. Lesson learned but flight #4 in the books.

On a side note, it's been A LONG TIME since I've rushed home, excited about anything. It's so great to be getting back into the hobby. My StevensAero SkyBoy should be here this weekend! Now I just gotta figure out where I'm gonna store these planes.
theK2 is offline Find More Posts by theK2
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:47 AM
into the wild blue yonder
United States, OR, Dundee
Joined Dec 2010
654 Posts
Lol

man that's so funny, at our club we have a bonner award each month ,and that would be a winner...sounds like you saved it...way to go...
Barney Boy is offline Find More Posts by Barney Boy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: X-8 X650f ready for autopilot
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:27 AM
3D-wanna-B
Lynchburg, VA
Joined Dec 2008
309 Posts
Yeah that was Bonner Award worthy for sure. A definite DOLT moment. But in the grand scheme of things a minor mistake. Now if the wings had come off... LOL
theK2 is offline Find More Posts by theK2