Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:12 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,981 Posts
“Naked” Aspires…. With “HUGE” red stabs! Sluts!?......You guys should be ashamed of your selves! I am appalled!

PS: Hey LJ.... is my Aspire going to have "blue" clothes on? I hope so.
Kyle Paulson is offline Find More Posts by Kyle Paulson
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2011, 02:25 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,767 Posts
AS Requested Dr Paulson.
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:06 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,981 Posts
Looking froward.......

Butt Naked would be nice too though....
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:10 AM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
682 Posts
Thanks for your comment about chosing your models

Hi Mike,
I'm a little late with this comment but I try to read everything from the guys who have put in the hours and thought about our hobby and your comment about how you choose a model for your contest season really struck a chord with me. Because of my travels to so many flying sites and clubs in the USA (and other places:-), and having owned many of the new models to come along during my time in the hobby, I got to see first hand how wrong it was that that top pilots only chose models given to them and that it didn't matter what they flew because their skills were so extrodinary. The day JW won an unlimited contest using a bent up foamy, marked the day that many modelers in the USA considered his (and other world class pilot's) contest model choice as irrelevent.

For years after there was the stigma that JW or DP (or you) could win with anything....and that actually hurt the hobby in someways....because no one said what you did in your comment...that while they can win with about anything, they (and you) 'choose' their models to optimize their chances at winning. Not because they get models for free.
Thanks for posting that comment.
Gordy

I would like to clarify my comments in case there might be those that would discredit my comments thinking that I or others might have a specific agenda that is driving the positive posts regarding the Aspire. The truth is that I do have an agenda. My agenda is to set out to prove to myself that my choice in a glider (for reasons like "it looks cool" or "Airfoils by Herrig" or "availability of parts and service" whatever the reason may be) does not cost me when it comes to performance. I chose a glider for my own reasons, and then I fly it and if it performs, I keep it. If it doesn't I usually keep it anyway, and if it just doesn't get flown very much, then I will sell it. So for me to post my subjective, non scientific opinions regarding the Aspire or any glider, it is simply sharing with anyone that might be interested my thought process, and my observations that lead me to having the confidence it takes to go head to head against other top gliders like Explorer's, Supra's, and Icon 2's.

Based on my post above, I do believe that any disadvantage I may have compared to another pilot flying a different model is on the human side of the sticks.

I hope this helps clarify my agenda to interested readers. If I was being paid to fly Aspire, I could not make this statement. But, like everybody else, I have to think long and hard about what gliders I would be willing to shell out big bucks for, and Aspire is my J/TD top pick. So that is where my money went.

Gordysoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordysoar
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:11 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,897 Posts
Thanks for that Gordy. I really appreciate your post.

Cheers.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:17 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,981 Posts
Maybe I should cancel my order for an Aspire and go buy a "bent up foamy" so I can win like JW!
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:38 PM
Play loud, Fly high
Vincennes,IN USA
Joined Apr 2007
649 Posts
RED paint eats foam!
Gil Gauger is offline Find More Posts by Gil Gauger
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:33 PM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,334 Posts
Just a quick clarification... JW didn't win a major unlimited comp with a foamy... he won the two meter portion of the contest at the Rose Bowl 2 day with it one year. Still quite an achievement.
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:21 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,981 Posts
Ok.... I won't buy a "bent up foamy"
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:17 AM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,417 Posts
I miss the Rose Bowl...it was a very unique place to fly...
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:22 AM
LSF V aspirant
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,404 Posts
You can still fly there...just no more contests.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:43 AM
Joined Jan 2004
919 Posts
My Super V is still in the hills some where by the Rose Bowl

sj
SmokinJoe101 is offline Find More Posts by SmokinJoe101
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:21 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,767 Posts
There you go DP killing the Legend Off..........

Bent Foam, only 2 rubberbands, and it was a pieceocrap TG3 sorta scaly thing too...... The wing broke so he had to fly the box it came in for the last round..Gotta landing too!!!
Didn't find air had to do the YODA thing and will it, to stay up...
JT was there and signed off JW's honorary level 5 win since the internet was not invented yet..
So Gordy did not exist
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Mar 25, 2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:39 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,495 Posts
The thing that I recall about this particular Rose Bowl contest was (after the contest) JW tossing the thing nose first into the ground, it bouncing back up and right into a trash can. Didn't stay there, but I figured he had basketball skills to go with the flying thing.

I think it it was a DAW TG-3.

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Mar 25, 2011, 04:02 PM
Play loud, Fly high
Vincennes,IN USA
Joined Apr 2007
649 Posts
Legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
There you go DP killing the Legend Off..........

Bent Foam, only 2 rubberbands, and it was a pieceocrap TG3 sorta scaly thing too...... The wing broke so he had to fly the box it came in for the last round..Gotta landing too!!!
Didn't find air had to do the YODA thing and will it, to stay up...
JT was there and signed off JW's honorary level 5 win since the internet was not invented yet..
So Gordy did not exist
This may be the best ever post on Groups, particularly the last line.
Gil Gauger is offline Find More Posts by Gil Gauger