HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:35 PM
Much to my CHAGRIN . . .
Bellflower, CA
Joined Mar 2005
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I'm working on getting my next 2 models... This will be one of them...
Good choice. My current Aspire at a touch over 80 ozs., never disappoints. The more I fly it, the more I love flying it. I have a new Disser version due to arrive in a month or so, and I'm really looking forward to flying a lighter Aspire. Larry's handles amazingly well and is even more of a pleasure to fly.

MC
machild is offline Find More Posts by machild
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:05 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,900 Posts
OK, after flying all but one flight with my new Disser Aspire in Arizona, I can, without any doubt, say that this glider is the best light air glider that I have ever flown. The minimum sink performance on this model gives me the confidence I need to launch and hang and know that I will be coming down as slow, or slower than the rest of the field. Super sweet glider. The coolest thing is that at 72 oz. it still has enough wing loading to perform in light to moderate breezes. Heck I even flew it in the 15 to 20 we had on Saturday and Sunday without adding any ballast. I always wait until its absolutely necessary to add ballast anyway, but with performance like this, and at least a little wing loading, one can still get the glider to cover ground without the lead.

I did some very purposefull comparisons while competing at the J in the desert event, and my feelings were confirmed to my satisfaction. I wish I could have had one more side by side comparison, but it didn't pan out. I won't mention my tests, because they weren't scientific, and I won't mention the gliders that I was comparing to. Don't wanna bash any other gliders out there, only want to tout the Aspire, and the awesome worksmanship of Lubos Pazderka to produce a model that seems to do exactly what Andreas Herrig intended when the airfoils were designed.

Pictures will be coming shortly. It is a very pretty red glider.

Cheers.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:29 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,769 Posts
Thanks Mike,
I watched some of your tests and was happy that my thoughts of the Aspire were confirmed. Note should be made of the perfomance of several other Aspire pilots especially Tom Watson, Fred Sena, and Mike Reagan. If some of you are considering an Aspire for the Team Trials, I need to know soon so I can work something out with Lubos. It was a great contest and my Aspires never left me wanting. LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Feb 21, 2011, 08:05 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,769 Posts
Here are a couple of shots of Mikes new all Disser Aspire. LJ
Old Feb 21, 2011, 08:45 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,209 Posts
I can tell you that between Larry's and Mikes there were a couple of times that the guys on my team commented that they must have helium in the wings! When they needed to out float everyone else they did so in style. To be fair, I think pilot skill may have had a "little" to do with it as well, but they certainly were not hampered by their choice of airframe.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:23 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
Here are a couple of shots of Mikes new all Disser Aspire. LJ
Nice colour scheme!

Have you tested the limits of disser lamination? I have flown mine quite carefully. Spar seems to be fairly stiff for an ultra light plane, but I am little worried about the torsional stiffness and flutter.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:13 AM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
959 Posts
Where to buy an Aspire in Europe?

Where can I buy an Aspire easiest in Europe, directly from Aspire Composite Models or?

/Ville
liukku is online now Find More Posts by liukku
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:12 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,769 Posts
Tuomo,
I haven't had a problem so far. I am not babying my models though. As you know all lite models will have their limits.
Ville, please conatact Lubos Pazderka at www.info@f3j.cz
Old Feb 22, 2011, 09:26 AM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,441 Posts
Damn you and your lightweight thermal machines!!
Avaldes is online now Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:11 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,900 Posts
Tuomo, I hammered my glider into the ground for a couple of landings, and one was significantly harder than I intended it to be. The glider withstood the beating very well. I am happy with its strength.

I would like to clarify my comments in case there might be those that would discredit my comments thinking that I or others might have a specific agenda that is driving the positive posts regarding the Aspire. The truth is that I do have an agenda. My agenda is to set out to prove to myself that my choice in a glider (for reasons like "it looks cool" or "Airfoils by Herrig" or "availability of parts and service" whatever the reason may be) does not cost me when it comes to performance. I chose a glider for my own reasons, and then I fly it and if it performs, I keep it. If it doesn't I usually keep it anyway, and if it just doesn't get flown very much, then I will sell it. So for me to post my subjective, non scientific opinions regarding the Aspire or any glider, it is simply sharing with anyone that might be interested my thought process, and my observations that lead me to having the confidence it takes to go head to head against other top gliders like Explorer's, Supra's, and Icon 2's.

Based on my post above, I do believe that any disadvantage I may have compared to another pilot flying a different model is on the human side of the sticks.

I hope this helps clarify my agenda to interested readers. If I was being paid to fly Aspire, I could not make this statement. But, like everybody else, I have to think long and hard about what gliders I would be willing to shell out big bucks for, and Aspire is my J/TD top pick. So that is where my money went.

Hope this finds you all well.

Cheers.

Mike
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:20 PM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,441 Posts
Mike do I have to put a curse on you too? I already put the hex on Larry above
Avaldes is online now Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:38 PM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
Tuomo, I hammered my glider into the ground for a couple of landings, and one was significantly harder than I intended it to be. The glider withstood the beating very well. I am happy with its strength.
I was thinking of launches, not landings. Aspire seems to take F3J landings quite well. Pike Perfect fuselage is much more prone to break sideways.

I understand what you mean when talking about plane choise. Aspire is easy to like. Aspire handles soo well and the performance never really lets you down. A reliable plane in contest environment.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:53 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo View Post
I was thinking of launches, not landings. Aspire seems to take F3J landings quite well. Pike Perfect fuselage is much more prone to break sideways.

I understand what you mean when talking about plane choise. Aspire is easy to like. Aspire handles soo well and the performance never really lets you down. A reliable plane in contest environment.
Regarding launches, yes, it takes a hard tow. I noticed more wing flex than my normal layup Aspire, so it would make sense to use the Disser in light wind conditions to utilize full, uninhibited launches, and save the normal layup for the higher wind conditions...

Mike
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:53 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaldes View Post
Mike do I have to put a curse on you too? I already put the hex on Larry above
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:22 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Aaron... just vandalise his disser... I owe him one...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman