HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:53 PM
Say watt?!
United States, FL, Miami Lakes
Joined May 2009
278 Posts
Looking good, Peter. How long does it take you to clean the basement after a build like this?
killerwin is offline Find More Posts by killerwin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:47 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,690 Posts
spackle is your friend lol. i have used heaps of it
Doushiyou12 is offline Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:50 AM
Go FASST or go home...
Bergen, Norway
Joined Nov 2002
3,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killioughtta View Post
Looking good, Peter. How long does it take you to clean the basement after a build like this?
Why clean it? I don't get it

Looks just fine to me!

Ben_E
Ben_E is offline Find More Posts by Ben_E
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:51 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
yeah, it wouldn't take too much to modify your nose. just a bit of sanding to the right shape, if it's solid foam.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:54 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
Took me 3 days to clean the basement from where it was to now where it is. Spent last night fixing the nose and adding some spackle and started building the wing box. Now I have to figure out how to shape the wing box....
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:07 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
you are doing a wing box construction, like my 57? face the top and bottom of vertical edges with balsa and then use your wing ribs for solidity and then skin the top and bottom. I am also using coffee filter paper and WBPU on the inside edges as a composite sandwich. the whole structure is incredibly strong and light.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:17 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
Got to remember the coffie filter paper wbpu trick! Sounds intresting.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:02 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I'm also doing the entire outer shell of the fuselage with coffee filter paper and WBPU. it's very hard when dry and light. not quite as strong as glassing with epoxy, but very good for what it is.

here's how my wing box is constructed: the wing is in three pieces before final joining, the two outer and the central wing section. I knew the thickness of each wing rib, so I was able to make a template of the two wing spars, as if looking from the front and rear. these are your vertical surfaces of the wing box. decide what thickness your balsa facing will be (I used 1/8 inch) and cut spar out of foam to suit. this balsa facing will give the foam incredible strength. make the rear spar the same way. your foam wing ribs link the structure together, but I remove every other rib, to allow the wing to flex somewhat. this extra space also allows for internals such as flap mechanics, etc. remember to make the rib in the nacelle pylon location out of ply or a composite sandwich of foam and two balsa layers. I join the outer panels to the inner panel with a male/female join and epoxy. the join is at the ply rib for the engine pylon for extra strength in that location.

just thought I'de share how I did it.

Rich
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:38 PM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Pictures please, great progress being done on this model, spending good amount of time on her......lolz
Concordefan is offline Find More Posts by Concordefan
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:01 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
I'm also doing the entire outer shell of the fuselage with coffee filter paper and WBPU. it's very hard when dry and light. not quite as strong as glassing with epoxy, but very good for what it is.

here's how my wing box is constructed: the wing is in three pieces before final joining, the two outer and the central wing section. I knew the thickness of each wing rib, so I was able to make a template of the two wing spars, as if looking from the front and rear. these are your vertical surfaces of the wing box. decide what thickness your balsa facing will be (I used 1/8 inch) and cut spar out of foam to suit. this balsa facing will give the foam incredible strength. make the rear spar the same way. your foam wing ribs link the structure together, but I remove every other rib, to allow the wing to flex somewhat. this extra space also allows for internals such as flap mechanics, etc. remember to make the rib in the nacelle pylon location out of ply or a composite sandwich of foam and two balsa layers. I join the outer panels to the inner panel with a male/female join and epoxy. the join is at the ply rib for the engine pylon for extra strength in that location.

just thought I'de share how I did it.

Rich
huh? got pics? good info though, I had to read it a few times though (my incompetent mind cant figure out what i'm reading)
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:13 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
pics, as requested
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:18 PM
Say watt?!
United States, FL, Miami Lakes
Joined May 2009
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
huh?
^
|
|____ What he said...
killerwin is offline Find More Posts by killerwin
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:27 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
wing box pics

here's a few pics from Olle's A380 build. mine is built exactly the same way. I'll post pics of mine tomorrow, but they look exactly the same as these.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:32 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
thanks Rich, pictures are (literally) worth a thousand words.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:39 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
yup, you get the point now. LOL. it's all good. the good thing about a wing box structure, is that it will be incredibly strong, just like the real thing. the other added benefit is that it will allow the wing to flex and flap like the full size too.