HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:09 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,250 Posts
Point made
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Last edited by JimNM; Apr 27, 2011 at 10:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:25 AM
Fountain Valley, CA USA
Joined Oct 2000
500 Posts
We admit it, the Phoenix name was not exactly a new one (probably used about a million times). But Phase 3 has never had a "Phoenix I". The Phoenix II is called that because it's a 2M. So, they thought they'd call it Phoenix II for 2-Meter. I didn't name it.

Anyway, I'm not sure what "Phoenix I" you're talking about but it's not a Phase 3 airplane that I'm aware of.

Mike
Mike Greenshields is offline Find More Posts by Mike Greenshields
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:22 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJohnson View Post
So if you leave the door open on your car, and a truck comes by and hits the door ripping it off its two small screws do you call that a bad design?
The car door isn't held by two small screws, they are solid hinges which do their job quite well and are an nexample of good design. But even so no one would expect the door to withstand the force of a truck colliding with it.

A wing tip that just bumps the ground and breaks away at the root when other wings like those on the Mpx EZG or EZ* will not break. They will merely swing out of their saddle. That's what I call good design. I've had six Mpx gliders. All have had crashes. Never broken a wing.

Now Phoenix is copying Mpx wing design with their v.3 Phoenix 2.
And I'll bet the Phoenix 2000 which is what I have, will be discontinued.
Berkie is online now Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:35 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greenshields View Post
We admit it, the Phoenix name was not exactly a new one (probably used about a million times). But Phase 3 has never had a "Phoenix I". The Phoenix II is called that because it's a 2M. So, they thought they'd call it Phoenix II for 2-Meter. I didn't name it.

Anyway, I'm not sure what "Phoenix I" you're talking about but it's not a Phase 3 airplane that I'm aware of.

Mike
It's a Phoenix 2000 I have. If the v.3 is not related then my apologies for assuming it is a replacement for the Phoenix 2000.

But my judgement on the 2000 remains the same. It is of very poor design.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:42 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,452 Posts
[QUOTE=Berkie;18072700]The car door isn't held by two small screws, they are solid hinges which do their job quite well and are an nexample of good design. But even so no one would expect the door to withstand the force of a truck colliding with it.

A wing tip that just bumps the ground and breaks away at the root when other wings like those on the Mpx EZG or EZ* will not break. They will merely swing out of their saddle. That's what I call good design. I've had six Mpx gliders. All have had crashes. Never broken a wing.

Now Phoenix is copying Mpx wing design with their v.3 Phoenix 2.
And I'll bet the Phoenix 2000 which is what I have, will be discontinued.[/QUOTE]

Oh, so you have a completely different plane from a different company with a similar name. Note that the MPX planes you reference are made of a completely different foam.

Thanks for letting us know.

For those of us who do not follow your original logic, there are things we might suggest.

* Learn to land your plane properly so you don't break the wing
* If you can't land without breaking the wing, then modify the wing mount.
* If you see something that may need some enhancement, enhance it and share this with everyone else so they can gain from your experience.
* Look before you buy. Evaluate every part and every piece. If it does not meet your approval, don't buy it.
* If you truly feel there is something defective, contact the retailer and the mfg and ask to get it fixed.

But don't go trashing a company for producing a product just because it has a name similar to a product you bought from a different company. You will get no sympathy or support here.

Is this your plane?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...3994&aff=55290

$79 for a bind and fly ready 2M glider with a brushless motor. You bought cheap and you got cheap. And since you are here, complaning about it, I presume you got lousy customer service too. Hopefully you have learned from your experience.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Apr 26, 2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:01 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,452 Posts
May we suggest a replacement plane?

How about the Phoenix II from Hobby People?
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-and-prop.html

Ths uses a proven wing mounting approach which is also used by the Radian and the Easy Glider. Hopefully you will find this more acceptible.

I will admit I don't have a Phoenix II but Hobby People has a good reputation for customer support. If you run into a problem I am sure you will have a good customer support experience.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:10 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,216 Posts
Aejr
I have read your post 66

Oh, so you have a completely different plane from a different company with a similar name.

My original post said "Is this a replacement for their Phoenix I?"
Also you should have read post 64 first.

* Learn to land your plane properly so you don't break the wing

The wings don't break on other gliders such as Mpx even though they aren't landed properly

* If you can't land without breaking the wing, then modify the wing mount.

It should not be the customer's job to correct a poor original design

* If you see something that may need some enhancement, enhance it and share this with everyone else so they can gain from your experience.

If I could see such a way I would

* Look before you buy. Evaluate every part and every piece. If it does not meet your approval, don't buy it.

This was an internet purchase. A disadvantage of the internet as opposed to the LHS is you can't lay your hands on it. As usual I read all the reviews. Many commented on other issues but not the wing design which would only show up after they had been flying for a while. This was a new product

* If you truly feel there is something defective, contact the retailer and the mfg and ask to get it fixed.

You have assumed I had not. I had already been negotiating with HK over a week before my post here

But don't go trashing a company for producing a product just because it has a name similar to a product you bought from a different company. You will get no sympathy or support here.

My original post said "Is this a replacement for their Phoenix I?"
Also you should have read post 64 first.
[I]

[I]Is this your plane?

Yes

$79 for a bind and fly ready 2M glider with a brushless motor. You bought cheap and you got cheap.

Well I wouldn't call $119 for the v.3 expensive

I presume you got lousy customer service too.

You have made another erroneous presumption. This is on my account page at HK

Welcome Platinum member!
We take our customers membership very seriously, and as a platinum member you will be given the best service possible with prioritisation in support issues and warranty claims.
Platinum members can also enjoy the very best pricing from our store and receive exclusive discount emails.
As a Platinum member we value you as a customer greatly and will try our best to ensure your expectations are met.

EliteClub member
You are currently an EliteClub member, which means you have either placed a substantial number of orders or contributed greatly to the R/C Community.
As an EliteClub member you are also offered certain privileges which will be communicated to you via email or in your account section (here) from time to time.
EliteClub members can also use the 'Bug-The-Boss' feature. Allowing you to send a short message directly to HobbyKings director informing him of an issue or suggestion.

I will pursue the issue to their Australian CEO as they invite me to.

Hopefully you have learned from your experience.

My reason for posting was to make others aware so they don't make the same mistake as I did. I was not looking for support. I appreciate it when others try to warn me.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:23 AM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,035 Posts
And we have yet another satisfied HK Customer learning the hard way. I am sorry you had to go through all of that.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:54 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Just to reiterate Mike's post (#62), the Phoneix II by Phase 3 - available from Hobby People, is not a replacement for anything. It is a new model named "II" for its 2 meter wingspan and no relation to the other company that makes a sailplane of a similar name.

Most of Berkie's posts are irrelevant in this thread, as he is talking about a different plane from a different manufacturer.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:17 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,147 Posts
Tim & Cspaced, will it be necessary to mod this plane in any way? Do y'all think that I should reinforce anything for those " just in case" situations?
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:23 PM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,035 Posts
There are two things that I have done to my airplane.

The first thing I did was use a bit of epoxy on the tail. I just did not want to trust double side tape to hold my tail on. I am just odd that way.

The second thing I did was add 1/4 ounce of led right behind the motor. There is a perfect little spot for it. You will know it when you see it. This extra 1/4 ounce allowed me to balance the airplane at absolute neutral. That gave me more flexibility on battery packs, and helped keep the airplane balanced when the camera on strapped on.

Other than paint on the canopy, my Phoenix II is "Stock"

Oh, I added a longer piece of Velcro for the battery.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:53 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,147 Posts
Thanks Mr. Tim! I will definitely do that when it comes in Friday.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:10 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
I painted my canopy too, looks pretty cool
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:08 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,147 Posts
What's the heaviest battery you two ever flown with a will continue to fly with? And why?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:35 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
I've only ever used the 1500mah 3 cell lipo that came with the plane. I haven't felt a need to change it out yet, I get plenty of power and flight time with it.
RCG Plus Member