HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:45 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Sneak peek from yesterday, had a busy day today so haven't had a chance to work on the vid - maybe tomorrow.

CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2011, 07:15 PM
Joined Mar 2006
5 Posts
First Flight

I got mine in the air yesterday, It is a really nice aircraft for the money. It climbs like a bandit, Appears to have a good glide ratio, And is good at indicting lift. Very predictable handling. I can't wait to fly it on a good thermal day!.
I had a trainer box setup for a friend who is learning to fly. I think he may have ordered his Phoenix on the ride home. I would recommend this plane for a supervised beginner pilot.
L
lesM301 is offline Find More Posts by lesM301
Old Apr 05, 2011, 05:08 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,256 Posts
that is a nice looking plane.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Apr 05, 2011, 06:12 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesM301 View Post
I got mine in the air yesterday, It is a really nice aircraft for the money. It climbs like a bandit, Appears to have a good glide ratio, And is good at indicting lift. Very predictable handling. I can't wait to fly it on a good thermal day!.
I had a trainer box setup for a friend who is learning to fly. I think he may have ordered his Phoenix on the ride home. I would recommend this plane for a supervised beginner pilot.
L
I don't know how experienced you are, so you may not be able to answer these questions.

EPP tends to be be very rubbery where Elapor and Zfoam are much more rigid but not as brittle as EPS/Styrofoam. If you understand my question, can you comment on the foam?

What kind of a climb angle are you getting? 45 degrees? 60 degrees? Steeper?

Any other details would be most welcome.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 05, 2011, 07:17 PM
Joined Mar 2006
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
I don't know how experienced you are, so you may not be able to answer these questions.

EPP tends to be be very rubbery where Elapor and Zfoam are much more rigid but not as brittle as EPS/Styrofoam. If you understand my question, can you comment on the foam?

What kind of a climb angle are you getting? 45 degrees? 60 degrees? Steeper?

Any other details would be most welcome.
It is a large, closed cell foam that I believe is true EPP. -If you are familiar with the other Phase3 planes like the F16 (which I believe is more of EPS/styrofoam blend), The Pheonix is much more ding and dent resistant. It has that rubbery feel that I associate with EPP.

I did not try to max out the climb, But I'm guessing 35 - 50 degrees of climb. From holding the plane straight up and full throttle, I would estimate that it is making around 25 oz. of thrust. Mine weighs in at 34 oz., So a decent power to weight ratio for a motor glider.

About 30 seconds of power put the plane at a good thermal hunting level. I am terrible at guessing altitude, So I won't. The glide ratio stays very good if you are gentle with the stick inputs. If you pull on it hard, It will drop the nose and accelerate. I typically fly a little tail heavy so that the plane will lift a wingtip when it finds lift, So this might be a factor also.

All in all, I think this is going to be one of my favorites for keeping in the car and catching a thermal or two on the way home from work.

Hope that helps and happy flying.

L
Old Apr 05, 2011, 09:46 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,843 Posts
There are far too many R/C products with the name Phoenix... it all gets confusing
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Apr 05, 2011, 10:23 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesM301 View Post
It is a large, closed cell foam that I believe is true EPP. -If you are familiar with the other Phase3 planes like the F16 (which I believe is more of EPS/styrofoam blend), The Pheonix is much more ding and dent resistant. It has that rubbery feel that I associate with EPP.

I did not try to max out the climb, But I'm guessing 35 - 50 degrees of climb. From holding the plane straight up and full throttle, I would estimate that it is making around 25 oz. of thrust. Mine weighs in at 34 oz., So a decent power to weight ratio for a motor glider.

About 30 seconds of power put the plane at a good thermal hunting level. I am terrible at guessing altitude, So I won't. The glide ratio stays very good if you are gentle with the stick inputs. If you pull on it hard, It will drop the nose and accelerate. I typically fly a little tail heavy so that the plane will lift a wingtip when it finds lift, So this might be a factor also.

All in all, I think this is going to be one of my favorites for keeping in the car and catching a thermal or two on the way home from work.

Hope that helps and happy flying.

L
Great report. Thanks!
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 09, 2011, 02:43 PM
Its Just a Game Of Drones
Joined Sep 2010
48 Posts
does anyone know the folding prop size to the phoenix? can find its specs anywhere

fell off midflight after a bind error and a nose dive when launching ..fixed it,flew it ,went ok,next thing i know a flight after the whole spinner and prop went off
any help??
LUCKY_LOTUS is offline Find More Posts by LUCKY_LOTUS
Old Apr 09, 2011, 07:52 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
I'll take a look at mine - is there a particular way to measure it if it doesn't have the number molded on the prop?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2011, 09:32 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Well, there are no visible markings on the prop - hope this photo helps. It looks to be about 3.75" in length.

RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2011, 09:46 PM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,035 Posts
May be Monday, I will have a pitch. I sent an email asking about it.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Apr 09, 2011, 10:57 PM
Joined Mar 2006
5 Posts
The prop on mine matches up very close to a Graupner CAM 20-11 ( 9 - 4.5" ) folder.
L
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:50 PM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,035 Posts
The prop is 9x7.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:46 PM
Joined Apr 2011
29 Posts
Hi could anyone help me?/ I have Phoenix 2000 , why do my flaps go up im using jrpropo dsx7
zandamandag is offline Find More Posts by zandamandag
Old Apr 16, 2011, 02:02 PM
Its Just a Game Of Drones
Joined Sep 2010
48 Posts
got a 10x6 folding prop suggested by a friend.. .. just got it today tommorow i might test it
i'll let u know
LUCKY_LOTUS is offline Find More Posts by LUCKY_LOTUS