HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Now, if we knew the Phoenix's performance in stock form, that would help. And if the Phoenix could be tuned to this level of performance with only minor tweaks it too could become popuar for this format, adding ailerons that the Radian lacks.
Attached is a screenshot from FlightView of one my flights with a stock (receiver and battery connecters have been changed) Phoenix II, using the included battery. The weather was extremely calm, no lift or sink anywhere.

Name: PhoenixII.jpg
Views: 66
Size: 104.2 KB
Description:

I was able to achieve a climb rate of 1042 ft/min of a 25 second period during this flight. I typically get around 1000 ft/min climbing somewhere close to a 45 degree angle.

Chocula
Chocula is offline Find More Posts by Chocula
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:00 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,204 Posts
Chocula - what is your base level above sea level?
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:49 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocula View Post
Attached is a screenshot from FlightView of one my flights with a stock (receiver and battery connecters have been changed) Phoenix II, using the included battery. The weather was extremely calm, no lift or sink anywhere.

Attachment 4918423

I was able to achieve a climb rate of 1042 ft/min of a 25 second period during this flight. I typically get around 1000 ft/min climbing somewhere close to a 45 degree angle.

Chocula
That was VERY helpful. so 1000 feet/minute = 500 in 30 seconds, maybe a little more accounting for voltage sag as the climb contiues. So let's say you could hit about 550 feet in 30 seconds or about 160 meters, all very round numbers.

That is about 20 meters short of a stock Radian and about the same as a stock Radian Pro.

Now the question is what is the amperage to do that and can the stock ESC and motor handle more? The Radian and Pro have 30 amp ESC, so people have been upping the props a little to get them to about 20 to 22 amps to hit the altitude target. I think the Phoenix II has an 18 amp ESC so you would need to change the prop and the ESC if you upped the prop.

Not knocking anything. Just looking at what it would take to make the Phoenix II more competitive in the climb with the least investment or modification to make it more attractive to pilots interested in ALES. I have no idea how well it thermals. That is a different question.

What is the stock prop on the Phoenix II? What is the stock battery size and C rating?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jun 06, 2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
Chocula - what is your base level above sea level?
The field I was at is about 100 feet above sea level.

Quote:
What is the stock prop on the Phoenix II? What is the stock battery size and C rating?
The stock battery is 1500mAh and has not visible C rating. Based on physical size, I would estimate it to be less that 15C. I forgot to check the prop size.

If memory servers me correctly, the motor was pulling 18 amps when static tested using a bench power supply. The ESC heated up quickly, but the motor remained cool. I believe the motor can take a larger prop, but not the ESC.

-Chocula
Chocula is offline Find More Posts by Chocula
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:20 AM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
Pheonix 2 for ALES

We have a growing group and a field about 1/4 miles from my house that has recently gone buggy for ALES type of fun. Although I have been away from gliders for about 15 years and have only been flying my DW Foamies 40 inch 3D Extra 300. I have become a HUGE fan of foam airplanes! (something that I turned my nose up at10 years ago). Times have changed!

Anyway. I have my eye on this airplane as a beginner entry into ALES type of fun. Lighter than the Radian Pro. (I prefer ailerons as I am used to the set up). (and they look way cooler). Aileron plug ins connect easier, spare wings and fuse are available.

Looks like a winner. Looking forward to any experiences out there with this plane vs the other foamy gliders in ALES competition. I think that this model will be my next airplane.
Chris Arena is offline Find More Posts by Chris Arena
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:22 AM
Former Futaba employee
Joined Aug 2006
1,178 Posts
anyone buying 1 on the 4th of july sale?
keyman923 is offline Find More Posts by keyman923
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:31 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocula View Post

Attachment 4918423

Chocula
Quote:
That was VERY helpful. so 1000 feet/minute = 500 in 30 seconds, maybe a little more accounting for voltage sag as the climb contiues. So let's say you could hit about 550 feet in 30 seconds or about 160 meters, all very round numbers.

That is about 20 meters short of a stock Radian and about the same as a stock Radian Pro.

Now the question is what is the amperage to do that and can the stock ESC and motor handle more? The Radian and Pro have 30 amp ESC, so people have been upping the props a little to get them to about 20 to 22 amps to hit the altitude target. I think the Phoenix II has an 18 amp ESC so you would need to change the prop and the ESC if you upped the prop.

Not knocking anything. Just looking at what it would take to make the Phoenix II more competitive in the climb with the least investment or modification to make it more attractive to pilots interested in ALES. I have no idea how well it thermals. That is a different question.

Has anyone tried different props or batteries on the Phoneix 2 to see if it can achieve a better climb with only a prop/battery change?

I had exchanged e-mail with Hobby People about having them test out the set-up for higer amps to get a better climb but they have not gotten back to me with any test results.

Also, how well does this bird thermal compared to Easy Glider Pro, Radian or Radian Pro?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:08 PM
Flying Bucks
United States, PA, Bucks
Joined Oct 2011
156 Posts
Sorry to bump.

My Phoenix II stock motor is dead. Can someone help me with finding a replacement. I'm okay with upgrading the esc and prop for a beefier motor. Any help would be appreciated.

Anyone got anything used that might work?
Milktruck is offline Find More Posts by Milktruck
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:26 PM
VegasRay
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2005
192 Posts
Phoenix Motor

Milktruck - check out Altitude Hobbies web site (http://altitudehobbies.com/). I just ordered a Suppo 2814/8 motor for my almost new Phase 3 Phoenix. The stock motor performs nicely but it is a bit weak for ALES events. The 2814 is a stronger replacement for the Radian/Radian-Pro 480 motor. Somewhere in the range of 350 watts. You'll need at least a 40 amp ESC. This is a sailplane so the new motor and 40 amp ESC should be used for climbs to altitude, not extended powered flights.

The Phoenix stock prop, spinner and adaptor was lost on the second flight (I didn't check the set screw) so I tried a stock Radian setup. Fit was perfect and the performance is about the same as with the stock setup.

By the way I weighed both my Radian-Pro and the Phoenix and found the Phoenix is 1.2 ounces heavier at 35.4 ounces, ready to fly, with a slightly smaller motor then the R-Pro. Both planes thermal about equally so the Phoenix gets the nod from me.

My Phoenix needed several minor tweaks (ESC cooling, pushrod flex, canopy attachment, etc.) but overall a real nice model.

Hope this helps,
Ray
VegasRay is offline Find More Posts by VegasRay
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:14 PM
Old newb
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2003
165 Posts
Awakening an old thread....

I await delivery of my RTF Phoenix II I purchased on sale at the local Hobby People store. Now I await my special order....soon...soon....

$139 on sale complete.

Waiting waiting.....

Besides

- making sure the vents are not plugged,
- magnets for the canopy,
- velcro for the wings
- and glue the tail on,

what else do I want to do before I fly it?

TIA,
Walt in San Diego
r39o is offline Find More Posts by r39o
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:58 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,135 Posts
Afterwards, you can get this for the same price.....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1706026
G-LO is online now Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Mar 26, 2013, 04:45 PM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r39o View Post

I await delivery of my RTF Phoenix II I purchased on sale at the local Hobby People store. Now I await my special order....soon...soon....

$139 on sale complete.

Waiting waiting.....

Besides

- velcro for the wings
- and glue the tail on,

TIA,
Walt in San Diego
Have fun and enjoy your flying. That is all you will need to do. The newer versions of the Phoenix II have Magnets for the canopy already installed.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old May 06, 2013, 09:59 AM
United States, FL, Stuart
Joined Apr 2013
609 Posts
I picked up a used Phoenix II from a buddy and had an excellent day yesterday learning how to fly in pretty gusty winds while most were on the ground. While learning how to hand launch I did a couple of loops that beat up the nose a little and needed some repairs. Right back out on the afternoon and evening for a couple more flights to test out the repairs. Everything worked nice so I spent the evening setting it up with a gopro hero 3 (in case) in the belly.

This morning, I did a couple of laps around the field and then it went into a spiral that I couldn't recover.

I left the sound on in the video and you can hear a loud Pop at 6 seconds. I tried high rate, low rate switch but no luck. A quick test on the field showed the servos were still working. Who knows...maybe my repair or camera modification or just and old servo caused an issue.

So anybody try burning one of these things to make it rise?

I donated it to one of our locals that has over 40 planes and time to rebuild and test.I'm going shopping.

These gliders make for excellent camera platforms they are so steady and slow. Also great for me since I've only been flying about 3 weeks.

FinalFlightPhoenix2 (0 min 27 sec)
wilanz is offline Find More Posts by wilanz
Old May 09, 2013, 12:06 AM
Bakersfield, California
Joined Jan 2007
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r39o View Post

$139 on sale complete.

Waiting waiting.....

Besides

- velcro for the wings
- and glue the tail on,

TIA,
Walt in San Diego
Enjoy it, and bring some water, you'll be up for a while
maxwellmark is offline Find More Posts by maxwellmark
Old May 28, 2013, 10:30 AM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,026 Posts
* Owners Report *

Going on two years now flying this wonderful model! I can't believe it! It does not seem that long.
Sadly about a month ago I completely screwed up while flying on the slope and lawn darted my Phoenix II into the face of a slope. The crash destroyed the nose of the aircraft.

The bright side. I picked up a new fuselage to rebuild my Phoenix II. I enjoy this glider that much. I have noticed several improvements to the glider. For one the fuse is a few ounces lighter than the first gen. The second change I noticed was the thrust line of the motor. That has changed so that the glider does not climb as aggressive on power like the first gen did.

I am now at 312 flights on this bird 2 years later. I hope to get another 2 year out of this great flying glider.

Anyone else out there still flying the Phoenix II ?
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson