SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2011, 04:29 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,582 Posts
Discussion
DH-100 Vampire

This thread will be another combo, two builds alongside each other. ATIS and I will be building the DH-100 Vampire but in two different ways. At least I think they will be different. I'll let ATIS describe his when he starts it.
I had an old set of plans for the Vamp but they were of an old edf build, using brushed motor and heavy nicad cells. Scale was all over the place on the fuse especially. So after studying them a long time and trying to figure out how I could change them, I decided that it would be less work just to start from scratch. And I'm all for less work.
I set up my overhead projector( someone had asked about it in my Cutlass/F-80 thread) and took some pics. Pretty simple and very effective. I use posterboard from Staples, tape on the garage door and simply trace the outlines.
Once I have these cutout I can start the foam work.
I decided that in order to transport this plane anywhere, it's 1/8th scale and a ws of 57", I would need to break it down a little. So the wing panels outside the booms will be removable. The wing panels will be 20" long each. I didn't want to get into taking the booms off, now that would be a chore.
Once I got the top, side, and front views traced out I went to cutting a foam blank for the fuse. And since it is 65 degrees outside with strong winds it was a perfect time to go set out there and carve and sand foam. I think most of the dust is probably in Michigan by now.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2011, 04:40 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,582 Posts
I thought long and hard on how it would be best for me to do this and I finally decided to make a plug of the center section( from boom to boom) and glass the whole thing together. So now I'm working on the plug. I cut the wing fillets that extend out to each boom, shaped them and then glued them on the fuse. I jigged everything up to insure that they would be equal and straight.
Once I get the plug glassed I will either cut it off the plug or use the lost foam method to melt the plug out of the inside. Haven't really settled on which method but I'm leaning towards melting it out. I don't build duplicates of a plane very often so loosing the plug is no big deal.
The intakes are finished yet, I will block them back off somewhat and then do the final intakes in balsa. No way I'm going to fight glassing those lips.
But this is where I'm at now, need to finish the plug and get it ready for glass.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2011, 05:22 PM
One eyed Corsair
PARIS
Joined Jul 2005
2,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
And since it is 65 degrees outside with strong winds it was a perfect time to go set out there and carve and sand foam. I think most of the dust is probably in Michigan by now.

J
Did you bring a wind chain from Wyoming, John ?
GGRN is offline Find More Posts by GGRN
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:24 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
Yep, I will be building mine the hard way...rolling depron while drinking beer...

Looking good J.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Feb 14, 2011, 08:00 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,763 Posts
very awesome J! i always wanted to build one of these. can't wait to see how it comes along.
-beanie
beanie is online now Find More Posts by beanie
Old Feb 14, 2011, 08:52 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Looking great as always John! This is really going to be another super project!! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Feb 14, 2011, 09:31 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,582 Posts
Luckily Philippe, only time it blows as hard here as Wyoming, we're having thunderstorms.
And that time of year is approaching fast. Our weather has been beautiful lately and is forecast all week.

Thanks beanie & Walt!

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2011, 02:53 AM
Crash proof pilot
Svizzera, TI, Bellinzona
Joined Oct 2005
380 Posts
Hey John !!

Very wonderful subject ! (as every of your projects)

I have full access to a true scale (1:1) Vampire if you need details :-)

David
FlyDave is offline Find More Posts by FlyDave
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:43 AM
The Netherlands, NB, Hapert
Joined Apr 2002
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
This thread will be another combo, two builds alongside each other. ATIS and I will be building the DH-100 Vampire but in two different ways. At least I think they will be different. I'll let ATIS describe his when he starts it.
I had an old set of plans for the Vamp but they were of an old edf build, using brushed motor and heavy nicad cells. Scale was all over the place on the fuse especially. So after studying them a long time and trying to figure out how I could change them, I decided that it would be less work just to start from scratch. And I'm all for less work.
I set up my overhead projector( someone had asked about it in my Cutlass/F-80 thread) and took some pics. Pretty simple and very effective. I use posterboard from Staples, tape on the garage door and simply trace the outlines.
Once I have these cutout I can start the foam work.
I decided that in order to transport this plane anywhere, it's 1/8th scale and a ws of 57", I would need to break it down a little. So the wing panels outside the booms will be removable. The wing panels will be 20" long each. I didn't want to get into taking the booms off, now that would be a chore.
Once I got the top, side, and front views traced out I went to cutting a foam blank for the fuse. And since it is 65 degrees outside with strong winds it was a perfect time to go set out there and carve and sand foam. I think most of the dust is probably in Michigan by now.

J
THANK YOU JOHN...

Ray
Warbird@home is offline Find More Posts by Warbird@home
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:45 AM
Pushing the Limits of FFF
United States, CA, Sierra Madre
Joined Jun 2005
1,176 Posts
You are building machine. Looking good so far. Hope to see them at SEFF this spring.
wirbech is online now Find More Posts by wirbech
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:48 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATIS View Post
Yep, I will be building mine the hard way...rolling depron while drinking beer...

Looking good J.
Hey Bryan,
I can drink beer while I'm building too, just slows me down and then I have to fix all the mistakes the next day.

You're welcome Ray

Thanks wirbech
You'll see them at SEFF.

David,
Very kind offer. I ordered a 1/48th plastic model from China two weeks ago, free shipping. So it will probably be here about Xmas.
Since you offered it would be great to have closeups of the tail, the junction of the horizontal and vertical , the booms themselves, the intakes, and the junction of the booms and wing. Those areas are difficult for me to see in pics and envision on how I want to do them. I won't need canopy pics of your model since I'm going with the rounded canopy because I like that look better. Unless there is a way you can get inside pics of the cockpit, now that would be awesome and would really help a lot with building the cockpit. So if it isn't too much trouble I would greatly appreciate them. In fact if anyone has good pics or a good walkaround site, please post them up.
I'm still scratching my head on the booms. I think I will attach them as I did the verticals on the big Cutlass, that method worked good. But the actual construction is still up in the air. I would like to hide the elev servo inside one of them and am working on how I want to do that.
Meanwhile I finished my shaping and sanding on the fuse/fillet assembly and cut the canopy off. It will be used for a plug to vac form. Then started spackling the plug.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:31 AM
Crash proof pilot
Svizzera, TI, Bellinzona
Joined Oct 2005
380 Posts
Ok, give me some day's and i organize to take the pictures.

Unfortunately is an old model, the cockpit was removed time ago because they want to use this aircraft as "display" only.

Don't build too fast in the meanwhile :-)
FlyDave is offline Find More Posts by FlyDave
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:43 AM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,307 Posts
Looks super so far.

Are you going to do edf on this one, or skip it and go right to turbine??

Take care -- Stacker
stacker is online now Find More Posts by stacker
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:26 PM
leicestershire uk
Joined Sep 2006
373 Posts
Great to see the Vampire being given the J Morgan treatment. Its been on my shortlist for some time but other things keep getting in the way.
Glenn
glenn7e is offline Find More Posts by glenn7e
Old Feb 15, 2011, 02:41 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,385 Posts
cool, Cob, real cool!

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin