HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:30 PM
Sac, CA
Joined Feb 2011
20 Posts
Discussion
F4U Corsair Lawn Dart

Long time reader and first post.

Well I have had my new ParkZone Corsair for about two weeks now, what a great plane. For the last year I have been flying the SuperCub that I have maxed out its flying capabilities. I have been ready for a new plane for awhile.

So I went out Saturday morning and trimmed out the changes I made to the throw rates. Much tighter turns, rolls, etc…

I went back out in the afternoon and had the best, and worst, flying experience. This plane was performing every acrobatic move I would throw at it with ease. I even did my first inverted flight for 100 yards at 30 feet from the ground. I had to keep repeating to myself “push up on the stick…push up on the stick”

The issue I had was when I was coming around on a basic turn and the plane literally went into a straight down death dive from 150 feet like a missile into the ground. I had no control of the plane and the elevator control was completely unresponsive. Thank goodness no one was around to get hurt.

Name: image1c.jpg
Views: 150
Size: 136.3 KB
Description:

Name: image2c.jpg
Views: 132
Size: 141.2 KB
Description:

As you can see from the pictures the plane augured into the ground about 3 inches like a perfect lawn dart throw, it took some good pulls to remove it from the wet ground. The prop actually became a V. The wing cracked with a Z shape where it attaches to the body, warped the motor mount, broken elevator flap, broken canopy, and disintegrated cowling. My neighbor and I spent about a half hour gluing it all back together. The battery had a small dent from where the back of the screw mount protrudes into the battery compartment, but is still functional. Glad I made my first mod and shortened that screw. Now I just need to run to the LHS for minimal parts.

I’m thinking it was a battery issue?? Bad cell? I’m running a stock 1800mAh battery. You would think that if the battery was low I would still have power to the flaps. I only flew for about 5 minutes. I try to be aware of flight times. What else it could be I’m not sure.

The day before after about 2 minutes of flight I did have a similar incident where for about 1-2 seconds the elevator would not respond. That time I was able to pull out of the dive.

Do you think this could be a bad battery issue? Interference? I’m running the Spektrum DX5e 2.4Ghz Radio.

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated, as not knowing the exact cause is frustrating as I want to prevent this from happening again.

Thanks in advance.
rivertrek is offline Find More Posts by rivertrek
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:42 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,307 Posts
Well with most crashes, people tend to not look at the wreckage first but right away pick it up and disconnect everything.

Was the RX led flashing, this would indicate lost of power?. What is the voltage of the pack if still readable?

You are using DX5e would it be with a AR500 or other RX? Many variables.

Normally a low main battery would cause the motor to sputter but you would still have control over the RC.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:43 PM
Loose Nut behind the ..Sticks?
Vancouver, Washinton
Joined Jun 2010
189 Posts
i would bench test it to see if the servo might be bad. you could have experinced a "brownout" where the rx does not get the voltage it needs and shuts off needing a few seconds to reboot and connect. but i have not heard of this happening very often. check all of your connetors maybe ones is loose.
Xargon321 is offline Find More Posts by Xargon321
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:44 PM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,790 Posts
Sounds like a radio problem and the receiver is the likely candidate. I would call Horizon Hobby and explain to them the two instances that you describe. Their support staff is the best in the business and if they conclude that you are having a problem with the receiver, they will likely send you a replacement at no cost.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:50 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
I've had many brown out situations. Getting tired of losing airplanes with plenty of battery left. Only to get to the crash site and all flight controls are working (reciever blinking away). TW
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:54 PM
Sac, CA
Joined Feb 2011
20 Posts
of course I unplugged the battery before checking the status ...and it is the AR500 RX. I found out Saturday night that you can check the status lights. Too bad this information was AFTER the crash. New to the whole 2.4ghz

During my preflight I check the wires and they were good and tight. I will call Horizion Hobby and talk with them as well. Thanks.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:56 PM
Sac, CA
Joined Feb 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
I've had many brown out situations. Getting tired of losing airplanes with plenty of battery left. Only to get to the crash site and all flight controls are working (reciever blinking away). TW
Not good. That is my fear, the unexplained and not ever knowing when it could happen again...
Old Feb 14, 2011, 01:26 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Man that sucks seeing that Corsair augered in like that. Do let us know what HH has to say. They are great folks to deal with.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Feb 14, 2011, 02:14 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,315 Posts
Here is something to check for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je764...yer_detailpage

Also make sure your TX antenna isnt pointed straight at your plane when flying , Ive seen this cause loss of signal . Heres a brief thread on it
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Feb 14, 2011, 02:47 PM
Sac, CA
Joined Feb 2011
20 Posts
you know that I'll be tapping on my Tx tonight.

I also just got off the phone with HH support and they asked me to send in my Tx and Rx for testing, and to include crash photos for compensation. What they mean by "compensation" I don't know.

Interesting as they probably know they have issues with these.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:09 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
The problem is that it is hard to dupicate the problem on the bench. It would be nice if the reciever could blink for loss of power and loss of signal from tx. I would help narrow the search in the brown out triangle. TW
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:33 PM
2948 scale Combat
Maryland
Joined Aug 2004
600 Posts
They do have a batch of bad AR 500 Rx and they have been replaceing peoples loses.
If I were you I would send it in and fly the cub for awhile. A little paint
and alerons you have A new flyer.
critter1340 is offline Find More Posts by critter1340
Old Feb 14, 2011, 05:26 PM
Joined Sep 2009
89 Posts
I have to go along with triplew on the brown-out isuse. I had the same problem on my f4u with a 6100 series rx. Luckly i was landing at the time and it just scooted in. No control on anything. I walked up to the plane and ev
erything was fine.Go figure
Zeph
Zephyr7 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr7
Old Feb 14, 2011, 05:49 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,156 Posts
Gulp......

Makes me nervous reading your experiences. I just purchased a new AR500 today to alleviate the "out of range" issues with the AR6110E I was planning to use with my PNP Corsair. Trying to do everything to eliminate possible problem areas I've read others have had.

swimmer
swimmer is offline Find More Posts by swimmer
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:25 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Makes me nervous reading your experiences. I just purchased a new AR500 today to alleviate the "out of range" issues with the AR6110E I was planning to use with my PNP Corsair. Trying to do everything to eliminate possible problem areas I've read others have had.
It's really hit or miss with the AR500. I had a problem with one in my T-28 and HH ended up swapping it for an AR6200 which has worked flawlessly ever since. I have the AR500 in my P-51 Mustang and F4F Wildcat and have had zero problems with them.

Before you fly with it do a range check at the specified 30 paces then back up another 30 and do it again. For your first few flights keep her nice and high and make it a habit of looking at the RX after every flight before disconnecting the battery. If it's flashing then you had an issue during that flight.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones