Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,067 Posts
Discussion
NEW DIY Multirotor Resource - X468.com

New website for DIY'rs

Introducing the X-468 Flexible DIY Multirotor Platform www.x468.com

FLEXIBLE:
Very flexible! From the hobbiest to the professional, the X-468 FMP will satisfy your needs. Each component has been designed to be interchangeable. With multiple landing gear options and 2 camera mounting options (and growing), all built around a set of universal chassis plates, it's all you need!

MULTIROTOR:
3, 4, 6, or 8 motors? The X-468 FMP has got you covered. Need to upgrade from 4 motors to 6 or 8, for a 'heavy-lifting' application? It's simply a matter of adding more motors and booms. No longer are you forced to buy another expensive chassis kit. Simply reconfigure the chassis you already own!

PLATFORM:
It's not a kit. While we have bundled components together in our store, for your convenience, it's merely a suggestion. The X-468 FMP is designed entirely around a set of universal "468 Chassis Plates". This is "the platform" you build your airframe around, for your specific needs.

WE'RE NOT DONE:
With 3 different landing gear options, 2 camera mounting options, a battery plate option, and a variety of ways to configure the Main Chassis Plates, it doesn't stop there. We're currently designing and testing additional components. We are currently in the process of designing a larger DSLR style camera mount and a set of brackets for mounting round motor booms on your airframe.
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:12 PM
Registerer Used
Paris
Joined May 2010
715 Posts
Very nice!
Already available?
Keep up the good work
milouze is offline Find More Posts by milouze
Old Feb 14, 2011, 02:30 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,067 Posts
Yes these are currently available - we can do about 10 units per week - - very easy to build - and made from all g10 glass - Thanks

Mike
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:18 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,986 Posts
What is your motor mount solution? I did not see anything posted in the web site.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:29 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,067 Posts
Hey Tahoe Ed - the solution for motor mounts is direct mount to the booms - We are working on a round boom mount option that will have motor mounts - Thanks

Mike
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:30 PM
Suffolk County NY , USA
Joined Mar 2009
521 Posts
Not bad ..

Question about the naming .. X 468 .. Seems as if thats about how you can do 4 6 or 8 arms ..

was tri just an afterthought ?? why not x-3468 ???

Also , it would be nice to see some actual pictures. The renders are nice and all that .. BUT .. they are renders.

Also they are shinny black in the renders .. will you be painting the g10 ?? or will it be coming raw ??

Also , you dont mention the material on the site ( at least I could not find mention of it) .. And 100 bucks is kinda expensive for a set of g-10 center plates , even tho yours are VERY VERY cool.

If you are painting them and can promise a flawless ( sanded/polished 2 stage automotive quality paint ) finish like in the renders , that may be worth it right there.

Some may consider it a bit on the high side however. Especially when the alot of the folks you will be dealing with know the prices of raw g10.

But still .. VERY VERY COOL idea ..

I will be watching closely , but it is unlikely that I will order :-(
Kevo500 is offline Find More Posts by Kevo500
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:31 PM
My Karma ran over my Dogma
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2010
951 Posts
Also, could you post up some pics of the gopro mount on the website? Do you recommend any certain arm/booms?

***EDIT***
I just saw the "GoPro" mount in the other pics. How does the GoPro mount to it? Also, when will you be releasing a tilt/roll camera mount for the kit?
fireslayer26 is offline Find More Posts by fireslayer26
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:12 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevo500 View Post
Not bad ..

Question about the naming .. X 468 .. Seems as if thats about how you can do 4 6 or 8 arms ..

was tri just an afterthought ?? why not x-3468 ???

Also , it would be nice to see some actual pictures. The renders are nice and all that .. BUT .. they are renders.

Also they are shinny black in the renders .. will you be painting the g10 ?? or will it be coming raw ??

Also , you dont mention the material on the site ( at least I could not find mention of it) .. And 100 bucks is kinda expensive for a set of g-10 center plates , even tho yours are VERY VERY cool.

If you are painting them and can promise a flawless ( sanded/polished 2 stage automotive quality paint ) finish like in the renders , that may be worth it right there.

Some may consider it a bit on the high side however. Especially when the alot of the folks you will be dealing with know the prices of raw g10.

But still .. VERY VERY COOL idea ..

I will be watching closely , but it is unlikely that I will order :-(
Hey Kevo - The x468 plates are made from black g10 raw - And yes they are really that shiney - Also we are selling the landing gear that comes with the plates - a battery tray and a gopro camera mount. I have used these plates on my Hexa build located here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=hexa - The nice thing is that it comes with 2 different heights of landing gear a 4" set and a 6" set - Kevo - Please feel free to ask any other questions - The package we are offering is not just for the 468 plates but and entire landing gear, gopro camera package.

Mike
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:14 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireslayer26 View Post
Also, could you post up some pics of the gopro mount on the website? Do you recommend any certain arm/booms?

***EDIT***
I just saw the "GoPro" mount in the other pics. How does the GoPro mount to it? Also, when will you be releasing a tilt/roll camera mount for the kit?
Hey Fireslayer - We are wrapping up the camera mount adapter that works with the open source mount designed in one of Matts other threads. I actually have it sitting on my quad right now - You can see how the plates work in this thread for the gopro mount and battery tray - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=hexa

Thanks guys keep the questions coming
Mike
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:28 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,108 Posts
To be honest I would not buy a mount/LG for $100 if I had to buy and cut 10 CF arrow shafts. By not offering a complete kit you are excluding alot of guys like myself. I would however consider that mount for $100 complete. One thing I do not agree with is all the new sellers popping up and using this forum to generate business and NOT paying for advertising. Do the right thing and pay to sponser this site like you should if you are gonna continue this thread. I am sure Vic 20 will visit here and so he should do the same.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:36 PM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,061 Posts
They have a ton of growing to do before they can afford to pay for advertising on this site. The amount of impressions this site gets and what they could probably afford their ad would display for about 30min before the impressions were all used up.

Heck Vic20 just does this on weekends on the side, only a full time business would be able to think about advertisements here.
Dolby is online now Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:37 PM
My Karma ran over my Dogma
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2010
951 Posts
I like the kit. I think it looks great, but I would have to agree with Tony. I think it should come as a complete kit. CF arrow shafts and drywall mollies.
fireslayer26 is offline Find More Posts by fireslayer26
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:09 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
They have a ton of growing to do before they can afford to pay for advertising on this site. The amount of impressions this site gets and what they could probably afford their ad would display for about 30min before the impressions were all used up.

Heck Vic20 just does this on weekends on the side, only a full time business would be able to think about advertisements here.
Sounds like you do not know how the advertising works. You dont pay per impression. You can sponsor for as little as $100 month. The markup on a frame is like 300%. So a $100 frame actually costs about $33 to produce. Also you dont have to be a fulltime business to be a sponsor. If a member uses this site for financial gains they should pay to be a sponsor. Heck Vic is even selling his frames through RC Dude so that makes him a business regardless if he cuts on the weekends, weekdays, weeknights etc...
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 15, 2011, 02:34 AM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,061 Posts
This is a fairly busy forum, nearly as busy as some of the ones I program for so figured ads/sponsors would go about the same. Sponsoring is *extremely* cheap here then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Sounds like you do not know how the advertising works. You dont pay per impression. You can sponsor for as little as $100 month. The markup on a frame is like 300%. So a $100 frame actually costs about $33 to produce. Also you dont have to be a fulltime business to be a sponsor. If a member uses this site for financial gains they should pay to be a sponsor. Heck Vic is even selling his frames through RC Dude so that makes him a business regardless if he cuts on the weekends, weekdays, weeknights etc...
Dolby is online now Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:11 AM
Joined Jul 2006
553 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys.

Actual pictures of the parts are going to be up soon. Just need to get them uploaded.

We tossed around the idea of the mollies and CF arrow shafts. Then we decided it would be easier to let folks choose their own hardware.

We did a lot of looking around before we priced this thing. We just wanted to bring a frame that wasn't $300+ that most multicopter guys could afford and grow with.

Yes, G10 doesn't cost much and we do use about $30.00 worth. Especially in comparison to CF. There are other expenses to consider. Such as CAD work, generating tool paths, testing, reavision and re-cutting, cutters, time, the CNC use, etc. This is my first serious project and I have to say, I have about $300-$400 out of my own pocket wrapped up in just this one. Nothing compared to the big boys, I know.

Regardless, I will have learned a bunch, made a lot of new friends, and have some sweet looking 'copters.

Thanks again folks,
Matt
mattgatten is offline Find More Posts by mattgatten