HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2011, 08:04 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,444 Posts
Discussion
Mtroniks Viper Marine ESC Question

I got one of these for my latest build (lobster boat bash) and was tub testing it yesterday. I made the mistake of turning the transmitter off, before the reciever, and man the boat went full throttle and tried to climb out of the tub. Lucky it was only minor damage, but this thing was standing on it's end, bow out of the tub, taking water over the transom. I had to drop down another gear (3:1) after seeing that....it could give the hydros a run for the money.

Question....is there a way to set this thing up to turn off, rather than full speed ahead when it loses signal...that is the feature I love in some of my other escs and I see it becoming a issue at some point with the current set up.
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:42 AM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
621 Posts
What kind of TX/Rx are you using? I thought that was more of the binding set up if you are using 2.4ghz. However, having said that, I just purchased the Viper marine 40 on the weekend, and the instruction sheet does have a setup proceedure for calibrating the ESC to the Tx.
Olscuzbut is offline Find More Posts by Olscuzbut
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:03 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,444 Posts
I'm using a DX6. I did set up the inputs per instructions...I think?

Oh...and before I get asked...it's the 25amp version....not the plug and play.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:14 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,555 Posts
Try their tech contact:
http://www.mtroniks.net/
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:30 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,444 Posts
Gee why didn't I think of that...because I figured someone on here had the quick answer....thanks...I fired off a email.
Crash
Old Feb 14, 2011, 01:17 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,590 Posts
hoghappy,

in all the systems i have the "failsafe" is not part of the ESC, but part of the TX/RX.

my Assan 2.4ghz sets failsafe as being wherever the tx sticks were at when the rx and tx were powered on.

my futaba pcm setup allows me to set the failsafes to whatever i want.
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Feb 14, 2011, 01:31 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,444 Posts
BINGO....you sir and Olscuzbut are a genius's......I need to rebind with my new throttle neutral position...I get it now...thanks
Old Feb 14, 2011, 05:39 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghappy View Post
BINGO....you sir and Olscuzbut are a genius's......

i have been called worse
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Feb 14, 2011, 07:22 PM
NW NW Washington
Joined Aug 2007
713 Posts
The Viper ESC's can be programmed to fail safe (throttle off). Read the instructions and it works. I set one up in my Springer and tested in, first on land then in the water. TX and RX on, boat motor running, TX off, motor stops. TX back on, normal ops again. I just put one in my new Loyal build.
CGAux26 is online now Find More Posts by CGAux26
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:20 PM
United States, CT, Manchester
Joined Jan 2007
369 Posts
HH what are you running for a reciever for your dx6... I have a dx6i and I was figuring on using a 6 channel reciever from spektrum..
Joe
hotrodder is offline Find More Posts by hotrodder
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:57 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodder View Post
HH what are you running for a reciever for your dx6... I have a dx6i and I was figuring on using a 6 channel reciever from spektrum..
Joe
The standard AR6000 that comes with it. They are discontinued but you can still find them on fleaby.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:32 AM
Joined Feb 2006
9 Posts
I have a DX5e set, and find that in the absence of a transmitter signal the receiver outputs a 0.9mSec pulsewidth on the throttle channel, whilst all the other channels stop pulsing (which means the servos those 'dead' channels are driving stay in their last position - less any backdriving by the control surfaces they operate of course). I have followed all the binding instructions carefully but the throttle sets to 0.9mSec in the "failsafe" situation no matter what I do (full extent of stick travel gives about 1.05mSec). I have been able to test one other example of the DX5e with the same results.

This "failsafe" equates to full reverse in marine applications, which is not very nice on a fast boat as the stern can dig in and the boat be swamped. Luckily I make my own ESCs so have been able to program my way around this and institute a shut down in this situation.

As the DX5e is targetted for the aircraft market, 0.9msec does of course represent a failsafe situation - ie. a closed (unidirectional) throttle.

Another problem I've had with the DX5e is losing transmitter power when physically handling the transmitter - with the consequent loss of control for a few seconds after power is restored for the system to boot up. I found that the pip contacts of my (rechargeable) batteries were very low profile and that the cases of the batteries were resting on the shoulders in the DX5e battery compartments so the pips were scarcely brushing their mating contacts. A blob of solder on the pips has sorted the problem.
Mr Floppy is offline Find More Posts by Mr Floppy
Old Feb 16, 2011, 09:09 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floppy View Post
This "failsafe" equates to full reverse in marine applications, which is not very nice on a fast boat as the stern can dig in and the boat be swamped.
It's not nice in full forward either since the rudder is non responsive too. I'm going to try to rebind my DX6 tonight. I don't remember if the receiver I'm using in this boat was already in a previous boat or not. It may be failsafe set to go full throttle...If it previously was in a sailboat, it was likely set that way to open the sails. I need to have my failsafe in the neutral position for the boat it's in now. I use this same radio in several go fast boats, but they are forward only using the electrifly C-55 mini esc made for aircraft. When I lose signal...they stop dead in the water. I'll let ya know my results.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:27 AM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
621 Posts
Mr Floppy, I also have the DX5e and had the same problem with full reverse in the fail safe mode. The set instructions on binding the TX/RX that comes with the package are a bit vague. I went to the web site for Spektrum and they have a little more informative binding instruction for the 5e. Holding the binding switch for about 2 seconds and release will learn the rx. Any longer and it will revert to the default of full reverse on fail safe. Remember to have your controls in the neutral pos. when binding. Throttle half way. I works great in my boats if bound properly.
Norm
Olscuzbut is offline Find More Posts by Olscuzbut
Old Feb 16, 2011, 01:41 PM
Joined Feb 2006
9 Posts
@ olscuzbut - thanks very much indeed for that really helpful info !! I recall that if you mindlessly follow the instruction booklet it tells you to put the throttle stick fully down during the binding procedure so the full reverse 'failsafe' is only to be expected.
Mr Floppy is offline Find More Posts by Mr Floppy