Old Feb 14, 2011, 01:40 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
oh snap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Actually I just arranged for some samples of a 4800KV and 5000KV motor in the larger can size
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:05 AM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
Quote:
Do you have video for the doppler by chance? Any idea what watts you are pulling on the stock setup?
No video, it was done with that RC speedo doppler app for Andoid phones. I haven't even hooked up a watt meter to it to see what the watts were yet That app is pretty cool, just turn it on and set it next to you as you do your passes and it speaks out the speed and keeps a record of all your runs for you as well. I even dopplered my Kyosho Mirage running the 50mm fan unit out of the Jpower mini edfs and got a 90mph average, on 4S of course
Matt Howard is offline Find More Posts by Matt Howard
Old Feb 14, 2011, 07:44 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
I guess stock means the recommended ESC? That's fast!

I started a stock build last night, meaning using the included inrunner. Only question is if I will use epoxy to hold the fan in place. That's not maintenance friendly.

My first plane pulls about 440g on 4S and 600g on 5s. with a Turnigy 2900 inrunner. I need to recheck those numbers, I used a fish scale on the dolly FWIW. I guess at 80 maybe, based on other planes I have. I'll try 6s on that plane but need to swap out the BEC which is only good for 5s.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Feb 14, 2011, 07:54 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
No video, it was done with that RC speedo doppler app for Andoid phones.
I am going to do some tests to compare the android software to regular doppler methods and to my ProSpeed radar gun. I tried to get a straight answer from the guy who created the software on how the approaching and departing frequencies are chosen and how to prevent things like lipo voltage sag from boosting the doppler speeds and how much error does it allow before not giving a reading and got no straight answer to those questions. That is why I was hoping for video so I can compare what you got on the droid to what I get by regular doppler methods. .
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2011, 09:35 AM
New Brunswick
Joined Feb 2006
1,255 Posts
We used the Android Doppler, good and easy to use. As for the F20, the recommended CofG was to forward for me. I'm about 1/4" back, easier to hand launch.
choopi is offline Find More Posts by choopi
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:17 AM
CAP 232-aholic
Centreville, VA
Joined Jan 2003
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Actually I just arranged for some samples of a 4800KV and 5000KV motor in the larger can size
uh oh
DiabloKid is online now Find More Posts by DiabloKid
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:52 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choopi View Post
We used the Android Doppler, good and easy to use. As for the F20, the recommended CofG was to forward for me. I'm about 1/4" back, easier to hand launch.
My only concern is how the app handles non ideal doppler passes. I started noticing people asking me to doppler passes and the app was more often than not 5- 10 mph faster than manual dopplering, and sometimes it was dead on and it has to do with voltage of the lipo under load. For doppler to work correctly the rpm must be constant during the whole pass, if voltage on the lipo sags say ~.3 or .5 volts over a 6 second pass the rpm drops and that adds to the actual speed. Manual doppler will show this visually on the plots. I have no idea how thew app handle this and that is what I intend to test. The app seems to work very well on good doppler passes but I want to know how it handles non ideal passes. I see a trend of smaller lipos with high C ratings and these passes tend to show voltage sag when you look at them and that sag easily can be 5-10mph of extra speed. That is why I was trying to get info on how the sampling is done on the app and how it chooses the frequency.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2011, 01:25 PM
New Brunswick
Joined Feb 2006
1,255 Posts
Quote:
My only concern is how the app handles non ideal doppler passes. I started noticing people asking me to doppler passes and the app was more often than not 5- 10 mph faster than manual dopplering, and sometimes it was dead on and it has to do with voltage of the lipo under load. For doppler to work correctly the rpm must be constant during the whole pass, if voltage on the lipo sags say ~.3 or .5 volts over a 6 second pass the rpm drops and that adds to the actual speed. Manual doppler will show this visually on the plots. I have no idea how thew app handle this and that is what I intend to test. The app seems to work very well on good doppler passes but I want to know how it handles non ideal passes. I see a trend of smaller lipos with high C ratings and these passes tend to show voltage sag when you look at them and that sag easily can be 5-10mph of extra speed. That is why I was trying to get info on how the sampling is done on the app and how it chooses the frequency.

Don
See! What about temp correction? does it correct for it? I tried it last weekend with my Jpower F16, T45, it was constant loosing a little as the flight progress... pack going down. It look accurate but like you mentionned voltage saging could make a difference.
choopi is offline Find More Posts by choopi
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:07 PM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
I had one pass where I got off the throttle as the plane passed me and it read out 154 mph, LOL. You can manually input the temp or the app will automatically use GPS to find your location and use that to get the local temperature. At least according to the threads about it.
Matt Howard is offline Find More Posts by Matt Howard
Old Feb 14, 2011, 04:03 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
There's a thread for that Android app here on RCG and it has a demo video. I checked a pass or two with Waveoscope and it looked quite reasonablr. I think I used default temp. I was disappointed that it does not try to check RPM. That would be good to have.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 04:58 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,279 Posts
I am not saying it does not work, just that I think it can be tricked, such as throttle reduction, dropping lipo voltage etc. Not all passes are dopplerable and you can see that visually when you do manual dopplering. I think the limits of the program need to be explored and that is what I was trying to do in that thread was find out how it selects the frequencies and did not get a answer to my liking so I downloaded the PC application and am going to look at the Java code it uses to see how it is doing it exactly. I think some sort of criteria needs to be used by the app to determine if the pass is a "good" pass or not. That may be difficult to do in programming but I can see debate especially in online speed threads where some guy reduces throttle or similar and gets a high speed and says the app said so so it must be true!

My hope is that I can get rid of my Prospeed radar gun and get that money back into my pocket! I ordered me a droid tablet to play with the app, I just wish the cold, snow, and wind would go away!

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2011, 05:19 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Looking forward to that!

Have you measured thrust with the system you plan to install? I saw your method on your product site - looks good! I tried using Winscope to measure RPM on that one (90mm?) Still struggling with that, and the result is dependant on the number of blades.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 05:20 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
That red decal looks right at home on the Tshark Don, might have to order one of those motors to get one for myself. The Tigershark is my second edf, so I'm not sure I'm ready for 700 watts; do you have any other motors somewhere between what you're using and the stock motor which would work with the Hyperflow fan?
Sonny
The decals are available separately and in 4 different colors! As far as power, the stock power based on the review of the plane is about 500 watts and 85 mph speed. The Wicked 4000 motor will be close to that on 4S or the Wicked 4000 Plus motor for a little extra power. I would probably use the 4000+ if I were chosing between the two.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2011, 05:22 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Looking forward to that!

Have you measured thrust with the system you plan to install? I saw your method on your product site - looks good! I tried using Winscope to measure RPM on that one (90mm?) Still struggling with that, and the result is dependant on the number of blades.
I can when it is installed and done. Measuring outside a plane is kind of useless if you ask me as the ducting can have a huge effect.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:02 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,793 Posts
Quote:
The decals are available separately and in 4 different colors! As far as power, the stock power based on the review of the plane is about 500 watts and 85 mph speed. The Wicked 4000 motor will be close to that on 4S or the Wicked 4000 Plus motor for a little extra power. I would probably use the 4000+ if I were chosing between the two.
Thanks for the info Don, I'll check out the website. I may lightly glue the stock set up in so I can remove it later to install a 4000+ if I decide to go that way; keep us posted on yours.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1