HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by turboparker, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 01:07 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Discussion
UMX Beast prop tests

All,

It's 47 above here, but the wind is 20-30 MPH. Since it's a bit windy for flying, I decided to get some static RPM data on the 5030 & 5043 props with my Hyp 2s packs. The testing was done with Beast #2, so I re-tested the stock prop to establish a baseline.

910' AMSL, 70 F, 30 sec into the run on a freshly-charged pack. The GWSProps spreadsheet was used to calculate thrust:

GWS 5043:
Hyp 180 2s: 9600 RPM; Thrust=127g; Pitch-speed: 39.0 MPH**
Hyp 240 2s: 9700 RPM; Thrust=129g; Pitch-speed: 39.5 MPH**

GWS 5030:
Hyp 180 2s: 11300 RPM; Thrust=124g
Hyp 240 2s: 11300 RPM; Thrust=124g; Pitch-speed: 32.1 MPH**

Stock prop:
Hyp 180 2s: 11150 RPM; Thrust=111g*
Hyp 240 2s: 11150 RPM; Thrust=111g*; Pitch-speed: 29.0 MPH**

RemE's testing with the stock 120 mAh pack:

5043: 8574 RPM; 2.75A; Thrust=100g; 34.9 MPH**
5030: 10130 RPM; 2.25A; Thrust=99g; 28.8 MPH**
stock: 10224 RPM; 2.25A; Thrust=92g*; 26.6 MPH**

*May not be accurate, as the stock prop's t-constant may or may not be similar to the GWS prop.

**Calculated pitch-speed. Prop slippage and in-flight unloading not taken into account.

Notes:

I found it interesting that in my tests, the 5030 spun faster than the stock prop. Seems like an anomaly, but I did get the same result with two packs. I'm not sure what to think about that. Going by the data, the 5030 should provide longer flight-times, a bit more top-speed, and slightly better vertical than the stock prop. Also, the data suggests that the 5043 should not only provide the most thrust of the three props; it should also be significantly faster - provided one uses quality packs.

Also interesting is the RPM difference between the 180 & 240 pack with the 5043 prop. Looks like the 5043 draws just enough current to tax the 180 pack a bit. It is possible that with the 5043 prop & Hyp 180/240 packs, strict throttle-management may be required. Need to measure the current @ WOT to determine if this is indeed the case.

After seeing the static numbers, I am very much looking forward to flight-testing the 5043 with my Hyp 2s packs!

I encourage others to post their findings here, as well. Static RPM, thrust, current draw, flight-reports, etc. are welcome!

A few sources for GWS props:

Microflight: http://www.microflight.com/Online-Ca...s/Prop-EP-5043

All e RC: http://www.allerc.com/props-gws-props-c-36_38.html

GWS Props: http://www.gwsprops.com/direct_drive.htm

BSD Micro: http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=830

RemE's Beast Modification thread (start at page one):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349163

Plug & play Hyperion 180 mAh 2s packs from RCBabbel:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=643

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 20, 2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Removed broken Horizon link
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:03 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
First flight with the 5043!

All,

Finally had a chance to fly the Beast w/5043 prop & my Hyp 180 2s packs! Yeeehaawww!! Now, we're talkin'! That was just what this bird needed! It is relatively uncommon to get more thrust and speed with a simple prop change, but the 5043 delivers both! Significantly more speed than the stock or 5030 props, with a noticeable increase in thrust, as well!

Vertical performance is nothing short of breathtaking! Firewall the throttle, and the Beast leaps from from the runway. Haul the stick back, and it rockets upward, visibly accelerating during the vertical ascent. Essentially unlimited rolling verticals are possible - limited only by the pilot's eyesight. Absolutely huge, perfectly round loops are also possible - again, limited in size only by the pilot's eyesight! Level out with the throttle still on the stops, and the Beast accelerates to what could be considered nearly 'pylon-racer speed' at this scale.

The added speed during extended verticals noticeably improves crispness & precision - especially when executing rolling verticals, large loops, or when performing maneuvers at the top of an extended upline, such as snaps or point-rolls. At WOT, level KE flight requires hardly more than a 'hint' of top-rudder, and part-throttle KE loops are easy.

I did not assess flight-time. I only flew for about 4 minutes, as a heavy mist was rolling in. Also - the power was interrupted during the recharge, which dumped the charge data. Guess it just wasn't my day to assess the 5043's impact on flight-time.

My first impression is that for precision/pattern flying, the 5043 is definitely the best prop I've tested so far. I didn't get a chance to really assess its performance for hovering & other torque maneuvers, though. That will have to wait until next time.

Of course, the performance noted above is available only to those who use Hyperion packs - or at minimum, a pair of Hyp 180 'M' cells with Glenn's harness (which is heavier & down on power a bit as compared to a homebrew Hyp 180 2s pack). At this time, there are no alternative cells in the desired weight-range that will hold up under the load of the 5043.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:40 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Joel, thanks for the information. What type of adapter should one use to adapt the GWS 5043 prop to the stock beast prop adapter?

Thanks
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:34 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Joel, thanks for the information. What type of adapter should one use to adapt the GWS 5043 prop to the stock beast prop adapter?

Thanks
Ryan,

You're welcome!

Good news - the GWS 5043/5030 props are a direct fit on the Beast (and Sbach)!

The only thing you may want to do is remove a bit of foam from the inside of the Beast's spinner, as the 5043's hub is a bit thicker than the stock prop's hub.

If the Beast's prop adapter is worn to the point that the threads near the opening are getting "iffy", you may need a longer prop screw to ensure that enough good threads are engaged. Alternatively, one can shore-up the threads by putting a drop of medium ca on the screw, threading it in, removing it, and then letting the ca dry before screwing it back in. I used this method on one of my four Beasts, and it worked well. On my other three Beasts, the stock prop screw tightened up without issue.

Let me know how it goes.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:49 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Thanks again Joel. I just ordered up some GWS 5043s from HK so we'll see how that goes

Much appreciated sir.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock