HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:05 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,302 Posts
So far as Ales recommendations goes, I am really liking the Fat Tire offerings.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2011, 08:03 AM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,799 Posts
The last few days I've been flying my Playboy old timer. With a 3S pack, I can get it to 200m in 30, it floats as good as the allegro, and I seem to also be able to land it better. It might become my ALES ship.
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:42 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monhty View Post
They do have removable noses.

Tired of screwing and unscrewing, I just sliced a canopy from the cone. Some fiber and epoxy laminated around the hole where the canopy can rest. A 2 mm carbon rod attached to the center of the canopy fixes it to the cone

It works a treat!

Monhty
Could you please post a few pictures? That would be appreciated

Thanks,
Don
donsinger1 is offline Find More Posts by donsinger1
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:28 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dion9146 View Post
The last few days I've been flying my Playboy old timer. With a 3S pack, I can get it to 200m in 30, it floats as good as the allegro, and I seem to also be able to land it better. It might become my ALES ship.
This format is exactly what those old timer planes were designed for. Single power to altitude phase, then transition to thermal hunter. I have been looking at a few old timer designs with the same thought, cool looking ALES plane. This is one I am considering, it would of course have an electric motor and a folding prop.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:08 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,799 Posts
Yes, the cobra is a cool plane.

The one big drawback to my playboy is the complete lack of penetrating capability. I got her way up high the other day, and although ground winds were around 6 to 8 mph, up high they were more like 12-15 mph. My 34 oz. Playboy was flying backwards faster than I could bring it down. I had to relight just to get it back to the field!
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:48 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Yep, that is the advantage to more modern sailplanes, they can fly in wind. But on a nice calm day the old timers are great fun.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:03 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dion9146 View Post
Yes, the cobra is a cool plane.

The one big drawback to my playboy is the complete lack of penetrating capability. I got her way up high the other day, and although ground winds were around 6 to 8 mph, up high they were more like 12-15 mph. My 34 oz. Playboy was flying backwards faster than I could bring it down. I had to relight just to get it back to the field!

'Round these parts we seem to be calling 6-8mph "calm". I seem to go flying any time the forecast winds are less than 10mph which means more like 12-15mph at GL with speeds closer to 20-25mph at the end of the high start. Winds are typically strong enough to make the wind sock stand straight out at the Kittyhawk grass strip near my house.

That said, that Cobra is one *seriously* kick-butt looking model! If winds here weren't as high we would probably see more Old Timers around than we do in the N. TX area. Those folks that I've talked to that do fly Old Timers seem to fly only a few times a year but I may be wrong here. I can say there have been times when I've landed my Sophisticated Lady like an AV-8B.

Even my Chrysalis isn't immune to local winds. On the Crysalis' maiden the hi-start didn't come off the tow hook for some reason. I flew a couple circles then the wind increased slightly which basically let me fly it in place from 50ft to landing. Of course the tow ring was laying next to the airplane when I retrieved it so I still don't know exactly what happened but it flew off the hi-start and later the winch with no further incident. I did make a few more vertical landings though.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Mar 01, 2011, 04:14 PM
Espaņa, PM, Palma
Joined Jan 2009
114 Posts
Quote:
Pulsar do have removable noses.

Tired of screwing and unscrewing, I just sliced a canopy from the cone. Some fiber and epoxy laminated around the hole where the canopy can rest. A 2 mm carbon rod attached to the center of the canopy fixes it to the cone

It works a treat!

Monhty
Here are some photos of the canopy-Pulsar
Monhty is offline Find More Posts by Monhty
Last edited by Monhty; Mar 02, 2011 at 01:56 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 01:06 AM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
534 Posts
Nice
donsinger1 is offline Find More Posts by donsinger1
Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:43 PM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
743 Posts
Best ALES Sailplane?

This 'best' question often gets asked when it comes to sailplanes, often by guys who have yet to keep any sailplane up for more than 5 minutes.

In the competition arena we refer to that model as 'excalibur' but recently its been renamed "the red sailplane". The model that extends your flights 'for' the pilot because of its nifty airfoil or lack of airframe weight. Guys will spend that $2k+ and wait for months to get one of those....never stopping to think that feathers weigh almost nothing yet fall directly to the ground when released.

If the guy asking were a top thermal competition pilot the discussion would be based on handling characteristics, launching, and landing handling. The same kind of conversation would be held by top piano, violin or guitar players....and the parameters would have no meaning to the average players.

I think the big mistake that is made by guys lookiing for advice on which new ship to spend their money on is that they don't ask theirselves what it is they want from their model...or what they expect the model to do for them...and if they did buy the red excalibur, are they heading into the season with hopes of winning trophies.

ALES is not fun flying, its competition soaring. Flying for scores. If you are in that top group of pilots who can keep a barn up for 8 hours, then things like light weight are the least of their interests...yes they want 'ability' but they also want durability..you can win if its broke all the time.

You don't need a full house ship to win ALES, in fact likely you put yourself at a disadvantage, because when you move up into a full house ship, you have that many more ways to make mistakes. A full house ship transfers ALL the flying from the model to the pilot.

Don't buy a model because you think it will help you win a contest, by it because it turns you on...makes you smile every time you assemble it.

Don't buy it because its a hundred or two less, because it will always be 'less' in your mind. Wait a few pay checks then get the model you want.

And if you really want to have fun, do what Dion suggested, build your own model.

What will I be flying in ALES....not sure yet. Going to wait to see if ALES actually becomes a class. Likely I won't fly in events that allow restartable ALES switches, just too much opportunity for questions.

We'll see :-)
Gordy
Gordysoar is online now Find More Posts by Gordysoar
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Check out my YouTube Channel
Old May 02, 2011, 05:35 PM
Apalachin, NY
Joined Nov 2004
121 Posts
Since I started this thread I thought I'd share the final result. My Helium from Stevens AeroModel is finally flight ready. Specs : 25 oz flying weight with 3s 2100 lipo, Hacker A30-28s, 9x6 folder, CC Phoenix 35, CAM altitude limiter, Futaba 617 rx, Hitec 65/56 servos, Ultracote Lite covering. I'm using a Futaba 8FG with the motor on a 3 position switch (off-1/2-full throttle) and the spoiler on the left stick.

The only mod made was to cover the balsa bottom from the firewall to hatch with 1/64 ply for landing protection since the kit landing gear was not used.

From a power system standpoint a smaller/lighter lipo would work but due to the hatch location said lipo couldn't balance the plane. With the 2100 lipo I'll be able to take 1 battery to the field and get multiple flights.

Matt
M.Struck is offline Find More Posts by M.Struck
Last edited by M.Struck; Jul 04, 2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old May 02, 2011, 05:44 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,471 Posts
I just maidened my E-Ava Climbs like a homesick angel with a mega, 4/1 gearbox and a 16/10 prop. Oh and its RES.

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old May 03, 2011, 12:41 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
So you're sayin' you're likely to get to 200M before 30 seconds eh? Contest, here we come!
Old May 03, 2011, 12:48 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Struck View Post
Since I started this thread I thought I'd share the final result. My Helium from Stevens AeroModel is finally flight ready. Specs : 25 oz flying weight with 3s 2100 lipo, Hacker A30-28s, 9x6 folder, CC Phoenix 35, CAM altitude limiter, Futaba 617 rx, Hitec 65/56 servos, Ultracote Lite covering. I'm using a Futaba 8FG with the motor on a 3 position switch (off-1/2-full throttle) and the spoiler on the left stick.

The only mod made was to cover the balsa bottom from the firewall to hatch with 1/64 ply for landing protection since the kit landing gear was not used.

From a power system standpoint a smaller/lighter lipo would work but due to the hatch location said lipo couldn't balance the plane. With the 2100 lipo I'll be able to take 1 battery to the field and get multiple flights.

Matt
I dropped a Castle Ice 50 in my Chrysalis 2M-E to do some data logging and see what my consumption was to better estimate how much battery I need to take to local contests. My power system is a E-Flite Park450 with a AeroNauth 11x7 folder and EspritModel EM-Sport 1800mAh 3S pack. With a full charge I made eight 30 second climbs and according to the ESC had consumed less than 1Ah with a peak current of 18.8A when the battery was fully charged. I'd say with a 2100mAh battery you can very safely fly all day. In a contest scenario I'll probably take two batteries. One to fly with and one as a "just in case" to guaranty I can fly.