HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2011, 09:13 PM
North Royalton, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
397 Posts
Discussion
Great Planes Waco YMF-5D Biplane ARF .91-1.20

Saw this one a little while ago. Anyone thinking about converting this beast? I think this one is just begging for an electronic sound system.

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1295.html

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAAVT&P=ML

jonnyspeed is offline Find More Posts by jonnyspeed
Last edited by jonnyspeed; Apr 14, 2011 at 09:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2011, 03:33 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Beautiful plane. Go for it man, I'd love to see it fly!

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Mar 17, 2011, 04:10 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,471 Posts
Yes I would like to know this to - I will order one if someone can tell me if it has a hatch so Lipo swaps are easy... After my 25% Pitts conversion, Im a little concerned that I would have the same dramas in swapping out Lipos . I have a NIB Power 160 that if not to heavy would be used and a radial sound system. Any one ?? Thanks
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:59 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Which Pitts did you do BingWing?

As for the Waco, my LHS has one in stock, but I didnt pull it out to check for a battery hatch.

Laine.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:08 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,471 Posts
CMpro Christran Eagle actually... same same but differant !
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:49 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingWing View Post
CMpro Christran Eagle actually... same same but differant !
Another one I'd like to have in my trailer.

Laine.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:31 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,471 Posts
Yeah you would....but wouldn`t... Lipo Swaps were a PITA ! Just not worth a very easy plane to live with. Fly well though.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:13 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
the way i see it the forward canopy is a perect place to hide a battery hatch--it alread comes with the plug to make the hatch out of.
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Apr 08, 2011, 05:51 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Ive been eyeing this waco myself. Normally a warbird person, but this plane looks nice.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:43 PM
USA, SC, Greenville
Joined Sep 2005
914 Posts
There was one at the perry swap meet nib and there is only one thing wrong with it. Its cub yellow, not the bright yellow like on the box.
My buddy is a waco nut, so we asked if we could open the box. (it was still factory taped.) When we opened it, we said ohh , looked at it for about 5 seconds and closed it back up.

just a heads up.

Travis
edf nut is online now Find More Posts by edf nut
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:22 PM
United States, FL, Orange Park
Joined Oct 2006
305 Posts
MY Waco

I bought one at seff after seeing it perform with a Rimfire 1.20 it flys great on 2 3cell 5000 packs in series. The color is perfect in my opinion, tho it is the GP version 72" wings. You do need to install a hatch right behind the cowl. Demo flite was about 6 min.BL
BIG LACY is offline Find More Posts by BIG LACY
Old Apr 19, 2011, 04:11 PM
North Royalton, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
397 Posts
Hey Big Lacy... Any video or pics of the converted WACO at SEFF? Any more info on how the hatch was added? I REALLY like this model. I could care less if it is a shade or two off in color. The Rimfore 1.20 would be perfect for me... I can use my 6s5000s from my Habu32
Old Apr 22, 2011, 05:11 PM
Joined Oct 2006
305 Posts
Waco at seff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyspeed View Post
Hey Big Lacy... Any video or pics of the converted WACO at SEFF? Any more info on how the hatch was added? I REALLY like this model. I could care less if it is a shade or two off in color. The Rimfore 1.20 would be perfect for me... I can use my 6s5000s from my Habu32
Sorry , I took a lot of photos of it and stood with factory pilot while he wrung her out,but u can not see any details except for the batt hatch, I had planned to video on SAt but they never took the Waco out of the trailer as it was really blowing,course Mac flew his unbelievable B-29 anyway. So I have ordered the RF 1.20 and 2 3s5000mah bats to run in series. Motor on backorder and awaiting the batts I'll find something to do on her(lite system) until all parts are here. It's a real sweet flying bird. BL Third pic is bat box
Old Apr 22, 2011, 07:31 PM
North Royalton, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
397 Posts
Awesome Big Lacy! They totally missed the boat by not offering an E version of this beautiful plane IMHO...
Old Apr 25, 2011, 05:35 PM
Joined Oct 2006
305 Posts
Bad Fuselage !!

Had a major set back on my Waco.The fuselage was the last piece out of the big box and while going over it with my iron found that the cockpit coming (area surrounding cockpit) had been broken then glued back but not flush, then covered over. The left side monokote overlap looked as tho cut with a chain saw( slightly exaggerated) So called Great planes,they said ship just fuse back to them, my cost $53. Not a happy modeler rite now. Will post when hear from themBL