HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2011, 06:17 PM
Joined Jan 2010
494 Posts
Discussion
RC Bomb drop with onboard bomb cam.

Heres a unique video I just made. I'd imagine this is been done before, but I searched youtube, and here, and didn't find anything, so I figured I would share.

RC Bomb Drop onboard cam. Dropping camera from over 800 feet from airplane. Destroying Camera. (0 min 29 sec)
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2011, 06:31 PM
Thou who know not
USA, MI, Mason
Joined Jul 2010
937 Posts
That's pretty slick, made me a bit dizzy though.
Po73 is offline Find More Posts by Po73
Old Feb 12, 2011, 06:38 PM
Suspended Account
AK
Joined Dec 2010
339 Posts
Cool how you can tell exactly where it's going to land when it starts spinning.
Katabatic is offline Find More Posts by Katabatic
Old Feb 12, 2011, 07:19 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,440 Posts
Super cool... now add some servos and gyros to the bomb's fins and you can counter the rotation.

Next up - IR sensors on the nose than can steer towards an IR LED on the ground... Yeah baby; a $1.95 laser guided hobby!

Jeff
workshop is offline Find More Posts by workshop
Old Feb 12, 2011, 08:05 PM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by workshop View Post
Super cool... now add some servos and gyros to the bomb's fins and you can counter the rotation.

Next up - IR sensors on the nose than can steer towards an IR LED on the ground... Yeah baby; a $1.95 laser guided hobby!

Jeff
IR sensor under sunlight... the bomb will go crazy!
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007
Old Feb 12, 2011, 08:11 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,440 Posts
Nope... You encode the IR diode... Just pulse it at a set freq and look for it with a PIC...

er.... that's toy bomb mister!
Old Feb 12, 2011, 08:21 PM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
Quote:

Jeff

Laser designated air strike for fpv
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io
Old Feb 12, 2011, 08:43 PM
EZ*FPV rookie
The Netherlands, GE, Wijchen
Joined Aug 2010
95 Posts
Is it the HK bomb?
Looked funny .
Bernie1973 is offline Find More Posts by Bernie1973
Old Feb 13, 2011, 01:27 PM
Joined Jan 2010
494 Posts
Katabatic: Even though it is spiraling, it still goes straight down (well pretty straight, the wind still blows it)

Workshop: I'm guessing you were joking about the gyros, but that's actually not such a bad idea. I do plan on doing this again in the future and doing it even better, and from higher, and want to eliminate the spirals.

The laser guided idea is a pretty cool one too, I might give that 20 years though and wait till pre-made laser guided systems come in stock on hobbyking.

Bernie1973: Wasn't the HK bomb, just a homemade one from a paper towel tube, with the tip of a nerf football for the nose, (actually squeezed and crammed it inside the tube to make it more dense and heavy), and cardboard fins which were actually put on as straight as possible, not sure why it spiraled so fast.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:34 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,440 Posts
Not joking... I've used gyros for fin stabilization and it works. The cool thing is you only need one to correct roll.

The "laser guided" is pretty simple. One can buy simple light following robot kits at any electronics store (my 12yr old daughter soldered up one and played with it for a week before the fun wore off). The idea is the same just refined with some PIC code and a fast processor (Adrino, etc.).

Brigham Young published their targeting efforts with video using software contrast studies. They were smacking a ground target from a half a mile away with a foamie just using video and 2D math. Wicked simple for today's college student... In fact, I bet the first "targeting OSD" to aid in air chase video is now in the minds of thousands of youth as you read this.

Jeff
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:40 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,815 Posts
*barf*
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:46 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,960 Posts
Quote:

Jeff

wow that's should be a very cool project. I imagine my F-16 with guide rocket. Miss time to try all the possibilties.
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:47 PM
Luxembourg
Joined May 2009
779 Posts
I kinda did the same but with a parachute

It was one of my first videos

Parachute Drop (1 min 55 sec)
iacei is offline Find More Posts by iacei
Old Feb 13, 2011, 03:22 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,440 Posts
Foamie tracking tent...

I can't find the video... It was of a college group targeting a camping tent that was painted black and white. The video software was able to lock on to the tent. I first saw it on RSG about three years ago but I can't find it now.

Cool video and shows what was possible a few years ago.

Jeff

*barf* - that's what I said when you put your foot on that gator mate!
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:27 PM
Joined Jan 2010
494 Posts
iacei: sweet video. I also plan to do that with a parachute one day. Where i'm at though, a nice baseball field is about the biggest open area you can find, A 1mph wind would probably take it away.

The homing missles could definitely be fun, especially if you put the targeting beacon on a hard hat, strap it on your buddy, and tell him to run.