HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2011, 10:46 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,843 Posts
Well this is to keep everyone up to speed on the release of the new Legend Model Boat Kit of the 1935 Gar Wood Speedster “MISS BEHAVE”. All of the orders already placed have been shipped as of the posting. There are still a few kits left on the first production run, so if you would like to get one before we run out, please call with your order. The next production run will be at least 6 to 8 weeks down the road.

The next run of the Century “SEA MAID 18”, will be the next boat kit production. For those of you who missed the first run on the Century, call now to place your order for the kit. This kit will be a limited run of 25 kits.

Information for the kits can be found on the Legend Model Boat site.

www.legendmodelboats.com

frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2011, 12:17 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,843 Posts
I am just posting an update on the different names that I have come across in some of my research on the original Gar Wood speedsters that were built for the Thousand Island Yacht Club racers of the 1930’s.

Some of the research was on here say from the old timers who live in the area and could not be verified. Back in the day there was no registration of the boats by numbers or names and they were not part of any APBA sanctioned class.

The names that I came up with are: MISS BEHAVE, MISS CHIEF, MISS INFORM, MISS CONCEPTION, MISS DEMEANOR, MISS FIRE, MISS CONDUCT, MISS ADVENTURE, MISS ME.

There were a total of eleven boats sold to members of the yacht club racers, so there is still one name that escapes me.

Hope this helps. If any one comes up with the other name or knows that one of the names is wrong, please do not hesitate in posting to this thread. I will be doing more research when up at the Antique Boat Museum when I go up for the boat show.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:37 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,856 Posts
frankg,

Thanks for posting the information, I still have not decided on a name yet for my Gar Wood, but I am leaning toward MISS CHIEF.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Jul 03, 2011, 02:36 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,843 Posts
HEY ED- How it going? Have you started back on your speedster build yet? From the last post on your build you did not have a lot of work to go to have her in the water for her first run. I think you will be happy with the way she goes with the power combo you have

Hope to she her soon!!.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 03:34 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,856 Posts
I started working on the speedster a few days ago and will be posting some pictures soon. I have been working on a new flagpole mount and a way to lock the back hatch.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:48 AM
Joined Feb 2011
3 Posts
Hi frank g
like your picture,will they help with the other ,kits you make.
Take care see you at the next meeting.
nurse mtb is offline Find More Posts by nurse mtb
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:40 PM
Woodfumbler......
Copenhagen. Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
1,215 Posts
How do i get this magnificent kit to Denmark, as far i can tell the orderform at MACK only goes for USA??
Sharky1dk is offline Find More Posts by Sharky1dk
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:00 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,729 Posts
Geeze Rich that boat is beautiful. You always seem to get such a super finish on your mahogany and it makes me drool all over my stuff. Legend strikes again. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:17 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,843 Posts
Sharky 1 DK- We ship our kits all over the world using the USPS. The cost to ship the kit is a flat $14.00 handling charge per order plus the actual shipping and insurance from the post office.

You can call in your order to the factory , Monday thru Friday from 9am to 4 pm EST, or you can fax us the order on our dedicated and secure fax line, 732-870-1594, any time.

NORGALE- Believe me when I say it is not magic. I spell out exactly what I do, and how to do it in the instructions. The one thing that screw up people and the final finish, is that they are impatient and don’t want to take the time for the build up of the finish along with rushing to sand and polish with out letting the polyurethane harden up for a week or so. If you screw up the finish at that point, you will have to strip almost back to the start for a REDO.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:18 PM
Switzerland, BE, Berne
Joined Jan 2011
42 Posts
This a modified Revell 1/6th scale motor kit

dear frankg
please give us a link where we can find such cool motors (the kits)
no chance to find it in Europe ... (How do you modify it?)
I just ordered a cracker box.
I´m Matthias from Bern - Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg View Post
Well with the build done on the Speedster, we are getting ready to do the WRAM show in New York this coming weekend, and to that end I thought I would post some pictures of the speedster with the Interceptor V-8 engine in her for the static competition she will be entered in at the show.

This a modified Revell 1/6th scale motor kit made to look like the motor in the MISS BEHAVE, as she is on display at the museum.
grafwiloff is offline Find More Posts by grafwiloff
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:45 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,843 Posts
MAT- You can get the small block Chevy off the internet at the following address.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...tModelId=19560
Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:19 PM
mahoganyfan
United States, NJ, Atlantic City
Joined Nov 2010
693 Posts
boat

Wow , that boat looks great.Great job on the finish.
californiakid is offline Find More Posts by californiakid
Old Nov 01, 2011, 05:35 AM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
839 Posts
Awesome work Frankg!
Mike-A is online now Find More Posts by Mike-A
Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Jan 2012
96 Posts
Ed,
I have learned a lot reading through all your post on this and the Canterbury
build. I am not a builder yet but I hope to be soon. I wanted to give something back to you and everyone else who takes the time to help the rest of us.
While learning to build a strip kayak, I found a must have item for anyone working with wood.
http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/B-2...4-oz-6p234.htm
Tom
Hot Tuna is offline Find More Posts by Hot Tuna
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:34 PM
man of many thumbs
United States, NY, Redwood
Joined Dec 2011
85 Posts
Really nice work FrankG!

I've lived in the Thousand Islands all my life and have been a fan of "Miss Behave" and her sister ships since I was a little kid. I can remember seeing it tied up at the Alex Bay town dock many times in the 60's, and blasting around out on the water too. It was a perfect example of what my Dad used to refer to as a "horse-around" boat. Usually, he didn't think much of boats like that, but even he had to admit a certain fondness for old M-B

I wish I could tell you the name of the 11th boat, but I don't know it.

Tom
moTthediesel is offline Find More Posts by moTthediesel