HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:13 AM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Discussion
18in Viperwing tailless flying wing with AR6400 and retractable gear! Video!

I've had it flying for a while, but just now decided to share it. This is an 18in Viperwing, the smallest ARF tailless flying wing in the world! I set this one up with an AR6400L, a Parkzone Sukhoi motor, a Zippy 240mah lipo, and retractable landing gear, actuated by a HobbyKing 2.5g servo. It weighs 35g and produces roughly 25g of thrust with a 2.25in prop. Because this wing has no vertical surfaces, drag is exceptionally low, allowing superb performance, even with an underpowered system. It will cruise around at just over half throttle, climb surprisingly well, and glide well too. It is capable of performing a variety of basic aerobatics. The top speed, according to my well trained eye, is around 30ish. Flight time has not been timed yet, but seems to be around 10-15min. If you want to see this thing fly in person, I'll be bringing it to Iowa in a week (http://www.expodome.org/). You can buy one for yourself too! I'll have pre-built airframes available (no landing gear) that just require electronics.
all4smallrc is offline Find More Posts by all4smallrc
Last edited by all4smallrc; Feb 22, 2011 at 04:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:42 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Looks great and I love the Retracts.

What Motor/Prop are you running. Is that a 8.4mm Sukhoi motor?

I'm looking for good 2.25 props.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:58 AM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Yep, 8.4mm Sukhoi motor. The prop is a BP 2.25in prop (http://bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=662). I've been very happy with this setup.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:05 AM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,948 Posts
Have you ever tried a Tri-Turbo with these motors?
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:34 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
I don't like how fragile they are, but I suppose I should try it with one.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:50 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
While in Iowa, I decided to try the Tri-Turbo prop. It had much more power, but flight times lacked a bit due to more amps being drawn. I could still fly for about 8-10 minutes though. Here is a video of the Viperwing demonstration I did during the air show on Sunday.
Viperwing demonstration (0 min 50 sec)
Old Feb 22, 2011, 05:00 PM
Gary
USA, CT, Sandy Hook
Joined Dec 2009
795 Posts
Can we see the details on your retracts?
gklein is offline Find More Posts by gklein
Old Feb 22, 2011, 05:09 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
It's really pretty simple. It's just modified Sukhoi landing gear that is hinged on the foam with small heat shrink tube. Stainless steel wires link the gear to the servo. Simple as that. The hard part was getting the front and rear landing gear to travel the right amount in proportion to each other. It was just a matter of changing the length of the wire for the front gear in relation to the hinge point though.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:57 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,948 Posts
Looks great SMALL, glad the Tri-Turbo worked out. I wouldn't call a 8-10 min flight lacking. Also looks like it slows down nice. If you get a brighter video please post it.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:37 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
It does slow down nice. The wing loading is much lighter than most of the Parkzone models. For having as much wing sweep as it does, it sure has a massive speed range. And surprisingly, even when you slow down a lot, you don't have to pull up very much to compensate the cg shift. At first, I was kind of disappointed with how dark the video turned out too (it was cloudy outside, and they had the lights off). Now though, I think it is better this way. The Wing still shows up well, so it is much easier to see than it would be if the background was brighter.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:00 AM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4smallrc View Post
It's really pretty simple. It's just modified Sukhoi landing gear that is hinged on the foam with small heat shrink tube. Stainless steel wires link the gear to the servo. Simple as that. The hard part was getting the front and rear landing gear to travel the right amount in proportion to each other. It was just a matter of changing the length of the wire for the front gear in relation to the hinge point though.
That's kind of a thin description when you could post a couple of pictures of the underside of the wing with no more difficulty than the first two pics you posted. The whole project is really neat.
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:16 AM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Uh, yeah, about that. I kinda broke the landing gear off in Iowa. That's why I caught it in the vid. I tried landing coming right out of a turn and one wheel touched down before the other one, causing it to rotate sideways. Then the other wheel caught the high grip floor and snapped the gear. I don't have any spare Sukhoi landing gear to replace it with.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:21 PM
Life begins at 40
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
667 Posts
wow! how much for kits?
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:02 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,035 Posts
Except for scale I tend to fly micros without landing gear anyway. Grass is unkind to LG and I hate looking like I crashed even when I've done a good landing.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:26 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtoplanes View Post
wow! how much for kits?
Due to RCGroups rules, I probably should not talk business here. Send me an email at orders@all4smallrc.com and I will get back to you. Thanks!