HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:21 AM
Super Man's cousin! No cape!
Australia, New South Wales, Wangi Wangi
Joined Sep 2010
479 Posts
Discussion
New Spektrum Radio - DX4e

Looks intresting. I might look into it as a simple radio.

What are your thoughts?
Ultra_Spitfire is offline Find More Posts by Ultra_Spitfire
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:52 AM
Belgium (as long as it exists)
Joined Sep 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra_Spitfire View Post

What are your thoughts?
does it have a training port?

Could become the cheapest option for buddy boxing to a more advanced radio...
RexRun is offline Find More Posts by RexRun
Old Feb 12, 2011, 05:02 AM
Joined Sep 2010
479 Posts
Not that I know of. I saw it in the blade micro mcp preview video.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 07:23 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,042 Posts
Quote:

What are your thoughts?
As far as I can see it is a low power (i.e., short range) radio suitable only for micro models. It is to become the standard radio for small Blade helicopters, starting with the new MCP in March.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 12, 2011, 03:01 PM
Joined Sep 2010
479 Posts
Yerp. It looks pretty much like the stock UM T-28 radio, instead it is a box. I will look at one as I will probably modify the mick out of it.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 08:57 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Yerp. It looks pretty much like the stock UM T-28 radio, instead it is a box. I will look at one as I will probably modify the mick out of it.
Huh?
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 12, 2011, 08:59 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
As far as I can see it is a low power (i.e., short range) radio suitable only for micro models. It is to become the standard radio for small Blade helicopters, starting with the new MCP in March.
Not sure how you would get this mis-information?
(There has never been an LP SPM branded Tx, and may well never be.
Full range... pretty much the same functionality of a DX5e.

David
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 12, 2011, 09:26 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,091 Posts
I don't see a DX4e listed on the Horizon hobby site. So this radio is probably in RTFs only.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 12, 2011, 09:27 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe View Post
Not sure how you would get this mis-information?
(There has never been an LP SPM branded Tx, and may well never be.
Full range... pretty much the same functionality of a DX5e.

David
Glad to have the clarification. All the material I read suggested the DX4e was intended for the micro helicopters. I didn't see any statement that it was a full power transmitter, even though it was Spektrum.

From the instruction sheet for the MSP, and as you imply, it appears that the DX4e has at least five channels (with one for pitch). So I'm not clear as to how the DX4e fits with the DX5e in the Spektrum range.

Could you explain a bit further please.

EDIT: Doing a bit more reading and viewing the latest Horizon Hobby video make things a bit clearer:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/12433991

The HH people say the DX4e will not be available separately, but only with the MSRx heli or as a replacement part. So for now at least, it's a dedicated unit. That's why I'm surprised it's full power.

They say it's four channel and that the intelligence to provide collective pitch, etc. resides in the receiver. They also say, however, that the new heli can't be used with the existing LP5DSM, which would tend to imply that there some sort of special coding for throttle hold/throttle up.

It definitely does do trainer but may only work as the master transmitter.
Last edited by Daedalus66; Feb 12, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:16 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,042 Posts
I have an mCP X helicopter on order at the LHS and have been told it will arrive about March 3. I ordered the RTF version as it will be useful to have a dedicated transmitter. I'm expecting that the sticks and general feel of the DX4e will be much better than those of the MP4DSM that comes with other micro models.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:56 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
I have an mCP X helicopter on order at the LHS and have been told it will arrive about March 3. I ordered the RTF version as it will be useful to have a dedicated transmitter. I'm expecting that the sticks and general feel of the DX4e will be much better than those of the MP4DSM that comes with other micro models.
Yes on trainer port...
We consider the sticks to be much superior to the MLP4DSM... in the DX5e class.
Like the 5e, the 4e can manipulate 6 channels... CH5 w/switch CH6 fires with trainer button (when no chord).

On mCPX in the 'aircraft radio' mode
-pitch and throttle curves use are in Rx
-CH5 is normal/idle up(stunt) curves
-CH6 engages throttle hold
(See the mCPX manual)

David
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:55 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,042 Posts
Thank you for the additional input, David. Good news about the sticks.

Also, watching the Horizon show in its entirety (see reference above), I got a better feel for the DX4e.

Although Horizon are saying in their current written material that it's exclusively for the MCP X helicopter, it was clearly designed for broader applications as apparently it includes elevon and V-tail mixing. So it looks like a neat little basic full range transmitter for 4-channel models. On the show they described its functionality as DX5e with one less channel, but as David says, channels 5 and 6 are there too (in a limited fashion). By the way, it takes a standard JR Spektrum trainer cable and appears to work as either master or slave.

I'm expecting it to work as a small, light travel transmitter, not only for the little helis but for simple fixed wing models. That's why I ordered the RTF MCP X for $40 more, even though I have a DX7 to fly the heli with.

Does it have reversing?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:13 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Not really a surprise about the 6 channels, the MLP4DSM also has 6 channels in a limited fashion.

That said there seem to be too many "basic" Spektrum radios now, starting to feel like the cheap Chinese made RTF "kits" where every different model has some basic transmitter that has one feature or control different from the next. It's really starting to not make any sense to me.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Feb 16, 2011, 07:22 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
There seem to be too many "basic" Spektrum radios now, starting to feel like the cheap Chinese made RTF "kits" where every different model has some basic transmitter that has one feature or control different from the next.
Which ones are you referring to? Can you provide a link, please.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 07:56 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
Not really a surprise about the 6 channels, the MLP4DSM also has 6 channels in a limited fashion.

That said there seem to be too many "basic" Spektrum radios now, starting to feel like the cheap Chinese made RTF "kits" where every different model has some basic transmitter that has one feature or control different from the next. It's really starting to not make any sense to me.
If they only had one common protocol where you could use a computer radio to control them all , and a way to buy it without a radio.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach