HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2011, 04:10 PM
Joined Jul 2006
18 Posts
I made a video of the jig I made to build these antennas. I hope it helps someone else get a clean working antenna. Enjoy.

Circular Antenna Jig (0 min 56 sec)
nemesis43 is offline Find More Posts by nemesis43
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2011, 05:03 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis43 View Post
I made a video of the jig I made to build these antennas. I hope it helps someone else get a clean working antenna. Enjoy.
Nice video, but the angle at which the lobe is "elevated" seems to be too low. Maybe it's the video, but it should be around 45 degrees for an SPW, a wee bit more for a CL.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Oct 06, 2011, 06:33 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterInVegas View Post
Your using a CP Tx with a Linear Rx antenna? You need to match your antennas. CP on both OR Linear on both.

You need to build one of these for your vRx.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post16782555
Alright, thank you. Now I have to decide if I want to go through the trouble of making another, or if I just want to make the inverted vee antenna.
Would I still have to make another vee antenna for the Rx or will it work with the rubber one it comes with?

Nemesis, that's a good idea! I was able to manage my build with those "helping hands" alligator clips for soldering.
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 06, 2011, 07:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
I had exactly 1cm more wire than I need for another cloverleaf so I will make another. Funny I just said "6 feet" to the guy and it happens to be the exact amount I need to make 2 antennas.

By the way, I'm using .16 wire.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 07:56 PM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
Would I still have to make another vee antenna for the Rx or will it work with the rubber one it comes with?
Ive never heard of the Vee being used on a vRx. You would be better off with a Patch on the vRx with the Vee.

Just get another foot of wire and build a SPW. You will like it.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Oct 06, 2011, 07:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
I'm almost done making it. This is a pain in the ass. No wonder readymaderc charges like $20 for it lol
Old Oct 06, 2011, 11:06 PM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
Is this multipathing ?

Hello Guys, I was using the DIY CP Patch on the vrx and a cloverleaf on the airplane and I was getting some interference. Is this multipathing or something else? my vtx is 900mhz.

video
http://vimeo.com/30169853

thanks
pc_pilot
pc_pilot is offline Find More Posts by pc_pilot
Old Oct 07, 2011, 12:20 AM
KF5LDN FPV Junkie!!!
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Nov 2009
1,755 Posts
@IBCrazy

Shouldn't the CL theoreticly be the best choice for ground vehicles?

I'm STILL using the cheesey rubber ducks and I'm ready for some to experiment with some other antennae.
Wizzard033 is offline Find More Posts by Wizzard033
Old Oct 07, 2011, 07:24 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,446 Posts
The answer is: currently. Hugo (Hugeone) and I are putting our heads together on some newer antenna designs. We are experimenting with stacking antennas in phase and out of phase with several impedance matching techniques to get the most accurate results.

Strangely, the cloverleaf doesn't do well stacked. The skew wheel does, though. Still working on the stacked pentalobe sphere right now. The downside of these antennas is that they will be large and expensive due to their complexity...

We've also just got the new "crosshair" antenna simulated. nearly perfect .99 axial ratio and 8dbic. Put it together with a stacked set and you'll get a video link so solid you'd swear you were hard wired

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Oct 07, 2011, 07:26 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_pilot View Post
Hello Guys, I was using the DIY CP Patch on the vrx and a cloverleaf on the airplane and I was getting some interference. Is this multipathing or something else? my vtx is 900mhz.

video
http://vimeo.com/30169853

thanks
pc_pilot
That looks like mostly signal noise from a poorly filtered power system onboard the airplane. However you are getting small packets of external noise. I see no multipathing at all in that video other than the one short dive you did.

-Alex
Old Oct 07, 2011, 07:34 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
I'm almost done making it. This is a pain in the ass. No wonder readymaderc charges like $20 for it lol
Magnets. Magnets make it so much easier to build these things. ne thing that might help you is to bend a small loop at the end of your single lobe and a short hook on the other end. Of course you need to compensate for this by making sure the full length of the leg is still the same, but that's easy. When you slide the dual element through the loop of the first and set it on a set of magnets, the lobes fall naturally into their proper position, or at least very close to it.

Then you can take the hooks and hook the center conductor. This makes a far stroner solder joint and also makes it easier.

Welcome to circular polarization. You can give away your linear stuff now. you won't be needing them anymore

-Alex
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:46 AM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
Hello Alex, How can I clean that up? I use two batteries so the video system has it's own power supply.

Thanks
pc_pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
That looks like mostly signal noise from a poorly filtered power system onboard the airplane. However you are getting small packets of external noise. I see no multipathing at all in that video other than the one short dive you did.

-Alex
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:50 AM
One with the machine
Antarctica
Joined Jul 2010
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_pilot View Post
Hello Alex, How can I clean that up? I use two batteries so the video system has it's own power supply.

Thanks
pc_pilot
Info here on how to make a power filter:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=339
X--ALIEN--X is offline Find More Posts by X--ALIEN--X
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:30 AM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
Since my vtx and camera battery is different from the motor battery would the filter just drop in between the vtx battery and the vtx/camera power connector?

Thanks
pc_pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by X--ALIEN--X View Post
Info here on how to make a power filter:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=339
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:05 AM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Mar 2001
4,178 Posts
Just got back from work and found a spool of .8mm mig wire on my doorstep.

An hour later I ended up with this.

How did I do????

Clover Leaf circular VTX aerial (0 min 44 sec)

If all's good I'll wack some hot glue round the center
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark