SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 05, 2011, 11:05 PM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
USA, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2007
841 Posts
The 120 in red is between the two lower leads that are coplanar. I think that the leads that connect the arcs are all about 110 degrees in mine. I'll adjust the angles.

The interesting thing about this antenna is that when I use my linear patch RX antennas I get MUCH better reception when I am close. I'll make a Skew next and test them both. I had a lot of trouble visualizing how the two parts went together until I saw the symmetry; if I get good at this I will make a video showing the steps as I understand them.
BloomingtonFPV is offline Find More Posts by BloomingtonFPV
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2011, 02:37 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Cloverleaf - upside down mount?

Alex-

I'm using the cloverleaf/SPW combo and it works great. Now, the question arose among fly buddies of mine wether the cloverleaf could be mounted below the plane upside down or if this would negatively affect it's performance?

TIA

Markus
markus123456 is online now Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Mar 06, 2011, 07:10 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,230 Posts
Subscribing I've already built a SPW for my VRx, and it sounds like the best range can be obtained with a CL on the VTx, so that's next on my build list

One question though - is it better to build them RHCP than LHCP? My VRx SPW is LHCP as I built it from Alex's instructions in his tutorial ... should I redo it in RHCP?

Many thanks

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Mar 06, 2011, 07:29 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
David-
No need to redo the Rx antenna if you do your CL as LHCP. There is no advantage of LHCP versus RHCP as long as both antennas use the same orientation.

HTH

Markus
Old Mar 06, 2011, 12:08 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,230 Posts
Ah ok, thanks for the confirmation Markus

I could have sworn that I read someone saying that RHCP produced slightly better results ... but I can't remember where

Cheers!

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Mar 06, 2011, 04:30 PM
Joined Sep 2005
376 Posts
Here's my cloverleaf on the plane. It didn't end up being the cleanest install, but removing the extra tape would have caused a problem, so I left it.
JackDaniels is offline Find More Posts by JackDaniels
Old Mar 08, 2011, 12:59 AM
I do all my own crashes
United States, NH, Rochester
Joined Jan 2011
243 Posts
OK, this maybe obvious to many but how could I use this antenna with this ~

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14356

There is one inbound my station, I'd like to get all the range I can out of it. The two antennas has me questioning how to set it up.

Also I'm upgrading my 9x with the Frysky 2.4GHz DIY kit, would I just put another cloverleaf on the output of that?

Thanks guys. ~Wingnut13
Wingnut13 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut13
Old Mar 08, 2011, 03:47 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut13 View Post
OK, this maybe obvious to many but how could I use this antenna with this ~

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14356

There is one inbound my station, I'd like to get all the range I can out of it. The two antennas has me questioning how to set it up.

Also I'm upgrading my 9x with the Frysky 2.4GHz DIY kit, would I just put another cloverleaf on the output of that?

Thanks guys. ~Wingnut13
IMHO so far people used CP antennas exclusively for the video link. I'm however totally with you meaning that CP would be superior to the RC link also. As far as the RC recivers go, a little obstacle might be the fact that the Rx is having two antennas. I haven't delved into the deepest details regarding the FrSky Rx but if I'm not mistaken it uses ONE Texas Instruments transciver and switches the antenna back and forth picking the best signal.

So you could try to plug a cloverleaf into one of them. I would try with two cloverleafs, one on the RC Rx and one on the Tx end as cloverleafs are better Tx antennas. NOTE, due to the telemetry kind of the FrSky radio, the RC Rx obviousely transmitts too. So if the firmware is not clever enough to transmit on the channel with the best Rx signal, you may have linearly polarized transmits mixed with CP ones. Ok, you could add two cloverleafs for the Rx but this would mean to actually have three such antennas on the plane. Looks ugly and means a lot of drag....

Apart from the fact that this would be an interesting experiment, I would go for a long range radio if you are after extending the RC range.

I would be really interested to know how this works out, and do a range test first!

Markus
Old Mar 08, 2011, 07:55 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,815 Posts
Did a little flying with my Cloverleaf yesterday. I love it.

PZ T-28 flying Chase with Twinstar (Short Clip) (2 min 40 sec)
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:58 PM
Joined Mar 2011
5 Posts
I'm building one of these at the moment (at 5.8) with some gold plated memory wire and it's pretty tricky! Given that it often comes looped, I'd strongly suggest getting a large diameter loop - I had to spend a significant amount of time straightening the wire before getting down to business. At the moment I'm having a really hard time soldering this stuff together, but I don't have any flux so I suspect this is the cause. I'll be picking up some acid flux tomorrow hopefully, which should solve the problem.

Really looking forward to finishing these up and trying them out, you guys all seem to be getting amazing results!
Pipe Merchant is offline Find More Posts by Pipe Merchant
Old Mar 08, 2011, 05:23 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Oct 2005
414 Posts
Alex

I just purchased one of your cloverleafs from Tim and have just one question. Is it a problem to change the length of the feed line?

thanks

Mark
Blue Collar is offline Find More Posts by Blue Collar
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:15 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar View Post
Alex

I just purchased one of your cloverleafs from Tim and have just one question. Is it a problem to change the length of the feed line?

thanks

Mark
Shortening it is OK. Lengthening in it is very difficult.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:23 AM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipe Merchant View Post
I'm building one of these at the moment (at 5.8) with some gold plated memory wire and it's pretty tricky! Given that it often comes looped, I'd strongly suggest getting a large diameter loop - I had to spend a significant amount of time straightening the wire before getting down to business. At the moment I'm having a really hard time soldering this stuff together, but I don't have any flux so I suspect this is the cause. I'll be picking up some acid flux tomorrow hopefully, which should solve the problem.

Really looking forward to finishing these up and trying them out, you guys all seem to be getting amazing results!
Should not use acid flux for soldering electronics.
Acid flux is more suitable for plumbing repair, not electronics.

Get some rosin flux instead, or better, get some rosin flux cored electronic solder.

http://www.escience.ca/hobby/RENDER/...085/11168.html

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062715
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:29 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Oct 2005
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Shortening it is OK. Lengthening in it is very difficult.

-Alex
That works for me thanks for the info and all your hard work.

Mark
Blue Collar is offline Find More Posts by Blue Collar
Old Mar 09, 2011, 10:06 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
I am selling my NIB 900MHz components and getting 1.3GHz because of a potential conflict with a local wireless ISP tower, I went with the omni vtx/8db patch vrx antenna for the 900 system, I was thinking cloverleaf but they weren't available from RMRC at the time.

Now that I am getting 1.3, I was thinking the inverted V antenna with the biquad, would I be better off going with the cloverleaf? Would I put a CL on the Rx too?

IIRC the biquad is also part of Alex's DIY tracker, so I was thinking with the BQ I would already have a head start should I decide to build this..
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr