HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:14 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
I used standard steel wire. I have tried several different types from Miller to Lincoln electric to Chicago Electric. All work fine. Aluminum doesn't solder. You will need to add flux to the wire before soldering or the solder will not take. Stainless steel doesn't work very well either.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:08 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
... The cloverleaf has higher gain, but less reverse polarity rejection.
-Alex
In what direction is the gain increase (ie sacrificing vertical for horizontal, below horizon for above, is it more "lobed" directionality, etc)?
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:16 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
Higher horizontal gain. Vertical gain in the skew-planar wheel and Cloverleaf is identical.

-Alex
Old Feb 20, 2011, 04:48 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,110 Posts
Alex. I also use the 'bob' system. What plug are you useing on the RX. This is the only one that I can find that fits. Is it OK to use. It is 75ohm.
Thanks.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2off-f-plug-sa...item4cf5289dde
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Flypoppa; Feb 20, 2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 08:02 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
I use an F male to SMA female adapter on the RX. This way I can use the SMA connector on my antennas.

-Alex
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:21 PM
oxford uk
Joined Aug 2010
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonboy View Post
Paul, I'm watchin ya

0.6mm MIG wire is quite strong, but 0.8mm would be better.
Downside of MIG wire is that the copper coating is very thin and over time, the steel wire below will rust and percolate through the copper - ever left your welder in a damp garage for a few weeks and then wonder why your weld is like seagull pooh and you need a new liner for the gun feed?

The best wire is the gold plated 'Memory Wire' used for making neck and wrist bracelets - I got mine in my local 'beads n bangles' shop - it's the one full of ladies giving you strange looks

Ever used one of these?
http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/antenna...ts/comet-mcb-3
Drive a wheel over the base plate and drop an extending mast over the pole, voila, sturdy mast at 20 foot.
Made my own for operating on Amateur Radio VHF field days.

Nigel.
Cheers Nigel... depending on rollcage fabbing or VW restoration either my mig or tig will sit idle for weeks on end. If the mig is left anywhere damp I have an old t-shirt soaked in WD40 to stop the rust! And a natty little foam block that lives by the wire feed 'in' to take off rust and dust

Blooming expensive bit of metal that!! If you need another let me know. I bend tubes I do lol.

How on earth you managed to fab and solder a clover at 5.8 is well beyond me for the time being but I will be giving this a go in a couple of weeks having seen Alex's results. Alex I hope that Kempo (on the dosd thread) will give this a go. His results 4 miles out at 10m up are stunning as it is. He would be the ideal candidate to do long range testing for you!

Thanks again for everyones research and sharing

Paul
yogz is offline Find More Posts by yogz
Old Feb 23, 2011, 06:42 PM
USA, VA, Warrenton
Joined May 2008
128 Posts
Optimum height cloverleaf?

Alex, I just finished assembling your dual cloverleaf kits for 910mHz and, believe it or not, they actually work. If you had seen me struggling with the first one at 3:30 AM this morning, you would have had your doubts as did I. I'll give them a go tomorrow. Has anybody experimented with heights above ground for these?

Thanks,

Chris
FCAFlyer is offline Find More Posts by FCAFlyer
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:57 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
Mount them as high in the air as possible. Of course they work well. They're an IBCrazy antenna

-Alex
Old Feb 23, 2011, 09:45 PM
USA, VA, Warrenton
Joined May 2008
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Mount them as high in the air as possible. Of course they work well. They're an IBCrazy antenna

-Alex
Thanks, Alex. Will do.
Oh, no. I wasn't questioning the design. I know your designs are phenomenal. It was the ability of the guy who was putting it together I was concerned about.
FCAFlyer is offline Find More Posts by FCAFlyer
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:51 AM
Cut - Print - It's a wrap
Santa Clarita, CA
Joined Jan 2004
214 Posts
Alex
I assume the Helix Cloverleaf should not be mounted on the pan and tilt tracker. It should be mounted on a static mount?

Mike
tvedit is offline Find More Posts by tvedit
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:57 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvedit View Post
Alex
I assume the Helix Cloverleaf should not be mounted on the pan and tilt tracker. It should be mounted on a static mount?

Mike
No. The helix works great on a tracker. The circular polarization makes the tilt function work really well without loss of polarization.

-Alex
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:35 AM
Cut - Print - It's a wrap
Santa Clarita, CA
Joined Jan 2004
214 Posts
EXCELLENT! Much easier! Thanks Alex. Patiently waiting for my antennas. I'll give you a status report when I mount and try them out.

Thanks
Mike
tvedit is offline Find More Posts by tvedit
Old Mar 05, 2011, 02:35 PM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
USA, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2007
840 Posts
Cloverleaf angles?

Alex-

Could you check my angles? I had a hard time thinking in three dimensions but I think I figured it out except for possibly the actual values. I have an opportunity to re-bend things now that it is soldered. Are the angles that I've listed correct? The actual angles probably are not those yet.

pardon the ugly soldering. This was my learning one.

Any other tips for construction?

Thanks,

Tom
BloomingtonFPV is offline Find More Posts by BloomingtonFPV
Old Mar 05, 2011, 04:37 PM
Joined Sep 2005
376 Posts
Hey Alex - I built a 5.8ghz cloverleaf about 2 weeks ago, but the elements have been conspiring to keep me from testing it.

I managed to get out today for a little bit, but the wind was pretty strong and my Fox is only about 200gm, so I was still held back by the wind quite a bit. I did manage about a mile (as per google earth), but the wind coming through the valley was too strong to go much further.

I only started to lose the video once and I think I was just starting to get too much altitude. The mountains in the area are ~750ft high and I was convincingly above them at that point. The video was solid as a rock otherwise.

Hardly exciting distances, but up until now Ive been using a 13mm wire, so its great to have a realistic antenna for this frequency.

Thanks for all the DIY assistance.

I dont have a picture to post right now, but Ill try and get one posted soon.
JackDaniels is online now Find More Posts by JackDaniels
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:48 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomingtonFPV View Post
Alex-

Could you check my angles? I had a hard time thinking in three dimensions but I think I figured it out except for possibly the actual values. I have an opportunity to re-bend things now that it is soldered. Are the angles that I've listed correct? The actual angles probably are not those yet.

pardon the ugly soldering. This was my learning one.

Any other tips for construction?

Thanks,

Tom
Your soldering is fine. The 60 degree angle should be between 45 and 50 degrees. The 120 degree angle should be around 110, but 120 is close enough.

-Alex