:-)
we need a LIKE tab here on this forum!
markus +1
rusty case is offline Find More Posts by rusty case
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:32 AM
Joined Nov 2012
75 Posts
If I am making a Cloverleaf/Skew Planar Set for 1280MHz, should I make both antenna's with the same wavelength and quarter wavelength's, or should I do it exactly like you have on your instructional pages: (Clover 1280MHz = 18.9"/479.5mm (quarter 1280MHz = 2.36"/60mm) , and Skew 1280MHz = 18.49"/469.8mm (quarter 1280MHz = 2.31"/60mm)

This is my first time attempting this, so I would like to do it right.
Thanks!
Borister is offline Find More Posts by Borister
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:13 PM
Joined Jan 2008
6 Posts
Alex would it not be better to build these antennas for the middle of the band (CH4: 1080Hz, CH5: 1120Hz, CH6: 1160Hz, CH7: 1200Hz, CH8: 1240Hz, CH9: 1280Hz, CH(H): 1320Hz, CH(C): 1360Hz)
which would be 1240 so that the swr would be more even at each end of the band .Best chanel for transmitting and reciving on would be if a 1:1 swr is on 1240 and each end might be a 1: 5 to 1 at each end theoreticaly Mike
avro-fan is offline Find More Posts by avro-fan
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:17 PM
Burt KF7ULM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2007
93 Posts
Broken

Has anyone repaired a broken antenna that looks like this.

It has worked fine for about a year, but just broke it today with a hand launch of a new plane that was way out of trim. When I got it in the air, the picture was BAD. Landed and found the problem.

Now is it worth fixing it, and has anyone else done it and have any pointers.

Thanks
Burt
burtgree is online now Find More Posts by burtgree
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:58 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtgree View Post

It has worked fine for about a year, but just broke it today with a hand launch of a new plane that was way out of trim. When I got it in the air, the picture was BAD. Landed and found the problem.

Thanks
Burt
If you manage to take that plastics away and resolder you should be ok. Alternatively you just take it apart, dump the cable and replace it with a new one. The lobes should be reuseable with no problem. The frequency this antenna operates on is already pretty forgiveing so the result should work ok. Amazing that you manage to break it by just tossing the plane into the air....

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:31 AM
Burt KF7ULM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2007
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
If you manage to take that plastics away and resolder you should be ok. Alternatively you just take it apart, dump the cable and replace it with a new one. The lobes should be reuseable with no problem. The frequency this antenna operates on is already pretty forgiveing so the result should work ok. Amazing that you manage to break it by just tossing the plane into the air....

HTH

Markus
Wasn't the tose, but the nose in to the ground after.

Strange, it is a bixler2, used everything from the bixler1. Only added two servos for flaps.shouldn't have a problem.
burtgree is online now Find More Posts by burtgree
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:38 AM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
Burt
I did repaired such a broken antenna a couple of weeks ago. Actually, it was a SPW, not a CL, but it is the same thing. It actually broke when my 2,5 yeard old son was having a look at it

What markus123456 said is spot on. You just have to be very careful and have steady hands when you are doing the resoldering, in order to avoid shortcircuiting the inner wire with the outer mesh of the cable at the solder point.

Regards,
Stavros
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:21 AM
Joined Nov 2012
75 Posts
What do you suggest to do about the thickness of the coax? When I solder the ends right up to the coax, the thickness of the coax is not precise, and changes thing significantly. Is this significant?
Borister is offline Find More Posts by Borister
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:57 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,393 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
Burt
That happened with many of my earlier antenna until I switched to a thicker, sturdier cable and a nylon reinforcing bead at the feed. You can repair it and it's actually not too terribly hard once you cut the collar underneath the heatshrink tubing.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:18 AM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,617 Posts
I'm very late into this CL antenna. Finally overcame my laziness and go this way because of a land based 4WD FPV set up.

First off, I would like to thank Alex for the tutorial at the front of this thread.
Makes building the cloverleaf so damn easy!

I did my first 1280Hz clover leaf yesterday, and I'm blown away.
I'm really really blown away!!

Can't believe I spent all that money on a bloody antenna tracker...

Thanks again Alex. You da man.

BB
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:18 PM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,831 Posts
Question - Bandwidth for lower frequency SPWs

I have a couple of SPW (3-blade cloverleaf) antennas that were mistakenly built for 1080Mhz.

I would like to run them on 1040MHz (Channel 4 on non-US 901MHz VTXs).

What is the bandwidth of the antennas like at these lower frequencies?
Is it worth the effort to build new antennas at 1040MHz in terms of range/signal-quality/less-heat? How much better would properly tuned antennas be?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Roger
Kahnx is online now Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:00 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,865 Posts
They will be fine... I use 1280 antennas on 1258 all the time!

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:53 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,150 Posts
my antenna is tuned for 1280Mhz but i fly on 1320Mhz no problem at all with my 200mw did 3.5km before video was totally out
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:09 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,053 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone here is using those push-on SMA connectors instead of screw on?
I'm not sure if the CL antenna would stay in at high speed/aerobatics .. but it sure is faster to plug in.
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:12 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeUp View Post
I'm wondering if anyone here is using those push-on SMA connectors instead of screw on?
I'm not sure if the CL antenna would stay in at high speed/aerobatics .. but it sure is faster to plug in.
I saw those and was thinking of that for a wing connection but then i decided on mounting the VTX in the wing and just using a servo connection to remove the power/ground/vid from the VTX. Less loss in the antenna without all those connections.

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member