HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:24 AM
United Kingdom, England, Herefordshire
Joined Oct 2012
195 Posts
Grounding shield?

Hi All,

Firstly, thank you for the guide! Amazing work for everyone

I've just built a cloverleaf and a skew planar for 1280Mhz (see image attached, I used some wire that was really thick!! Is 2mm Diameter too thick? I got it out of some cable thats meant to wire up your house)

My understanding was..

1. Signal wire (core) attaches to the top side of all the ends
2. The copper is then bent to shape
3. The bottom of the copper attaches to the SHIELD of the signal cable
4. The shield connects to ground

My question is, is it meant to attach to ground? All my electronics says that attaching to ground is shorting it out, would it not be better with a filter capacitor to ground?

The original antenna on my system did not contact ground, only the shielding..

I have looked all over internet but no one mentions about this grounding.. My cheap transmitter i don't think is powerful enough to overcome this (see the image, its that tiny tiny green square attached to the antenna)

Video works and it does transmit, but not very far, and I get interference when it is tilted.. to be honest i'm not even sure what frequency my transmitter/receiver is! It has an analogue tuning dial..

Thanks! G
geebles is online now Find More Posts by geebles
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:35 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebles View Post
Hi All,

Firstly, thank you for the guide! Amazing work for everyone

I've just built a cloverleaf and a skew planar for 1280Mhz (see image attached, I used some wire that was really thick!! Is 2mm Diameter too thick? I got it out of some cable thats meant to wire up your house)

My understanding was..

1. Signal wire (core) attaches to the top side of all the ends
2. The copper is then bent to shape
3. The bottom of the copper attaches to the SHIELD of the signal cable
4. The shield connects to ground

My question is, is it meant to attach to ground? All my electronics says that attaching to ground is shorting it out, would it not be better with a filter capacitor to ground?

The original antenna on my system did not contact ground, only the shielding..

I have looked all over internet but no one mentions about this grounding.. My cheap transmitter i don't think is powerful enough to overcome this (see the image, its that tiny tiny green square attached to the antenna)

Video works and it does transmit, but not very far, and I get interference when it is tilted.. to be honest i'm not even sure what frequency my transmitter/receiver is! It has an analogue tuning dial..

Thanks! G
What at DC levels looks like a short is not a short in the HF domain. Your antennas are built correctly as it seems.

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is online now Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:50 AM
United Kingdom, England, Herefordshire
Joined Oct 2012
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
What at DC levels looks like a short is not a short in the HF domain. Your antennas are built correctly as it seems.

HTH

Markus
Thanks for the quick reply, i'm sorry for how silly my post may have sounded! Have learnt something Either way i think i will upgrade transmitter, the Cloverleaf is still a significant improvement open the original one!

Thanks, G
geebles is online now Find More Posts by geebles
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:27 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
740 Posts
Geebles,

Your wire is thick, but not relatively as thick as the wire that many 5.8Ghz CP builders use. And they are successful so I guess it won't harm that much. But it is also heavy. Anyway, if you have significant improvement then that's an important step forward. Maybe next time try thinner wire like piano wire (really tough and strong but a bit hard to straighten out and bend). Others also use welding wire with success, but I never tried that.

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:43 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,125 Posts
Hi guys,
Been watching the clip on building a base feed cloverleaf
Base-fed Cloverleaf build.mpg (4 min 44 sec)
The construction looks pretty straight forward but is a lot different to the details on page 1 of this thread. Is this video the same antenna, and are there measurements/ details for building this one?

Thanks, Mark
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:39 PM
Can i get a do-over?!?!
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Nov 2012
98 Posts
Newbie with stupid questions

I have read this front to back and i have yet to find any lengths for the wire to work for 900mhz systems. Did i just miss it, or is it not in this thread? I am new to RC and to FPV, so i really don't want to to ruin anything. I just got the hobbyking 900mhz 100mw system and it is ok, but i want to venture out farther than the stock antennas will allow. Any suggestions? Thank you for your time and help.
JesterKlown77 is offline Find More Posts by JesterKlown77
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:48 PM
Fatshark Repairs AU/NZ
Australia, NSW, Yamba
Joined Oct 2008
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterKlown77 View Post
I have read this front to back and i have yet to find any lengths for the wire to work for 900mhz systems. Did i just miss it, or is it not in this thread? I am new to RC and to FPV, so i really don't want to to ruin anything. I just got the hobbyking 900mhz 100mw system and it is ok, but i want to venture out farther than the stock antennas will allow. Any suggestions? Thank you for your time and help.
Look below , from the first page

Cheers
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
The antenna is made from two lengths of wire. One is twice as long as the other. The lengths can be calculated:

Long Wire length in inches = 24175/f in MHz

Or for you metric folks

Long Wire length in mm = 614035/f in MHz

So for:

910MHz = 26.5"/675mm
1280MHz = 18.9"/479.5mm
2.4GHz = 9.86"/250.5mm
5.8GHz = 4.1/105mm

Short wire length = 12088/f in MHz
Or in metric:
Short wire length in mm = 307022/f in MHz
910MHz = 13.25/338mm
1280MHz = 9.44/240mm
2.4GHz = 4.93/125mm
5.8GHz = 2.08/53mm

Now you need to calculate your quarter wavelength which is simply 1/8 of your wire length.

Quarter wavelength in inches = 3021/f in MHz

Or

Quarter wavelength in mm = 76755/f in MHz

So for:

910MHz = 3.32"/84mm
1280MHz = 2.36"/60mm
2.4GHz = 1.23"/31mm
5.8GHz = .52"/13mm

You may notice this is a little longer than the true electrical quarter wavelength such as that is used in the BiQuad tutorial. Admittedly, I don't know why this is the case, but it appears to work best 1-2% longer than the electrical wavelength, so we'll go with it. Hey, it hit a perfect 1.0 SWR on the first try, so apparently something is right.

-Alex
KJ4RIV
hpcoolahan is offline Find More Posts by hpcoolahan
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:03 AM
Can i get a do-over?!?!
Joined Nov 2012
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcoolahan View Post
Look below , from the first page

Cheers
Patrick
HOLY CRAP!!! I read that (a couple of days ago) and it flew right over my head!! Now, to get my brain to wrap (or warp) around it!! Thanks for the point... Had i been smarter (or possibly sober when i read it), i would've seen it days ago.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:27 AM
Fatshark Repairs AU/NZ
Australia, NSW, Yamba
Joined Oct 2008
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterKlown77 View Post
HOLY CRAP!!! I read that (a couple of days ago) and it flew right over my head!! Now, to get my brain to wrap (or warp) around it!! Thanks for the point... Had i been smarter (or possibly sober when i read it), i would've seen it days ago.

lol. your welcome
hpcoolahan is offline Find More Posts by hpcoolahan
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:13 PM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,830 Posts
anyone know where to simply buy a set of 5.8g antennas?

Thanks
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:55 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2012
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVH View Post
anyone know where to simply buy a set of 5.8g antennas?

Thanks
Hugo at TrueRC.com would be one of the best out there.
Crashed22 is offline Find More Posts by Crashed22
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:51 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
Hugo (True RC) and his "True Wired" antenna set is a great choice. The BluBeams are the original sets. You can find these at Ready Made RC, Hobby Wireless, Future Hobbies, and a several other places.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:16 PM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,830 Posts
Thank you!
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:08 PM
Can i get a do-over?!?!
Joined Nov 2012
98 Posts
I made a pair of these for my modest little FPV setup and WOW!!! The work great!! I know the angles are off and the measurements are not perfect, but they work WAY better than the stockers that came with my system. Thanks, Alex for your hard work and generosity in gifting the ideas and how-to's that make it possible for all of us to do this sort of thing (even on a tight budget). I am so impressed, even with my "hack-job", I might make a couple of your other designs, just to say I tried them. Thanks again.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:42 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
You can find these at Ready Made RC
Yup... checked there hoping for a Blackfriday special... sort of dissapointed I was hoping to get a 5.8 600mw and a CL set for it for more than 25% off but guess this black friday is not like the rest...

Chris
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member