HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:47 AM
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modelerchina View Post
I feel easy to drop out more in gusty condition than regular.
Lol, radio waves are not affected by wind as sound is.
Zen09 is offline Find More Posts by Zen09
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:50 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen09 View Post
Lol, radio waves are not affected by wind as sound is.
maybe his antenna flexed because of the wind
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:17 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
maybe his antenna flexed because of the wind
I make sure my Antenna is not in front of the prop, I dont want the airwaves to get chopped up...
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, MN, Chisholm
Joined Nov 2003
15 Posts
Well, after countless hours of reading this, and other IBCrazy antenna threads, I pulled the trigger on building a set of antennas for my new 1280Mhz video system. I haven't tested them yet, as I am still waiting for the system to arrive. See below the picture of a CL (Vtx) and matching SPW (Vrx). They are made from 14ga solid copper. I am hoping to paint them with a flat black spray paint, to help prevent corrosion, and for looks. Painting them shouldn't effect the performance should it?

This is my first venture into FPV. The system will be used in both a Radeon Pro glider, and a y6 multirotor (which I just started gathering the parts for).

The multirotor will use and ArduCopter controller, along with a 3dr telemetry link (433Mhz) to a base station. As stated above the video link will be achieved via 1280Mhz. All RC control, when not flying in autopilot mode, will be done with a 2.4Ghz Spektrum system.

Anyone have a recommendation for the 433Mhz antennas? A CL at that frequency would be about 14 inches in diameter, that is too big, at least for the airframe side. One thing to keep in mind if you make a suggestion, this is a 2-way link.

EDIT: Added a closeup of the feedpoint attachment
danowar is offline Find More Posts by danowar
Last edited by danowar; Jun 17, 2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:04 PM
Sweden, Värmland County, Karlstad
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
Second attempt to make a Cloverleaf antenna.

johankall is offline Find More Posts by johankall
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:33 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johankall View Post
Second attempt to make a Cloverleaf antenna.

Hard to tell from pictures, but I get the impression the angle of attack of the lobes is too small. It should be around 45 degrees.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:05 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
First attempt

So here's my first attempt at a cloverleaf and skew planar. it's 5.8GHz (channel 4) and i used guitar wire to make the lobes. the wire thickness is 0.4mm, is that too thin?
Zander46 is offline Find More Posts by Zander46
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander46 View Post
So here's my first attempt at a cloverleaf and skew planar. it's 5.8GHz (channel 4) and i used guitar wire to make the lobes. the wire thickness is 0.4mm, is that too thin?
The angle at which you shot the pictures is uncommon and not well suited to judge how well things are. Make pictures from the side of the antenans (90 degrees angle to the coax cable) and from top with them standing on table.

Markus
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:51 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,466 Posts
Quote:
That's perfect, actually. Those look good!

-Alex
IBCrazy is online now Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
The angle at which you shot the pictures is uncommon and not well suited to judge how well things are. Make pictures from the side of the antenans (90 degrees angle to the coax cable) and from top with them standing on table.

Markus
Oops, yeah they are kinda horrible angles hey. It's amazing how hard it is to visualize intricate shapes like these in the brain when you haven't got decent reference points.
Here are some better views.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
That's perfect, actually. Those look good!

-Alex
Thank you for the design!!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:22 PM
Scammers need to go!
Slidell, La
Joined Oct 2006
1,448 Posts
Hey guys got a problem. I dont quite understand these cables yet and have hit a wall. I purchased my tx and rx setup from another member and didnt think to ask all of the tech questions. I am in need of a right angle cl for my tx and want to build a new one just to try my hands at it. Problem is I have no idea what type of connectors that I have. Any input would be highly appreciated Mine seem to be reversed Or are there just different types?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160558863405...84.m1497.l2649
HyperHelis is online now Find More Posts by HyperHelis
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,847 Posts
Quote:
Oops, yeah they are kinda horrible angles hey. It's amazing how hard it is to visualize intricate shapes like these in the brain when you haven't got decent reference points.
Here are some better views.
They in fact look good. 0.4mm is on the thin side. However it works. The antennas will be slightly more narrow band which is not ideal if you have no means of tuning them (which I asume is the case). But don't worry about that for now. I'm sure they will outperform the stock whips in terms of range, but most importantly in terms of interferances caused by reflections.

Markus
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_dragonfly View Post
Hey guys got a problem. I dont quite understand these cables yet and have hit a wall. I purchased my tx and rx setup from another member and didnt think to ask all of the tech questions. I am in need of a right angle cl for my tx and want to build a new one just to try my hands at it. Problem is I have no idea what type of connectors that I have. Any input would be highly appreciated Mine seem to be reversed Or are there just different types?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160558863405...84.m1497.l2649
What you have is SMA-RP. What's offered (second pic) is SMA. There are SMA-RP pigtails available though, and you best order one with two SMA-RP MALE connectors on both sides.

The SMA-RP was invented to prevent consumers from connecting higher gain HAM-Radio antennas to WiFi equiepement. At least that's the story I once heard. There is a pretty easy bridge to understand what this means. If it's RP, what you think is female is actually male and vice versa.

So with SMA-RP, if it's "male" on how it looks (center pin, not a hole) this counts as female and if it has in fact a hole, it's called "male". Pretty crazy world...

With SMA on the other hand (which is NOT what you need and have) it's like you would expect it, that is center pin -> male, hole in the center -> female.

Got me confused too in the begining.

HTH

Markus
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:28 PM
Scammers need to go!
Slidell, La
Joined Oct 2006
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
What you have is SMA-RP. What's offered (second pic) is SMA. There are SMA-RP pigtails available though, and you best order one with two SMA-RP MALE connectors on both sides.

The SMA-RP was invented to prevent consumers from connecting higher gain HAM-Radio antennas to WiFi equiepement. At least that's the story I once heard. There is a pretty easy bridge to understand what this means. If it's RP, what you think is female is actually male and vice versa.

So with SMA-RP, if it's "male" on how it looks (center pin, not a hole) this counts as female and if it has in fact a hole, it's called "male". Pretty crazy world...

With SMA on the other hand (which is NOT what you need and have) it's like you would expect it, that is center pin -> male, hole in the center -> female.

Got me confused too in the begining.

HTH

Markus
Thanks for spelling it out like that for me, it put me on the right track! Ok one more question. When it says 50cm is that just the length of the pig tail? Basically are all the rp-sma and sma all the same threaded size?
HyperHelis is online now Find More Posts by HyperHelis