HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2011, 06:23 AM
Pat K
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2010
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Sadly, I have found that some RX's are just not compatible with the cloverleaf. The Lawmate 1.2GHz is one of them. You might have another. It's time for you to build a 3 turn helical. Use the Hecker transformer to match it. Use a wooden dowel as the former. This will make for incredible performance.

-Alex
Hi Alex,
have you found out why some Rx do not work with the CL? Are also some Rx not working well with the Skew Planar or the Helical?
Pat
Papat is offline Find More Posts by Papat
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2011, 08:58 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
Pat,

The helical works with all receivers. It's the cloverleaf/SPW that causes the problems with certain RX units.

I know that it doesn't work with 1.2GHz Lawnmates (2.4 works ok) and 5.8GHz Airwaves modules. I have no idea why this is. It has to do with the receiver's processor... something I know even less about than the anatomy of a toad. I am working on an omni for these receivers. The rotational reactive antenna might be the answer - another invention I am designing... It might be a flop, though. time will tell.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Apr 01, 2011, 09:17 AM
Pat K
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2010
382 Posts
Thks Alex, I will stick to the helical at the Rx then. What do you recommend at Tx: a Cloverleaf or a Skew Planar (with a helical at the Rx)?
Pat
Papat is offline Find More Posts by Papat
Old Apr 01, 2011, 09:19 AM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,512 Posts
How and will these work with some tx'ers that only have a single wire antenna, such as my 1.3 100mw tx and my 5.8 100mw tx?? Thanks as always

BTW not sure if you read my post in the RV Micro Diversity, I built your board for the diversity and it works fabulous now. Thanks
mrfliboy is offline Find More Posts by mrfliboy
Old Apr 01, 2011, 12:47 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfliboy View Post
How and will these work with some tx'ers that only have a single wire antenna, such as my 1.3 100mw tx and my 5.8 100mw tx?? Thanks as always

BTW not sure if you read my post in the RV Micro Diversity, I built your board for the diversity and it works fabulous now. Thanks
The cloverleaf/SPW work with all tx units. It's only a few RX's that are a problem.

-Alex
Old Apr 01, 2011, 01:52 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
The cloverleaf/SPW work with all tx units. It's only a few RX's that are a problem.

-Alex
Excellent Thanks
mrfliboy is offline Find More Posts by mrfliboy
Old Apr 01, 2011, 11:30 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
This is probably a noob question, but would music wire work for bending the antenna? I have that sitting around in my workroom instead of getting migwelding wire.

Thanks,
-P.D.
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Apr 01, 2011, 11:38 PM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
825 Posts
If you use a little sand paper to rough it up so it will solder, it would work. The main problem is that soldering to music wire adds to the complexity. Gold, silver, brass, or copper all solder much better than bare steel, and make the delicate job of getting everything right that much easier. Also, rust can be a problem.
lupy is offline Find More Posts by lupy
Old Apr 02, 2011, 01:29 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
steel solders fine provided you treat it like welding aluminum. knock off it's oxidation layer with a stainless steel brush or emory paper & wipe with acetone to clean. do not handle it with your bare hands once clean.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Apr 02, 2011, 01:30 PM
UK, Redcar and Cleveland, Redcar
Joined Feb 2010
297 Posts
\i`ve just been out with my 2.4ghz RHCP cloverleaf and had a mixed experiance.

On the two Yagi antennas, reception was amazing, not a single bit of interference or drop out. This would indicate all is great.

I have a patch antenna though with unknown polarity, in close proximity the picture was fine, at around 300m the patch picture was almost gone.

Am i right in thinking the patch is LHCP and this is a normal result for a RHCP antenna to a LHCP receiver antenna so its just a case of making a second LHCP cloverleaf ?
Kf52t is offline Find More Posts by Kf52t
Old Apr 02, 2011, 02:30 PM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
USA, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2007
840 Posts
Alex-
I have a way to measure SWR. What things can I try to do to reduce SWR with the cloverleaf? Bend the wires around? Shorten some of the wires? What affects SWR?

-Tom
BloomingtonFPV is offline Find More Posts by BloomingtonFPV
Old Apr 02, 2011, 05:40 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
The beauty of the cloverleaf is that it is very wideband and not at all sensitive to small changes in geometry. However, extreme geometry changes will have some effect.

Lowering the take-off angle from the center element lowers the resonant frequency a bit.

Having the elements not 120 degrees apart will increase impedance.

-Alex
Old Apr 02, 2011, 07:17 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,220 Posts
Hey Alex.

I'm about to put your CP CloverLeaf antenna on my 900mhz Vidtx....its about 6" diameter....

Its mounted on a flying Wing!

Will the wind
affect the size of the CloverLeaf?
(distort the size of the CL since its a bit big).

thus affect the effectiveness of the antenna (polarization?).

p.s.
I know I can go 1.3ghz VidTx and the Diameter of the CL will be 4", but
I'm on 900mhz.
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Apr 02, 2011, 08:12 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
If you intend to go over 90mph, then you might have a problem. Otherwise you are fine.

-Alex
Old Apr 03, 2011, 02:20 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2006
1,285 Posts
here is my aerial antenna for the 1.2ghz and 5.8ghz..
just to be correct we are initially connecting pos. + and neg.- wire together...

thanks to Alex (IBCrazy)
barok is offline Find More Posts by barok