HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:56 PM
Joined Jun 2010
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddyg40 View Post
You summed it up pretty well. As long as you have two rights or two lefts, it'll work. What exactly are your issues?
Well, just poor reception in general, even inside a general park sized field. Say 300 yards.
daronj is offline Find More Posts by daronj
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:24 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daronj View Post
Well, just poor reception in general, even inside a general park sized field. Say 300 yards.
You either must have done something wrong with your antenna build, or - sorry, it happens - your rx and tx are not on the same channel.

May we can see a picture of your antennas?

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:46 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
That is noise floor without a doubt. Something is on your channel. See the fuzz? That's external interference. Circular polarization is not going to fix that. You need a different location or frequency.

-Alex
ok this kind of makes me mad because now I have to make tuned antennas for a different frequency. What should I use?

chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:05 PM
Joined Jun 2010
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
You either must have done something wrong with your antenna build, or - sorry, it happens - your rx and tx are not on the same channel.

May we can see a picture of your antennas?

Markus
Must be something wrong with the build. I verified the tx and rx channels.
daronj is offline Find More Posts by daronj
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:13 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
ok this kind of makes me mad because now I have to make tuned antennas for a different frequency. What should I use?

None of those will do. 3 of them are illegal and one of them has a really high noise floor. Time to switch to 1.3 or 5.8GHz.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:29 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
ok wow... I went out this morning and it was complete garbage. I think it's because I was parked next to a 7 story building. I think the RF was reflecting off the building and was causing really bad multipathing.

So note that any structures near you really do make a difference!!! I'll look for a new place to fly that's far away from any buildings.

Skip to 3 minutes and you can see that my range is exactly the distance of my receiver to the building.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taXy6cBpHtk

I chose that spot because the sun was in my eyes. Normally I go out in the evening but I wanted to try out my new firmware on the OSD ASAP
you are transmitting on an aircraft navigation beacon band. Who would have thought, they would transmit on a frequency approved for their use
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
I'll try them all then lol. Starting with 1010MHz.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:38 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
you'll prolly get shot out of each buddy. I personally would switch back to 910mhz, your CL is prolly wideband enough to work well at this freq, and drive a bit further away from the airport for a flying site.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts

New flying location. I'll be throwing it off the top portion of that boathouse.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:00 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
FPV is more fun when you go new places anyway, atleast IMHO.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:21 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
you are transmitting on an aircraft navigation beacon band. Who would have thought, they would transmit on a frequency approved for their use
And to be fair, those were never really tuned antennas for 1040. They were just antennas built really to 1040 specs. Tuning requires equipment that I (and I'm assuming you) don't have.

I agree with gundamnitpete, though. FPV is about the adventure for me. I've seen a bunch of your videos and they all appear to be of the same field. Get out and explore a bit. A new location give you stuff to check out and different places to fly to.

Oh, and I understand that some people do transmit on illegal channels. Is it the right thing to do? Prolly not. But it certainly irks me when they complain about getting noise and interference from the things that are allowed to use that channel! You're not supposed to be transmitting on that to begin with.
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:38 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
939 Posts
I've had this post bookmarked for about 6 months now and finally got around to modding my FatShark Aviators. I just wanted to let you know that the exact same resistor exists in the aviators and, if you remove it, the goggles work fantastic with the Skew Planar (SP) antenna. Thanks Sanders. Before this mod.. I would see a black screen (instead of the normal static) as soon as my SP touched the SMA connector. See my modded Fatshark Goggles photo below.

Another question I had that I couldn't find the answer to is.. will the Goggles still work with the old rubber ducky after the mod is done or will I have to use SP/CL going forward. The good news is that I can still use the OEM rubber duckys. I don't know if range was impacted.. If it was, it's not too significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaassie View Post
I have no doubt about the skills and knowledge of Alex, and I used to believe him on his words, but on this case I experienced that he got it wrong!

I have an 5.8Ghz Airwave video-Rx which I planned to use with a CL/SPW combo.
Yesterday I wired everything up, but ended up with the conclusion that this Airwave receiver doesn't like CL/SPW antennas. The receiver worked fine with standard whip-antenna or even (in close range) without antenna, but when I attached a cloverleaf (made by Alex) the reception was totally gone!
I recently lost a plane, using Foxtech 5.8Ghz with standard whip antennas, and since I don't dare to fly with this type of antennas on 5.8Ghz anymore. So I desperately want the CL/SPW antennas working on my Video-Tx/Rx!

Thanks to Sander (SSassen) who came with a workaround, I got it working now! The only thing I had to do is to remove a little SMD-resistor from the Airwave module. Apparantly the antenna-connection of this module is DC-powered, to feed an LNA. Because an CL/SPW antenna is a short for DC-power this type of antennas doesn't work on this Airwave module.
But (luckily!) the circuit for DC-powering the antenne can easily be interrupted by removing a particular SMD-resistor!
Sander pointed this out for me, and in a few minutes I got this working! Thanks to "his royal sassiness"!

Maybe this isue is worth to be noted in the startpost?

The pictures show which component has to be removed:

Removed:

Working now:
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
Last edited by Kerbob; Nov 21, 2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbob View Post
I've had this post bookmarked for about 6 months now and finally got around to modding my FatShark Aviators. I just wanted to let you know that the exact same resistor exists in the aviators and, if you remove it, the goggles work fantastic with the Skew Planar (SP) antenna. Thanks Sanders. Before this mod.. I would see a black screen (instead of the normal static) as soon as my SP touched the SMA connector. See my modded Fatshark Goggles photo below.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Receiver_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_600mw_.html

^^ is that your setup? I am looking to switch from 200mW 900MHz to 5.8GHz. Would you recommend getting it from hobbyking or is there a better quality tx for the same price or less?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:01 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Receiver_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_600mw_.html

^^ is that your setup? I am looking to switch from 200mW 900MHz to 5.8GHz. Would you recommend getting it from hobbyking or is there a better quality tx for the same price or less?
if you have the 12channel RX with a digital display, it would work for 1280mhz.

1280 uses the same connector as your current 900mhz setup. All you gotta do is pull the plug out of your 900mhz TX, and pop it into a 1280TX.

easy frequency change
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:26 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
So you think 1280 is better? I'm already on 1040. I thought 5.8GHz would be best.

Cularis FPV 4000 Feet! (8 min 31 sec)

After watching that I'd like a higher power setup since he got that far away on a 72MHz setup. He did have 1300@300mW for that with a patch antenna though

When people say 1.3GHz do they really mean 1280MHz or are there separate 1.3GHz Tx that I have not seen?