SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:13 AM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
1,038 Posts
I had that same prob. Kinda funny plug. Ibcrazy has them. $12 shipped save u some head ache
RUBNorris is offline Find More Posts by RUBNorris
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:28 AM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBNorris View Post
I had that same prob. Kinda funny plug. Ibcrazy has them. $12 shipped save u some head ache
Is it $12 shipped per adapter, I need 2.
Price must be higher to customers overseas.

Do you confirm this is the correct adapter, it's called RP SMA male / SMA female.

http://online.infracom-france.com/ad...a-femelle.html
lrrps is offline Find More Posts by lrrps
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:39 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrrps View Post
Is it $12 shipped per adapter, I need 2.
Price must be higher to customers overseas.

Do you confirm this is the correct adapter, it's called RP SMA male / SMA female.

http://online.infracom-france.com/ad...a-femelle.html
It's an a bit unfortunate situation on 5.8Ghz as the so popular sky-rf based products come with SMA-RP where as most other products - especially on the other frequeny bands - use SMA. Personally I always ask people who order antennas from me what kind of transmitter/recivers they use to make sure the connectors they have match the antennas.

I'm obviousely not IBCrazy, but in an attempt to help him out (we all owe him something I think) and to avoid the dissadvantage of using adaptors, I offer you to send you a pair of CP/SPW antennas for your frequency of choice with the propper connectors for the pure shipping costs. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Markus
markus123456 is online now Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:56 AM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
Markus, thank you for the offer, PM sent.
lrrps is offline Find More Posts by lrrps
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:00 AM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
1,038 Posts
For 2 it's 12 bucks to your door
RUBNorris is offline Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old Nov 13, 2011, 02:47 PM
Joined Jan 2010
373 Posts
Hya,

I've got a pair of IBCrazy blue beams (cloverlead and skew planar) and love them.

Yesterday I had a very nasty nose dive crash and my antenna got a bit deformed. So, a few questions...

- You can see how the antenna has been deformed in the photos... is it OK to just approximately bend it back to about what its meant to be or does this need to be pretty accurate? It also seems that a bit of silver wire has been exposed (cycled in red) - issue?
- Also, the metal bits (the actual antenna) has been rusty since I got it (I rub a tissue on it and rust come out). I bought it from readymaderc... will this cause issues and is there anything I can do to protect them?
- Finally, if I can't really use this one any more, can I used the 4-lobe one (as I'm using a CP patch on the ground)

Thanks!
Protocrash is offline Find More Posts by Protocrash
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:05 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newandaddicted View Post
Hya,

I've got a pair of IBCrazy blue beams (cloverlead and skew planar) and love them.

Yesterday I had a very nasty nose dive crash and my antenna got a bit deformed. So, a few questions...

- You can see how the antenna has been deformed in the photos... is it OK to just approximately bend it back to about what its meant to be or does this need to be pretty accurate? It also seems that a bit of silver wire has been exposed (cycled in red) - issue?
- Also, the metal bits (the actual antenna) has been rusty since I got it (I rub a tissue on it and rust come out). I bought it from readymaderc... will this cause issues and is there anything I can do to protect them?
- Finally, if I can't really use this one any more, can I used the 4-lobe one (as I'm using a CP patch on the ground)

Thanks!
You can bend it back but by all means make a SERIOUS range test on the ground. If it works to the distance you intend to fly, it's ok. Otherwise it's not. That simple. The exposure of the ground mesh of the cable could be a serious problem. The antenna lobes being bent IS a problem. Wether you get it right or not is in a sense a matter of luck. If you get it almost right, it will work to some degree. Wether it's better than before or worse depends on how well the antenna was tuned and how well it ends up being tuned after you bend it. Chances that you bend it such that it is perfect are similar like winning the lottery. Not impossible, but not too likely. However, an untuned or not so well tuned antenna also works to some degree and this degree might be good enough for your personal flying style/needs. That's where the range test comes in.

Rust should not matter. Removing it may matters as chances are high you bend the wires. Depending on the frequency you operate on, bending a wire by a half milimeter in any direction can make a huge difference. The lower the frequency you operate on, the less critical this gets though.

You can use the four lobe (its called a skew planar wheel btw.). However, so far people report less range when using SPW antennas on the transmitter side. If this is true in your case or not again depends on the quality regarding the tuning of the very antenna you intend to use. So a genreal statement is difficult. But there is nothing wrong with trying as long as you verify with a ground range test that the range is good enough for how far you intend to fly out.

Markus

[EDIT] ,based on your second picture, your antennas are made for 2.4Ghz. So tolerances are a wee bit relaxed. Just try to bend it and make a ground range test to see if it works good enough for you[/EDIT]
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:39 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
I'm going to attempt another antenna build. Maybe I'll get it right this time :/. Where should I position the vrx antenna? Is on top of my car ok?
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:23 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
I'm going to attempt another antenna build. Maybe I'll get it right this time :/. Where should I position the vrx antenna? Is on top of my car ok?
I think thats ok if you make sure to have some distance from the roof of the car. I would mount it at least 3 feet above the roof.

Markus
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:41 AM
aka Nigel Uno
Italia, Lazio, Monterotondo
Joined Sep 2004
363 Posts
11.5km / 7.2 miles with two Cloverleafs (tx&rx)

@ 10.75km the image was ok
Name: 10750.jpg
Views: 102
Size: 43.4 KB
Description:
@ 11.20km the image was still usable
Name: 11200.jpg
Views: 103
Size: 69.1 KB
Description:

@ 11.50 the image was not usable

Setup:

vTx 1.2GHz 1500mW Sunsky with Cloverleaf

vRx 1.2GHz Sunsky with Cloverleaf

I think we can further optimize the setup to gain some more db (I think about 3 to 5 db) using better cables and connectors, using a Lawmate rx and so on.
gtrick90 is offline Find More Posts by gtrick90
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:41 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,352 Posts
^ You beat my Omni record of 5 miles! Nice going. I think you now hold the Omni antenna World record. My hat is off to you

Did you build the antennas yourself or get them from a vendor?

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:05 AM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
^ You beat my Omni record of 5 miles! Nice going. I think you now hold the Omni antenna World record. My hat is off to you

-Alex
My home made cloverleafs barely make it to 1.5miles. I'm using a 400mw 1.2Ghz, this is not normal right?

4 turn Helical + clover leaf shows degrading at 3 miles as well.
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:18 AM
aka Nigel Uno
Italia, Lazio, Monterotondo
Joined Sep 2004
363 Posts
Quote:

-Alex
WoW!!!

Thank you very much for your congratulations!!!

The antennas are self-made by me.

Ciao
gtrick90 is offline Find More Posts by gtrick90
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:02 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim_io View Post
My home made cloverleafs barely make it to 1.5miles. I'm using a 400mw 1.2Ghz, this is not normal right?

4 turn Helical + clover leaf shows degrading at 3 miles as well.
That's plenty normal. Long range on omnis has a lot to do with RF conditions. I usually make it about 2-3 miles before I get grainy image. I'm in the middle of nowhere though.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:09 AM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
Quote:
That's plenty normal. Long range on omnis has a lot to do with RF conditions. I usually make it about 2-3 miles before I get grainy image. I'm in the middle of nowhere though.

-Alex
Yup that makes a lot of sense. I fly around a well dense populated area. I feel as if your well tuned IBcrazy dipole and tuned patch got more range 3 miles and still no sign of degradation. My question; is vertical/horizontal polarization better for long range on an high RF noise area than circular? I imagine a circular receiver looks at all kinds of RF reflections rather than a strict vertical polarization setup.
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io