SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 04, 2011, 03:52 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Jack, when using a helical there are only two rules that MUST be followed precisely in order for the helical to work effectively.

Rule #1: Aim

Rule #2: Fly

That's it. Put it in the air or the ground. Your choice so long as the Fresnel zone is clear.

-Alex
Thank you much Alex.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2011, 08:47 PM
Zebro
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Sep 2007
161 Posts
Hi everybody, I just built my first cloverleaf for 2.4 ghz thank you alex for your incredible tutorial, everything went well and i am very happy with the build.

Now my question: I saw on the site http://videoaerialsystems.com the antenna pair... a cloverleaf for tx a one with 4 lobes for the rx...

I am about to build the antenna for the rx and wonder if i should build the 4 lobes one?
will i see a big difference compared to the cloverleaf?

Thank you !
yanickr1973 is offline Find More Posts by yanickr1973
Old Nov 05, 2011, 12:14 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanickr1973 View Post
Hi everybody, I just built my first cloverleaf for 2.4 ghz thank you alex for your incredible tutorial, everything went well and i am very happy with the build.

Now my question: I saw on the site http://videoaerialsystems.com the antenna pair... a cloverleaf for tx a
one with 4 lobes (Skewed Planar wheel) for the rx...

I am about to build the antenna for the rx and wonder if i should build the 4 lobes one?

Thank you !
Skewed Planar Wheel is a great antenna for the Rx
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:12 AM
Ikaruswannab
Joined Sep 2009
969 Posts
Does a cloverleaf qualify for RC receiver antenna???
teopbako is offline Find More Posts by teopbako
Old Nov 06, 2011, 01:48 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Sure Many people will suggest using a Skew-wheel but I've been using a cloverleaf with great results.
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:21 AM
Zebro
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Sep 2007
161 Posts
I builded a cloverleaf and a skew planar for 2.4ghz

My 2.4 system is in the mail so i tested them on 900mhz inside the house and i got a good picture so at least i know they are working

I have a concern ...my brother read somewhere that cp antennas kill long range systems...

is that true?

I fly using a Rmilec LRS (400-470 mhz)

Will I affect my range with a cloverleaf on my video tx?

Thank's
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:40 AM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Quote:

My 2.4 system is in the mail so i tested them on 900mhz inside the house and i got a good picture so at least i know they are working

I have a concern ...my brother read somewhere that cp antennas kill long range systems...

is that true?

Thank's
Testing your 2.4 antennas on 900 doesn't really show anything about their performance, but I guess it does show that they work. I'm so paranoid about burning a $75 VTx that I never plug in anything that doesn't belong there

The range killing thing is something I've never really heard before- and I think that it's a bit unfounded. If everything checked out okay with your LP antennas, everything should be fine with your CP antennas. The antennas shouldn't make a difference.
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Nov 07, 2011, 06:50 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,819 Posts
Quote:

is that true?

Thank's
It's my impression that after the "first shock" people now start to talk about CP antennas which probably should not do so. Unfortunately everybody in forums can post whatever he/she likes. A badly tuned antenna can disturb other systems but this holds true for cirular polarized antennas as well as linear antennas. Especially the so widespread used whip antennas are more than often of very bad quality easily leading to such side effects. So as a general statement what your brother read is plain and simply wrong.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Nov 07, 2011, 07:21 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teopbako View Post
Does a cloverleaf qualify for RC receiver antenna???
I use it as an RX antenna from time to time. It works fine.

_Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2011, 07:22 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,350 Posts
Quote:

Now my question: I saw on the site http://videoaerialsystems.com the antenna pair... a cloverleaf for tx a one with 4 lobes for the rx...

Thank you !
For 2.4 GHz you will see some difference. Not much, but the 4 lobe is certainly better. That's the reason I sell them as a paired set.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:45 AM
Zebro
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Sep 2007
161 Posts
Right now i always fly within a range of less than 2km
So should i stay with only one rx fitted with the skew plannar
Or would there be an advantage to build a diversity for such short range?

Thanks
Last edited by yanickr1973; Nov 08, 2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 06:17 AM
Stevenage, Hertfordshire
Joined Dec 2007
93 Posts
800mW 5.8GHz Transmitter Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysport View Post
Great topic, everything looks clear and understandable even to me

Been working my way through this topic today, but with this topic in mind and Alex's website i got a little confused.

I use my twinstar mostly above water and am fairly new to FPV flying. I quickly got out of range with my kit (5.8ghz Fatshark kit, 100mw transmitter, also got an 800mw but it performed worse than the 100mw so i'm guessing it's faulty) so want to build/buy CL and/or SPW / Helical antenna.

What would now be my best option/combo? I was thinking of building the CL's for my RX and TX, but on Alex's site it's mentioned it's better to use a helical for the RX? And on this forum CL on the TX and SPW on the RX are advised... So i'm not sure now what to build/buy.

Thanks in advance for you help guys! and Kudo's to alex for writing this up!
Hi Scoobysport here's a link to the manual for your 800mW TX

http://www.electronicarc.es/AVTX58v1.0.pdf
Hope this helps

Steve
HeliEye is offline Find More Posts by HeliEye
Old Nov 08, 2011, 08:47 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,350 Posts
Quote:
Right now i always fly within a range of less than 2km
So should i stay with only one rx fitted with the skew plannar
Or would there be an advantage to build a diversity for such short range?

Thanks
This is strictly your call. Nobody can tell you what you need except you. Without knowing the environment, type of flying, noise floor, ect, we can't even begin to guess. If what you have works, why change?

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2011, 07:19 PM
Zebro
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Sep 2007
161 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions

right now i don't have a setup that works so my questions are to try to have a set up that will give me the best chances of success

recently i lost a plane that was working perfectly using 900mhz video and a Rmilec LRS

I bought everything back and now it seems nothing want's to work well

good thing is i have my brother living 2 streets from me who fly FPV too so we have pretty much everything in double quantity so this helps a lot for troubleshooting

After much troubleshooting i think i found the culprit...my LRH system. what i find strange is that i changed nothing on the rc tx side...but now my rmilec affects my video reception to the point that it is impossible to fly, i have reception on the ground but as soon as i take off i loose reception. i tryed my new hobbycrap 900 mhz and my brother's 1.3ghz systems and it is the same with both. I ruled out the plane as the problem because i have this problem even with the camera and video tx out of the plane.
took me a while to figure out because i had absolutely no issues before with my rmilec

now i ordered a 2.4ghz (should be here tomorrow according to tracking) i also ordered a low pass filter to put on the rmilec to see if this will help.

my googles are cheap google made by my brother from videogame googles(trimmersion i think?)...anyway now they are unusable as soon as i power on my rc tx so i ordered fatsharks base edition.

so thats it...for now i am mostly fed up with this but trying to see the positive: when done i will know my system inside-out and knowledge is always a good thing !

sorry for my english...hope you understand me

Thank's again!
Old Nov 10, 2011, 07:08 AM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
I just received my 5.8Ghz VTX and VRX, they both have a male connector, as the antennaes I bought from Alex also have male connectors, the only thing to do is to install a female/female adapter between the antenna and the TX or RX, do you confirm that there won't be any loss if I go this way?
Where to buy these adapter?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
lrrps is offline Find More Posts by lrrps