HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:16 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Diversity is cheaper, and more simple. Diversity is more portable. Diversity is easier to build in the first place. Trackers are cooler.

If I had unlimited funds and all the time in the world, I'd buy both. On my budget, I'm forced into diversity
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:35 PM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
1,038 Posts
has anyone looked at this and tested it? $13 seems kinda cheap?

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/58g-11dbi-...nna-p-369.html
RUBNorris is offline Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Last edited by RUBNorris; Oct 27, 2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: forgot link
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:32 AM
Nek
DIY O.G.
French Polynesia, Windward Islands, Faaa
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
I had my first couple of FPV flights and this was the first try going for some distance, around 500m. I don't think I would have done it without the CL/SPW design! Thanks IBCrazy and everyone else helping daily in this thread!!!

Enjoy the colors!

FPV in Tahiti redux (3 min 53 sec)

(HD is being converted by vimeo right now I think...)
Nek is offline Find More Posts by Nek
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:48 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBNorris View Post
has anyone looked at this and tested it? $13 seems kinda cheap?

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/58g-11dbi-...nna-p-369.html
These are linear polarized patches. Not more, not less. I have some of them lying around collecting dust..... They work ok, but linear polarized.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:51 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nek View Post
I had my first couple of FPV flights and this was the first try going for some distance, around 500m. I don't think I would have done it without the CL/SPW design! Thanks IBCrazy and everyone else helping daily in this thread!!!

Enjoy the colors!

Winter is coming here. Cold, dark, foggy. I'm getting jealous! Nice video!

Markus
Old Oct 28, 2011, 02:29 AM
Nek
DIY O.G.
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Thanks markus!

When I reached the reef I was about 500m out and started getting static lines filling up almost the whole screen for maybe a second or two at the most.

I did a test the other day where I reached 600+m and had perfectly clear image. This was on the ground near a highway.

Could it be that if I kept going or moved around I could have gotten better reception or it can only get worse? Did not want to risk it and slowly turned around then gassed it haha
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:15 AM
Pilot
Deutschland, RP, Winningen
Joined Oct 2010
32 Posts
Could there be some signal interference? Some WX radar and MLS are interfering with the 5 GHz band. Microwave radio relay can also be quite nasty.
Your video TX may in turn be nasty to them, something to consider carefully Have you tried an other location, how is distance to airport? There may be a radio link between the airport and Moorea-Temae.
Ai77 is offline Find More Posts by Ai77
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:25 AM
Joined Oct 2006
361 Posts
Quote:

Enjoy the colors!

http://vimeo.com/31238530

What's the nearest airport at your place? I need to book a flight...
hartwig is offline Find More Posts by hartwig
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:28 AM
Joined Oct 2006
361 Posts
Quote:
Thanks markus!

When I reached the reef I was about 500m out and started getting static lines filling up almost the whole screen for maybe a second or two at the most.

I did a test the other day where I reached 600+m and had perfectly clear image. This was on the ground near a highway.

Could it be that if I kept going or moved around I could have gotten better reception or it can only get worse? Did not want to risk it and slowly turned around then gassed it haha
I vote for interference with another TX in your band. I have the same thing at 400m distance in a certain place, and in the same flight I was able to fly >3km at only 20m AGL, on a flat surface.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:34 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,436 Posts
I have found a lot more interference flying over water. Lower = worse
Appreciate CP bounces into opposite polarisation, but it still causes a degree of interference..

Very nearly cost me a plane last time. But it was 4k out and low... LOL

Quote:
Thanks markus!

Shikra is online now Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Oct 28, 2011, 04:06 AM
Nek
DIY O.G.
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai77 View Post
Could there be some signal interference? Some WX radar and MLS are interfering with the 5 GHz band. Microwave radio relay can also be quite nasty.
Your video TX may in turn be nasty to them, something to consider carefully Have you tried an other location, how is distance to airport? There may be a radio link between the airport and Moorea-Temae.
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

I really have very little experience with FPV and this was my first flight out of the 200m range. I will try again tomorrow in a different direction and at different altitudes to see how it all impacts it. I need to build confidence flying over the lagoon and ocean

The airport was about 10Km away north, and if anything is emitting towards Moorea it would be pointing W/NW from the airport. FAA'A is the international airport.

I doubt my bandwidth is used by anything serious since it is open for WiMax purposes. I could be close to a private point to point wimax when flying over that spot.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 04:53 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Thanks markus!

If you fly 5.8G, it's not uncommon to have like zones of interference which ocure in intervals starting out at around 600m to 1km. What I'm trying to say is if the interference is some graininess, maybe some light snow. CAREFULLY try to fly further. If you experience what I mean, it will revert to clear after that "Zone". The next one will be about 200 to 300 meters further out, and this will repeat several times up until the point where it becomes unflyable. Where that spot is depends on where you fly, the concrete quality of your antennas and many other factors. Note, you can't hold me responsible based on just what you said that flying further out will not lead to you loosing your model or such. I'm just reflecting my experience. What I did initially is to place a buddy with another transmitter at around that distance which could identify the plane and would have been able to take over control. Needless to say that this requieres some old fashioned RC link as the newer systems can't do this.

HTH

Markus
Old Oct 28, 2011, 07:37 AM
Joined Oct 2006
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
I...What I did initially is to place a buddy with another transmitter at around that distance which could identify the plane and would have been able to take over control. Needless to say that this requieres some old fashioned RC link as the newer systems can't do this...
btw, the EzUHF can do this
Old Oct 28, 2011, 07:50 AM
Tiel, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2007
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
What I did initially is to place a buddy with another transmitter at around that distance which could identify the plane and would have been able to take over control.

HTH

Markus
Did the same here. Only I switched to ch 282 (35.220) (synth Tx) highest channel alowed outhere but got no spare 282 Tx cristal for my other transmitter :S So Now only hoping it will pick up.

Tomorrow I will try 2000m. Probably with Helical and CL and 600mW.
If my RC will hold it...
TurboCinqy is offline Find More Posts by TurboCinqy
Old Oct 28, 2011, 07:50 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartwig View Post
btw, the EzUHF can do this
Basically every system should be able to do this by letting the user changeing the id. Good to know though. The problem with EzUHF is that it seems to be very hard to find it in stock somewhere. At least at the time I was ready to buy a LRS system, I could not locate any dealer carrying in stock.

Markus