SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2011, 04:58 PM
England
Joined Feb 2011
51 Posts
Question
Custom Quad Frame Design

I'm currently designing a custom frame for my 1st quad and I've got a few questions.

First, here are the pics:

The arms will be made out of Square Tube Aluminium that is 12.5mm x 12.5mm x 1.6mm. The central hub will be made from either milled/cast aluminium or printed on a 3d printer depending on strength.

I have left a 1mm gap around the arms where they mount to the hub for thin rubber sheeting, this should help reduce vibrations and as far as I can tell that's a good thing! Is it needed though?

Has anyone got experience of making parts by printing them on a 3d printer? The one I'll be using is a Z Corp 310 Plus but I'm not sure of the material they have at the moment.

Is a 432mm motor to motor span adequate? I was working on the idea of using 9x4 props and this gives me the required additional space but I'm not sure.

I'd also love advice on a cheap motor/esc/prop combination that would be good for a newbie on a budget
EyeFellOver is offline Find More Posts by EyeFellOver
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:25 AM
Joined Jan 2009
59 Posts
Consider the HobbyKing 12A BlueSeries ESC, 2205C motor, and APC 8x3.8 props. Expecting ~350g thrust per motor. More importantly, actually in stock.
reph is offline Find More Posts by reph
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:49 AM
United Kingdom, England, Weston-super-Mare
Joined Jul 2010
478 Posts
I wouldn't use rubber between the arms and the fuselage. Although I can't speak from experience, I believe it will harm performance. It may well (help) reduce vibration, but you don't want a flexible airframe. Quite the opposite: you want the entire airframe to be as rigid as possible.
jes1111 is offline Find More Posts by jes1111
Old Feb 14, 2011, 04:15 PM
England
Joined Feb 2011
51 Posts
Thanks guys. Jes, that makes a lot of sense! Now I think the vibration reduction would be better localised to the Gyros rather than the whole central hub.

Reph, those parts look good! Have you got a link to the props because I can't seem to find them.

Does the overall thrust multiply exactly or is there a reduction as you add more motors? I.e.

4 motors x 350g = 1400g of total thrust?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 04:23 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1 Posts
hello

these plate's are for sale at ebay.de (Mikrokopter Quadrokopter X-Ufo Alu Rahmen Set)
perhaps you can find more info there.

martin
maidenlnnium is offline Find More Posts by maidenlnnium
Old Feb 15, 2011, 04:25 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,943 Posts
Hmm looks like a solution in need of a problem, but I am in no way knocking your design ability. Looks great hopefully it will offer the improvement you are seeking.
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:22 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maidenlnnium View Post
hello

these plate's are for sale at ebay.de (Mikrokopter Quadrokopter X-Ufo Alu Rahmen Set)
perhaps you can find more info there.

martin
Yep, I have one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Mikrokopter-Quadr...item45f8b6da56
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:14 AM
England
Joined Feb 2011
51 Posts
Thanks guys.

That was actually the frame design I was copying, I wanted to order one but Google Translate makes a right mess of the eBay page so I couldn't really understand what I'd be getting! Do you get the cross plates, the end pieces, and the power distribution board?

Can I order from the guy on here to save translating german ebay?!

Also, is this a good frame to use with the Wartox board?

Cheers!