HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:24 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Discussion
Lifting body pusher

Almost done with development and paint will be next. This is a Guillows X-Racer, about $10 at my LHS. The wingspan is about 18 and weighs @ 4 ounces before gear install, 7.5 ounces at the moment, so I figure a total of 8 ounces AUW when finished.

Joe
redlite is offline Find More Posts by redlite
Last edited by redlite; Feb 13, 2011 at 07:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:03 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Wow! That ought to be fun. I like the way you've set it up - have you mixed in spoilerons?
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:26 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
@Z...elevons with a whale-tail mixed with the elevator side... lifting body/deltas are roll sensitive and pitch poor so small elevons and an extra elevator help. Did the same set-up our SR-71 which gave it more control authority than the stock version. Will maiden this weekend and post results.

I went to the bone pile and scabbed the elevators of an F-4 for the elevons and the whale-tail is from a P-38 elevator...they still live on!

Joe
Last edited by redlite; Feb 11, 2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:39 AM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Joe, congrats on the maiden. I'm guessing that little 7gr motor might not be up to the task and sustained efficiency. I'm going to pass a ten gram motor on to Ben for you to try out. Should give you a little more head room while staying on 2s.

Heres a link to the motor:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7338
ToxicToast is offline Find More Posts by ToxicToast
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:10 PM
Faster!
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Oct 2004
1,139 Posts
How cool is that!? I love the idea of a lifting body, and what a great way to learn and experiment with one that so cheap and simple. It would be great to see a full flight video!

-Joshua
Joshua Wesley is offline Find More Posts by Joshua Wesley
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:26 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Thanks TT, I'll pick that up from ben, install so next good weather day we'll see the results...

We have video of maiden, courtesy ToxicToast and it went well due to Bighead at the sticks, but I have to figure out the upload a 60+ MB vid on a 50MB limit...the smaller flight control test video is on the 'video gallery'. It's titled 'lifting body pusher maiden'.

Joe
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:56 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,772 Posts
cool project!!!!!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Feb 13, 2011, 06:33 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
OK, used vimeo for video, thanks ATIS for suggestion. Small camera set on vid is why the image quality is rough...but you can see that the plane was a bit rough out the gate, but Bighead stayed with it and tamed her in one circut...thanks ToxicToast for good job keeping the itybity bird in the field of view...this thing also taxi's like a Vette due to the dual nosewheel...enjoy...

Lifting Body Pusher Flight (4 min 4 sec)
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:13 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
@herk1...I measured the CG at 2.75 in. back from the front edge of the dual oval finger slots...came up with this spot when testing the plane in glider mode before I laid a knife on it. Seems to work fine. The control surfaces are just right, based on our SR-71 set-up. Expo set at a whopping 75%. Again, this seemed fine. Took two tries to break gravity. The 7 gram motor is coming out and a hot 10 grammer is going in...can't wait for second attempt...will get a better feel for the CG...now I can paint this thing.

Joe
Last edited by redlite; Feb 13, 2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:20 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,694 Posts
Great to finally see a video of one of these flying, and flying pretty decently from the looks of it. I may have to do my X-racer conversion after all. Thanks for sharing.

Edit: thanks for the feedback on the setup. I was going to do similar control surfaces, but with one servo driving the two left control surfaces via two pushrods, and one servo driving the two right ones. Maybe I'll try to make that kind of bellcrank elevator linkage that you did instead.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:40 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
redlite, she looks fun! Happy vimeo worked out for you. I look forward to seeing her progress as you fine tune her!
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:39 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,772 Posts
flew pretty good! great.....now i have ot try one!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:16 PM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Sorry about that CN...my heart bleeds lithium infused JP4...in the above video is a second one imbedded, at the very end of the main video...it shows flight control test...first were just the elevons, then a switch was flipped to activate the whale tail...place mouse on said square and enjoy...

Joe
Last edited by redlite; Feb 13, 2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:29 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
Right on Joe, right on. Good bash. You have a knack for the cool mods. Happy flying.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Feb 14, 2011, 01:34 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,051 Posts
Now you need to dress it up in Edwards test scheme like the HL-10 and M2-F2 from Six Million Dollar Man!

Suggestion: takeoff may be easier if the front gear is longer so the plane has positive incidence on the level ground.
Aten W Arthog is offline Find More Posts by Aten W Arthog