SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:12 AM
South East Texas
Joined Nov 2010
182 Posts
Discussion
Testing Gyros on the flying wing...

I just did a test on the small flying wing… I put a gyro on the right ailevon to
control pitch and one on the left ailevon to control roll…. I had no idea what it
was going to do but hoped it would work…. Well it did work and it worked
better than I expected… The thing is rock steady…..

mamcrackin is offline Find More Posts by mamcrackin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:53 PM
Molon Labe
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
Thats interesting because as the elevator gyro would attempt to correct for pitch, it would start to roll the wing because it is only acting on one of the ailerons. The other gyro (aileron gyro) would then see this roll change, and try to stop it, effectively moving that surface in the same direction as the other, correcting for the original pitch change. (and the same works for when the wing would try to roll. The roll gyro would start to correct, pitch the wing, and the other gyro would correct for that pitch change, effectively adding aileron input...)

I never thought of this before, but it could be a good way of using gyros on a wing.

Good work
BpPilot is offline Find More Posts by BpPilot
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:03 PM
South East Texas
Joined Nov 2010
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpPilot View Post
Thats interesting because as the elevator gyro would attempt to correct for pitch, it would start to roll the wing because it is only acting on one of the ailerons. The other gyro (aileron gyro) would then see this roll change, and try to stop it, effectively moving that surface in the same direction as the other, correcting for the original pitch change. (and the same works for when the wing would try to roll. The roll gyro would start to correct, pitch the wing, and the other gyro would correct for that pitch change, effectively adding aileron input...)

I never thought of this before, but it could be a good way of using gyros on a wing.

Good work
Exactly.... I haven't completely thought it out but, I think you HAVE to
have 2 gyros for it to work....I am not sure if it would work with just one
gyro on one side.... I think it would cause problems...
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:24 PM
Molon Labe
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Feb 2008
644 Posts
You would have to use a mixer if u wanted to use just one gyro. If u just wanted to have a pitch gyro, you would put the gyro between the rx and the mixer. When the wing started to change pitch, the gyro would correct and override the rx signal to the servo, or mixer in this case.

The way that you did it is the only way that i have ever seen that would not require a mixer.
BpPilot is offline Find More Posts by BpPilot
Old Feb 12, 2011, 03:03 PM
South East Texas
Joined Nov 2010
182 Posts
Agreed
Old Feb 12, 2011, 06:22 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
Now as you guys have explained how it does it, I can understand all this..can we have a vid of the action by any chance ?

Or, inaction as it probably is
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:58 AM
South East Texas
Joined Nov 2010
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider2732 View Post
Now as you guys have explained how it does it, I can understand all this..can we have a vid of the action by any chance ?

Or, inaction as it probably is
Are you looking for action in flight or just in general?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:50 PM
Waiting for the paint to dry.
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
+1
my project could use some of your testing vid if you can.
it look like a vary good idea!
T
ctrout is offline Find More Posts by ctrout
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:29 AM
Will work for foam
United States, WI, Muskego
Joined Apr 2005
1,502 Posts
mamcrackin - what a great idea. i would have never thought to try it that way. I am seriously considering putting gyros in my FPV wing and this looks too good to be true, but will use it if i can.

what i really want to know is there any wobble due to latency of the reactive gyro/servo? For instance when the pitch gyro/servo senses a pitch change and initiates a correction, there must be some lag before the other (reactive) gyro/servo compensates with its adjustment. Is it enough to be visable or is it truly rock steady?

i understand how it works (and obviously it does), but is it as good as having the two gyros feed a elevon/v-tail mixer then go to the servos?
wingnutt is offline Find More Posts by wingnutt
Last edited by wingnutt; Feb 15, 2011 at 07:32 AM. Reason: txt
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:02 AM
Blackfly
Joined Nov 2008
58 Posts
http://shop.fyetech.com/product_info...products_id=30

Gyros work just fine, but the FY stab systems are just dead simple, and cheaper than two gyros.
Blackfly is offline Find More Posts by Blackfly
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:02 AM
Will work for foam
Joined Apr 2005
1,502 Posts
Blackfly - I cannot currently view the link (nothing wrong, just local firewall). Are you talking about the OSD and stability system? How much does it cost? Gyros are $20 ea at hk.

Im going to set up a wing with this gyro setup in RealFlight and see how it works out.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:05 AM
South East Texas
Joined Nov 2010
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutt View Post
mamcrackin - what a great idea. i would have never thought to try it that way. I am seriously considering putting gyros in my FPV wing and this looks too good to be true, but will use it if i can.

what i really want to know is there any wobble due to latency of the reactive gyro/servo? For instance when the pitch gyro/servo senses a pitch change and initiates a correction, there must be some lag before the other (reactive) gyro/servo compensates with its adjustment. Is it enough to be visable or is it truly rock steady?

i understand how it works (and obviously it does), but is it as good as having the two gyros feed a elevon/v-tail mixer then go to the servos?
You are welcome.... I did more testing today by turning up the sensitivity
in the gyros and it caused a lot of waggle in the control surfaces.... I
turned the sensitivity back down and it is very smooth..... The faster you
fly, the lower you want to set the sensitivity.... I have mine set at about
1/8th turn from the minimum and there is no rocking or wobble that is
visible.... I do not have any external mixers so I can't do the comparison
you might be looking for.... I would imagine that if I set both gyros on the
same axis, it would then control either elevator or aileron throws but I
can't say that for a fact as I have not tried that configuration...
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:11 AM
Will work for foam
Joined Apr 2005
1,502 Posts
Great information! thanks again. I will see if I can capture the airspeed from my OSD/logger and use it to control the gyro sensitivities via a PIC or something. that way it will automatically increase sensitivity at low speed then reduce at higher speeds. would be nice to modulate the control input quantity as well so that it reduces the sensitivity when large control inputs are used (rolling or loops). FUN FUN stuff!!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:37 PM
USA, TX, Live Oak
Joined Oct 2002
684 Posts
Mamcracken:

I would like to know more about the gyros you are using, type, brand, cost, source.

Thanks!
ptglass is offline Find More Posts by ptglass
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:39 PM
USA, TX, Live Oak
Joined Oct 2002
684 Posts
Blackfly:

The device you link to looks really good, but they appear to be out of stock. Do you know any other place to purchase this device?
ptglass is offline Find More Posts by ptglass