HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:17 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trub View Post
Finally turned up today, no damage to box. Quite impressed with quality. Need to get some white no more nails to glue up the fuse I reckon. At last I can start my build
How did this no more nails glue work on the fuselage?
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:07 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
I posted to soon my servos arrived this afternoon via Vancouver Canada ,how in the heck did they get that mixed up
One thing I noticed they were not sent from Hobby King but from a Mr Yuheng Wu. but they were posted early and although I paid for registered airmail they were not registered just ordinary airmail.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Mar 26, 2011, 07:11 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
Because I wanted to use a Y lead for the flaps I had to carve out a servo pocket in one of the wings and flip a servo over,makes things easier as I found when I did a funcub the same way,the old pocket I fill with some scrap epp and gorilla.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 02:28 PM
Sverige, Västra Götalands Län, Trollhättan
Joined Oct 2006
393 Posts
I have been following this thread for a while since I'm planning on getting one myself. Then I saw the other day that HobbyKing have released a PNF (PlugAndFly) version.(check it out here)

A positive thing is that they state in the description that
Quote:
Wing spars have been upgraded to larger diameter CF tubing. Wing is now very stiff
I've just placed my order on it and I'll post info on the hardware that comes along when it arrives.
kalleman is offline Find More Posts by kalleman
Old Mar 26, 2011, 06:22 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
That's good that they have beefed up the wing, but the advice on using fibre glass reinforced tape is allright if you dont mind the tape with time becoming like a prune skin,due to differences in expasion rates on hot and cold days. A bit of C/F in the boom and up the tail fin would have been good as it needs a little more weight in the back end.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:32 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
These early planes are tooling samples I think as on the final assembly of the wings I found the allum tubes too short to be locked by the grubscrew locking collar,
also the alligment of the wing CF rod was not correct as foam had to be removed forward of the hole in the fuselage,generally the wing attachment is a struggle to fit together( I had to remove foam from the wing end faces) Wing holding could have been made a lot simpler by using a pin lock that could have been accessed on the cockpit rear wall, as it is its a PIA and I hope the newer ones have been improved,for me I shall be using some tape to hold the wings on for now.
cheers Lez.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 09:57 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
Ready for maiden ,pleased that my gutting of the interior has bought the cg right on the main spar with no extra weight ,AUW 844.5 grams.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:22 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Very nice looking! The cockpit area pops out with the black and scale pilot. I purchased the same one with the green shirt.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:45 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
I had a good flight under ideal conditions apart from the flying spiders we get here with the cg right on the main spar a good trim found the elevator set up ~3mm when I landed wich to me means something may be out regarding longtitudal dihedral, the allerons are too stiff still and recomend live hinging for sure,very sluggish large turns only due to the twist in the allerons ,rudder has some authority,I was surprised when I used the flaps it slowed nicely without any drastic pitching,
I would recomend removing the bump under the tail as you will see the result of a good landing in the pictures If using the pilot glue the head on they must have left it loose so you can set it at a pleasing angle.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:10 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
I dipped the hinge centre in oil making sure none got on the tabs cyno'd them into the allerons and some still got glued up
added more c/f strips to the boom end and cut that bump off the bottom ,waiting for some paint to dry now.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:02 AM
Mr T
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Feilding
Joined Dec 2009
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
How did this no more nails glue work on the fuselage?
Couldn't find white in that brand - so ended up using Gorilla grip in clear. Which works really well - It foams just a little while drying to fill in all the bits you missed. Just needs taping around the fuse while it dries to keep it all tight.
Have had a few flies with the model now - both powered glide on big field with little wind, and on a really good slope in about 10 - 15 Kmph winds. The flex in the wings looks great once you get into the smooth air. I have the CoG set on the lines cut for servo wires. It had little penetration and flew quite slow- I had to trim it up about half way of the travel to get it to fly straight.
So I removed a little weight from the back and tried again. Which made a slight improvement- CG now halfway between servo line and the main spar. The lift was good - my 1.5m fox flew easily - but the ventus still flew slow and had trouble staying up. Lucky for the motor otherwise I would have been walking down or crashing into cliff.
When launching into full lift the wings flex terribly, I was quite embarassed.. especially when I couldn't get it to stay up..
Overall - not that impressed with it. Will definitely give it a few more goes before I give up on it though. Is anyone having better luck with gliding this thing?
trub is offline Find More Posts by trub
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:07 AM
Mr T
Joined Dec 2009
309 Posts
I see the new RTF kit on HobbyKing states that there is two full length carbon spars in the wings- damn.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:07 AM
Mr T
Joined Dec 2009
309 Posts
Looking great Olmod, what conditions do you mean? Hot for thermalling? From my flights I can't imagine it staying up for long.. With more wind on the slope than what I had I think launching would be too hard on the wings.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:24 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
The condition were warm clear sky and was hot enough with some thermals around but because of the lousy turning circle, I had to be content in not getting caught up in anything that I could spiral out of,I had 2 motor runs to ~2to3 hundred feet but I could tell its nice flyer and had an excellant glide ratio ,I did some diving low gliding passes and although its not quick it makes an interesting sound. by the way put some holes in the lower front side edge of the canopy as well as one or more on the top rear if you dont want the rice bubble look of the foam it may now be a little worse than in the picture back a few posts. This foam does not like hot sun behind clear plastic .From an engineering viewpoint maybe these cockpits should have been a higher density foam as the rest of the plane seems ok.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:28 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
Decided on this mod to hold the wings on using cut down 4mm nylon bolts.