HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2011, 02:04 AM
Ground-Attack!
Spain
Joined Jan 2005
55 Posts
Enjoyed the video, thanks a lot.

I always like to see the landing as it usually shows the plane on the edge of flight, so if you can, next time....

Is it better to have the carbon strips on the outside of the tail or to put it inside before assembly?
Martin@ul.ie is offline Find More Posts by Martin@ul.ie
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:53 AM
Joined Mar 2009
12 Posts
SD card was full, therefore no landing. But as I told before, landing is really easy with flaps down. If the halves are not glued together, I prefer the tube inside, it's easy to do and looks nice, and you need some weight in the tail anyway. But I think the strips outside would do the job also, when they end at the end of the tail.
delfin is offline Find More Posts by delfin
Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:12 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin@ul.ie View Post
Enjoyed the video, thanks a lot.

I always like to see the landing as it usually shows the plane on the edge of flight, so if you can, next time....

Is it better to have the carbon strips on the outside of the tail or to put it inside before assembly?
One can think of the fuselage as an I beam ,the material in the middle between the main outer lengths does not do much for rigidity, its purpose is to control the buckle as one outer is under tension and the other compression,but it can be a lot lighter in weight, whereas a rigid centre tube can add weight if its thick enough,but if too much flex and it will act as a hinge and the outer foam may still crack.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Mar 12, 2011, 05:35 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,517 Posts
I went the hack again using a hacksaw blade I cut through the toplate and removed the retract assembly, the remaining pieces glued in with canopy glue are there for keeps,I tried to wriggle break them out but that glue is really good and wont give up,I filled in the hole with a scrap piece of epp using gorilla glue and used prick wheel preparation,then extended the balsa cross grain floor,now the battery can go right back,
A bit of overnight inspiration found a good location for the elevator servo ,I double checked that no wing dowel or servo wires will interfere with the pushrod.
Amongst my lathe scrap I found a piece of white PVC (ex water pipe fitting) the right outside diameter to match the nose and taper turned it fo fit in the gap getween spinner and fuselage.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:30 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
I went the hack again using a hacksaw blade I cut through the toplate and removed the retract assembly, the remaining pieces glued in with canopy glue are there for keeps,I tried to wriggle break them out but that glue is really good and wont give up,I filled in the hole with a scrap piece of epp using gorilla glue and used prick wheel preparation,then extended the balsa cross grain floor,now the battery can go right back,
A bit of overnight inspiration found a good location for the elevator servo ,I double checked that no wing dowel or servo wires will interfere with the pushrod.
Amongst my lathe scrap I found a piece of white PVC (ex water pipe fitting) the right outside diameter to match the nose and taper turned it fo fit in the gap getween spinner and fuselage.
Looking good!
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:38 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Just checked my HK Ventus order status.

4/3/2011 Order placed.

12/3/2011 Status posted to Hong Kong Post as "item posted and is being processed".
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:52 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,517 Posts
Just waiting on servo's now ,then I will be able to post an all up weight,
and will do Emeter tests on the Infinite motor with those graupner cam 9x5 blades,I dont want any puffed packs .
Last edited by olmod; Mar 14, 2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:22 AM
Mr T
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Feilding
Joined Dec 2009
298 Posts
Looking good Olmod I like the fitting of the spinner.
How have you found the movement in wings regarding Rogers remarks all over HobbyKing?
I guess you wont have flown it yet but have you attached the wings and tried wobbling it? I know there will be some flex in it, but Roger said how it wobbled terribly while flying.. Do you think it would be worth devising a carbon spar system instead of the aluminium joiners?
trub is online now Find More Posts by trub
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:17 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trub View Post
Looking good Olmod I like the fitting of the spinner.
How have you found the movement in wings regarding Rogers remarks all over HobbyKing?
I guess you wont have flown it yet but have you attached the wings and tried wobbling it? I know there will be some flex in it, but Roger said how it wobbled terribly while flying.. Do you think it would be worth devising a carbon spar system instead of the aluminium joiners?
I remember him posting that he was using a 2200 mah pack depending on the C rating and that can be very heavy, his test was on the wing tips wich isn't the type of loading that the wing would experience in flight .
Without spars I did try a fit and the wing pockets are very tight and I had to use considerable force to get the wing all the way in, I remember thinking that the locking screws onto the spar would hardly seem needed, but with time and use they may loosen and then be needed,I changed out the grubscrews and used cap headed screws I figured if I'm going to have to fit a long driver down inside the cockpit it would be easier.
regarding the allum joiner, I have already a piece of c/b tube that fits inside the allum tubes ,it helps guide/align the allum tubes into the joiner during assembly and will add a little more strength.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:02 AM
Joined Mar 2009
12 Posts
I put another video on youtube youtube I attached the cam onto my bike helmet. Joining the front carbon spars with an aluminium tube (or carbon) is absolutely necessary, otherwise it looks like a "white Swan" flapping with it's wings, the carbon spar alone in the alu joiner tube does not change much.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:17 AM
Ground-Attack!
Spain
Joined Jan 2005
55 Posts
Great video (with landing!)

Thanks
Martin
Martin@ul.ie is offline Find More Posts by Martin@ul.ie
Old Mar 14, 2011, 04:35 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,517 Posts
delfin From what I could see it looks as though you are doing ok .
you mention joing the two c/f spars with allum but mine has only one c/f joiner spar through the cg not two
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:48 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
Just waiting on servo's now ,then I will be able to post an all up weight,
and will do Emeter tests on the Infinite motor with those graupner cam 9x5 blades,I dont want any puffed packs .
Did the Emeter test for Graupner cam folder 9x5 on an Infinite 2213-970,
11.44volts @13.5Amps @8550 rpm.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 01:13 AM
Joined Mar 2009
12 Posts
Olmod: I meant to join the carbon spar of the left wing to the one in the right wing, see pic.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:05 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
This thread gets better everyday! Olmod and delfin, thanks for the very helpful posts.