Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 09, 2011, 06:49 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Here is part of the explanation for slow deliveries from Hobby King. This is an extract from Hongkong Post's Mail Tracking for an Item I ordered on the 27 Feb 2011. Hobby king states that the item was posted on 3 Mar 2011

"The item (RC047524***HK) was posted on 4-Mar-2011 and is being processed for delivery to the addressee."

The date is now 10 Mar 2011 in Australia so after six days Hongkong Post still has not dispatched this item to Australia. Hobby King took six days to process the order and my latest order has taken five days for Hobby King to process.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2011, 11:47 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delfin View Post
First flight impression: wings are far too "wobbly", for the second flight I installed a 35cm aluminium tube (10mm) to join the front wing spars, (I had to drill it into the wing with the same method as above), I also added a 6mm carbon tube to the aluminium wing joiner. 2. flight: much better now. .
When you post that you drilled with a toothed carbon fibre tube ,I gather that it fitted over the existing tube molded into the wing,
Is that correct ?.
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:33 AM
Joined Mar 2009
12 Posts
The 10mm outer diameter aluminium tube fits over the 8mm carbon tube which is molded into the wings. A 10mm carbon tube usually has less than 8mm inner diameter and won't fit. The 6mm carbon tube I inserted into the alu wing joiner tubes does not make the wing much stiffer.
delfin is offline Find More Posts by delfin
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:19 AM
Joined Oct 2010
5 Posts
first try flight:horrible.the cg is much forward with a rhino 1250 3s.and puting in the rear 15 gr of lead.it has gone to the sand and the tail broken.the cg was aproximatly to the servos cables...

i am going to put the rudder servo in the tail,so i will put the battery more back.

also i wil reforce the tail with carbon fiber tube
JORGEVAL is offline Find More Posts by JORGEVAL
Last edited by JORGEVAL; Mar 10, 2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 02:54 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
664 Posts
Jorgeval what is your total weight? Also I assume you mean the elevator servo, the rudder servo is already in the tail.
Thanks Dan
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Mar 10, 2011, 03:16 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,487 Posts
My elevator is in the tail fin also the rudder needs to be down there also wich will get rid of that long steel pushrod
Old Mar 10, 2011, 03:54 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
664 Posts
Disregard the servo location thing, I got it backwards since I have not assembled it yet. I just got shipment from Hobby king of some of those super slim 8mm metal gear servos, very tiny, 8g, would work for the wing here. I am going to test the centering on them first, got them for thin wing sloper wing.
Dan
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Mar 10, 2011, 06:57 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,487 Posts
Dan I have a friend who has been using them and he thinks they are good on all accounts,
One of the ways I have used to strengthen fuses and flying surfaces is to make an adjustable depth gauge that fits a sharp box cutter and make cuts in wich I place carbon fibre usually 3 to 4 mm x .5 to .8 mm flat section from here http://www.rcfoam.com/index.php?cPat...0c4bed6f2f8c18 then hit it with some thin cyno,also good for stopping parts from fluttering.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 09:44 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
Dan I have a friend who has been using them and he thinks they are good on all accounts,
One of the ways I have used to strengthen fuses and flying surfaces is to make an adjustable depth gauge that fits a sharp box cutter and make cuts in wich I place carbon fibre usually 3 to 4 mm x .5 to .8 mm flat section from here http://www.rcfoam.com/index.php?cPat...0c4bed6f2f8c18 then hit it with some thin cyno,also good for stopping parts from fluttering.
Totally agree with you on this wing mod, good suggestion. Which brings me to...

After watching roger123's 3rd video over on HK (thanks Roger for the good videos) and even though I don't necessarily agree with his recommendation I think that HK got it spot on for scale accuracy, with exception of the spinner size, which I plan to remedy. You know, come to think of it, the real Ventus is designed with massive wing flex and even stated on the Schempp-Hirth website.

On the other hand, on our little scale version, if the wing flex turns to flutter because some of us are twitchy on the Tx with exaggerated motions, or too much wind, or not enough stability or whatever the case, even a mild amount of "scale looking" wing flex that actually works would be positive in my book.

http://www.schempp-hirth.com/index.php?id=34&L=1

I bet if you applied carbon tow strips to the leading top edge and trailing underside of each wing AND wrapped 3M packaging tape (or fibreglass) tape over these (with some CA) and to the leading edges would do wonders for how this scale EPO Ventus flys and reduce flutter. Then, this comes back to roger123's point, it should be good to go out of the box or just requiring a few upgrades. Who wants to spend all this time ( several of us do, me included...)? I believe that the HK Ventus CAN be good with the right setup, just might take several different setups from all of us combined to get it right.

We my friends, are all going to become HK beta testers and after we get these first few production run Ventus kinks worked out and answers posted, HK should supply us with fresh versions with our best working mods installed!

fwiw, my Art-Tech ASK-21 2m EPO has several thin painted white carbon tubes layed into the underside of the wing and is very stout out of the box.

Cheers, Thompson
Scale Sailplane Enthusiast on a foam budget.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Last edited by studioRS; Mar 10, 2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:08 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,487 Posts
re roger123 video

I had not seen his video ,but he bears out my assesment in many regards,
If you want to build a powered version leave out the wheel tray and the battery tray and make your own ,the weight saving and the ability to posistion parts yourself will make this a better plane,this plane has to be kept light.
A
nother heavier option is to cover the lot with 3/4 oz glass cloth bias laid and epoxied,a lot of work to make it look good tho'.

I had a smile when he used a 2200 mah pack,the cg would be on the leading edge,he makes no mention of the actual cg,
but he did his best and power to him for communicating.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:29 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,487 Posts
I used 3x1mm cf strip around 4 sides and the turbo spinner arrived today.
The carbon strips have added a lot of strength.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:05 PM
Joined Mar 2009
12 Posts
Today 2 flights on a hill with about 15km/h Wind. With this upwind it keeps the height, flies well, and I really like the plane. CG today about 45mm from leading edge (I put 11gr to the end of the plane), could probably be further back.
Youtube video is uploading, will post URL later. Not the best quality, first video of my assistant, always trying to find the plane and the zoom button.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 03:53 PM
Joined Mar 2009
12 Posts
Here the link to Ventus video, quality in youtube is really bad.
Ventus Hobbyking test flight, about 15km/h wind (1 min 9 sec)
Old Mar 11, 2011, 07:01 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,308 Posts
Great video, thank you for this! Wonderful looking hills, is that a red Suisse flag waving in the wind? Please let us know where you had this flight, good stuff.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Mar 12, 2011, 01:24 AM
Joined Mar 2009
12 Posts
Yes, its in Switzerland, NE-part, at 850m height just south of "Lake of Constance".