SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 06, 2011, 05:54 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
Slightly off thread but to follow on from Ken, one of the best novice gliders for general use was the Lil T http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_32...tm.htm#3866524
and was easy to build and repair .
Currently in our club the Park Zone Radian is the glider of choice for beginners.http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/parkzone-radian.html

Beginners should be aware that while the Ventus is a beautiful aircraft it will not be an easy glider to fly well.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2011, 09:06 PM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2008
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp View Post
If you are a novice at thermal soaring stay away from scale gliders until you have learnt how to thermal soar. The same goes for four servo flap and aileron wings.

A simple rudder, elevator and motor model will give 40 plus minute flights if conditions are right and is far easier to set up.

Ken
I've had quite a bit of thermalling experience. I built a Carl Goldberg "Electra" many years ago (>20 years!), started to learn RC flying with it, but stopped after a very short time, after a not so successful first solo. Kept the glider in my attic all these years.

Recently, about 3 years ago, I picked up the hobby again, this time learnt RC flying successfully under tuition from an expert flyer, using a Multiplex Easy Glider, then progressed on to the E-Starter (now smashed), GWS Me 109 (also smashed) and now Lanyu P51 (still flying)

And as they say, this time, it's no turning back.

I took the Electra out of storage, dusted it off, everything still looked ok, fitted a Brushless motor. I have been thermalling her to almost impossible to see height and distance ("specked out"?) for quite some time since then. The Electra still performs great, but now looking for something that looks more like a real full size glider. I know the Electra is a floater compared to most scale type gliders, so guess I'll have to work harder with the thermals.

Just tried to maiden a motorised DG1000, but she didn't want to climb and just "plomped" on to the ground when I launched. Not sure if I want to continue with this glider.

Sorry for such a long life history story, but thought it might help if you know where I stand where RC flying is concerned so you can help me come to a decision.

Frankly both the Phoenix 2000 and Ventus look beautiful, but the Ventus is modelled after a real full size glider, so it's a plus point. But the Phoenix has a more durable fuselage which gives it a plus point too.

I can buy the Phoenix here in Singapore but the ventus will have to be ordered from Hobby City, and pay through the nose for shipping.

What will swing my decision is, which glider thermals better.

I live in sunny Singapore, and when the thermals build up, they are solid. I rise in one thermal, follow it as it moves with the wind, then leave it, glide to a nearer cloud and thermal, and start all over again. I have had many over 1 hours thermalling flights, but usually by then, I'll call it quits due to neck strain, and thumb fatigue.
DL8698 is offline Find More Posts by DL8698
Old Mar 06, 2011, 11:46 PM
Mr T
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Feilding
Joined Dec 2009
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL8698 View Post
Just tried to maiden a motorised DG1000, but she didn't want to climb and just "plomped" on to the ground when I launched. Not sure if I want to continue with this glider.
This is probably all to do with the setup. It is worth perservering to get it up and flying. I have a 4m Discus glider that has been such a to get flying nice, I have found the scale gliders need a lot of care with the setup to get them to handle as they should. They need to be balanced perfectly to the millimetre, with good power to get the speed up. Having a little bit of flaps on at take off helps me when taking off. But with time and care you will get there. There is mountains of info about setting up gliders which helps to understand why they behave the way they do. Just dont give up on it
trub is offline Find More Posts by trub
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:03 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
DL8698

I faced the same choice between the Phoenix and the Ventus. Added to this was a liking for both the the 2.45m Salto and the EPO 2.32M Fox gliders. The Ventus won out because I wanted a pure glider version and the Ventus was made from EPO.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:18 AM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2008
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trub View Post
This is probably all to do with the setup. It is worth perservering to get it up and flying. I have a 4m Discus glider that has been such a to get flying nice, I have found the scale gliders need a lot of care with the setup to get them to handle as they should. They need to be balanced perfectly to the millimetre, with good power to get the speed up. Having a little bit of flaps on at take off helps me when taking off. But with time and care you will get there. There is mountains of info about setting up gliders which helps to understand why they behave the way they do. Just dont give up on it
Not sure if the glider is a bit too heavy, it comes to about 1.5 kg AUW.

Feels a bit too heavy to be supported by the "skinny" wings. But can't think of anything I can do to lighten her, cos everything I have on board needs to be there. No extra lead weights have been added for cg. I adjust the cg by moving the 3s 2200 mah battery all the way to below the wing joiner area.

Will try again with cg a bit further back, soon as I get a new 12x8 folding prop to replace the one that broke on the first flight, attempted flight I mean.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 03:03 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,534 Posts
A 12x8 what motor you running and kv?.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:13 AM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2008
315 Posts
I'm using the Turnigy SK35-48 900 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7393 with a 60A ESC.
900 KV on 3S battery.

I get about 250-280 watts measured with a Tamazo DC Watt meter.

Edit: Apologies, I should have mentioned that this setup is for my DG1000, not for a Ventus.
Last edited by DL8698; Mar 07, 2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:25 AM
Joined Oct 2010
5 Posts
hello.i am new in the forum.i am building this plne and i fitted a turnigy 2217 1050 kv that fits perfectly without modifications.
the prop is a 10*8.and my ventus came with a little prop of 8*4
bye
JORGEVAL is offline Find More Posts by JORGEVAL
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:25 AM
Salem OR
Joined Oct 2004
27 Posts
Just got mine. Your thread excellently helpful!

(Now the questions start)

What for are the slots (12x1.5mm) on the wing bottom? There are 5 along the length of the spar, and 2 on the joiner.

With that large aspect ratio, what you figure it stalls at? Maybe 40% more than the Cularis? Sure must be a fast bird

Appreciate your help.
Charliey is offline Find More Posts by Charliey
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:33 AM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL8698 View Post
I'm using the Turnigy SK35-48 900 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7393 with a 60A ESC.
900 KV on 3S battery.

I get about 250-280 watts measured with a Tamazo DC Watt meter.
@DL8698
@olmod

I know you guys are talking about his DG-1000, but krickey, I'm trying to figure out a proper motor for my newly ordered Ventus EPO and these motor specs are confusing me, I'll get over it...
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:54 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JORGEVAL View Post
hello.i am new in the forum.i am building this plne and i fitted a turnigy 2217 1050 kv that fits perfectly without modifications.
the prop is a 10*8.and my ventus came with a little prop of 8*4
bye
Welcome to RCGroups and to the Ventus EPO thread. Possible to post photos of your build, motor and setup?
Old Mar 07, 2011, 03:11 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
I'm planning to make this light as I can due to the high aspect ratio, six servos and landing wheel. I plan to be flying off a field and thermaling. Looks to be a fast sailplane. I'll make the landing gear fixed with a simple set up, adding a scale pilot and building all new servo mounts. Possibly using foamcore with 1/16 ply on either side for this.

Just trying to figure our what motor and ECS to order. I'm planning to be running a 3S 1300 LiPo, 10 x 6 folding Aeronaut carbon or Graupner. AUW looks to be around 690g ~ ? Sometimes the motor decision is always the hardest... grrr.

olmod fitted: Infinity 2213 970Kv
JORGEVAL fitted: Turnigy 2217 1050Kv

What about these two?

eFlight 480 Size 900Kv
The eFlight has a rear mount and looks to be long enough, requiring a small shim if any.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/480_size_...33023_prd1.htm

Turnigy 2213 924Kv
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5690
The Turnigy will need the shaft reversed and looks to be a tick longer.

Any other suggestions, please advise?
Old Mar 07, 2011, 05:48 PM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2008
315 Posts
Sorry if I have caused confusion by bringing the DG1000 into the picture.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 05:55 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliey View Post
Just got mine. Your thread excellently helpful!

(Now the questions start)

What for are the slots (12x1.5mm) on the wing bottom? There are 5 along the length of the spar, and 2 on the joiner.

With that large aspect ratio, what you figure it stalls at? Maybe 40% more than the Cularis? Sure must be a fast bird

Appreciate your help.
The small slots are production aids to hold the spars in position during the molding process ,I fill them with red devil one step filler.
Cant answer the stall speed question, as far as I know only Anthony Hand has flown one.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 06:14 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
I'm planning to make this light as I can due to the high aspect ratio, six servos and landing wheel. I plan to be flying off a field and thermaling. Looks to be a fast sailplane. I'll make the landing gear fixed with a simple set up, adding a scale pilot and building all new servo mounts. Possibly using foamcore with 1/16 ply on either side for this.

Just trying to figure our what motor and ECS to order. I'm planning to be running a 3S 1300 LiPo, 10 x 6 folding Aeronaut carbon or Graupner. AUW looks to be around 690g ~ ? Sometimes the motor decision is always the hardest... grrr.

olmod fitted: Infinity 2213 970Kv
JORGEVAL fitted: Turnigy 2217 1050Kv

What about these two?

eFlight 480 Size 900Kv
The eFlight has a rear mount and looks to be long enough, requiring a small shim if any.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/480_size_...33023_prd1.htm

Turnigy 2213 924Kv
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5690
The Turnigy will need the shaft reversed and looks to be a tick longer.

Any other suggestions, please advise?
All of those motors are good options,I chose the lower KV so I will get better prop efficiency by using a larger prop, but as I pointed out if you want to power this plane I suggest putting rudder and retract servo to the rear(maybe redesigned top tray for the retract) and even then you may have to leave the retract wheel out as the cg is a problem .
I suggest use masking tape to hold things together and tape on externally your servos and other bits to get an idea,the cg should be just forward of the carbon spar not the alloy joiner. you can assemble the tailplane and fit the elevator servo ect for this ballancing act .