HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2011, 01:21 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfou View Post
i think i will put some package tape for the tips because they are to fragile for my taste
I have been giving the same idea a bit of thought and came to the conclusion that I may try and put the upper wing decals on the bottom of the wings I could always use some clear backed adhesive film on the top, a buddy gave me some wich is wide enough, a little thicker than the decals tho'.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:22 AM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Thank you for posting your build photos, notes and experiences! There looks to be lots of room and to choose my own ESC, servos and motor setup is great. Your posts have inspired me to order one yesterday, now the wait is on, let's see how long it takes HK to deliver to New England.

Wait on applying your factory supplied stickers and decal set, I'm planning to design an as scale possible accurate set and will have this available. On the tips I recommend 3M Scotch brand clear tape and have used this with much success on both my EPO 2m DG-1000, and ASK-21. You can see my two other sticker sets and photos at http://www.kewlartdesigns.com, hopefully I'll get the Ventus design done soon.

As a previous poster asked about adding his notes with a non-powered sailplane version, i'm sure you won't mind? This will be a fun build, ok to add my notes and Qs in the thread also?
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:27 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
DG-1000 sticker set

ASK-21 sticker set
Old Mar 04, 2011, 10:29 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
I dont mind contributions that dont hijack the thread into theoretical arguments not related to the actual build I sometimes wonder if the effort is worth while starting a build thread when there is no feedback. A set of stickers would be most welcome.
cheers Lez.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 10:47 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Great! I'll have loads of questions I'm sure.

What type of glue did you use (or more importantly) what glue is recommended on the EPO foam for joining the two halves of the fuselage? I've read that the regular yellow Gorilla glue works on EPO, and I might need to buy some of the white Gorilla glue. Most of the Radian owners have used this along with epoxy or regular CA.

So far my favorite item to use on the foam is the 3M clear tape, it really strengthens the very thin winglets on my DG-1000.

Yes I like the scale aspect of making these foam sailplanes look like their real life big brother from Germany or Switzerland. I will dig up Ventus photos and post here to enhance our own models with scale details. Hopefully, I can draft up the decal set and make available for any new owners reading.

I'll have many more Qs about what type of motor, ESC, and servos to buy. I'll be using my DX6xi Tx and was thinking about running the HK OrangeRx with remote.

Thompson
Old Mar 05, 2011, 11:13 PM
Mr T
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Feilding
Joined Dec 2009
309 Posts
Hi there, must say the ventus is looking great, I ordered one yesterday - unfortunately the postage was the same price as the model itself - yeowch-, but thats cool I like the model, and anything similar in New Zealand would be at least $200.
After building the model up, do you think it would be easy enough to take the spinner off and push the nose cone in to glide without motor? Or would the cone not fit in with the motor in place? I like options Cheers, Gareth
trub is online now Find More Posts by trub
Old Mar 05, 2011, 11:22 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trub View Post
Hi there, must say the ventus is looking great, I ordered one yesterday - unfortunately the postage was the same price as the model itself - yeowch-, but thats cool I like the model, and anything similar in New Zealand would be at least $200.
After building the model up, do you think it would be easy enough to take the spinner off and push the nose cone in to glide without motor? Or would the cone not fit in with the motor in place? I like options Cheers, Gareth
Gareth, there is a recess molded into the edge of the nose and the nose cap will fit over that ,held by tape it should be fine .
Old Mar 05, 2011, 11:25 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
Thomson, What type of glue did you use (or more importantly) what glue is recommended on the EPO foam for joining the two halves of the fuselage? I've read that the regular yellow Gorilla glue works on EPO, and I might need to buy some of the white Gorilla glue. Most of the Radian owners have used this along with epoxy or regular CA.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread I used the worlds best canopy glue
overnight cure and water clean up .
The orange RX may be ok but if you get to far away I would not trust it , I have had one fail in a pitts special.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 01:02 AM
Mr T
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Feilding
Joined Dec 2009
309 Posts
Thanks for that. I am liking this model more and more - cant wait to get it now.
I have been looking at some of this laminating film for use on foam wings, it is meant to greatly improve to strength of the wings.
http://rcsoaringcommunities.co.nz/vi...p?f=264&t=1666
The product is applied with a covering iron, but i'm not sure what temp epo would melt at, and/or if it would be a good idea to apply something with heat to epo.
I have made modifications to my motor so it should mount in quick and easy when it arrives- thanks to the excellent photos and build notes posted.
trub is online now Find More Posts by trub
Old Mar 06, 2011, 01:13 AM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2008
315 Posts
Hi, Olmod,

I have just tried to maiden my Fly Fly DG1000 with motor and let's say it was less than satisfactory.

I have been eying the Phoenix 2000, and at the same time the Ventus looks good too. A plus for the ventus is that it's a model of an actual full size plane.

Just wondering, which glider is more suitable for thermalling, as I intend to fly off flat land, using a motor to climb and then hunt for thermals.

I have just subcribed to this thread, going to follow your progress as you build your ventus.
DL8698 is offline Find More Posts by DL8698
Old Mar 06, 2011, 08:24 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL8698 View Post
Hi, Olmod,

I have just tried to maiden my Fly Fly DG1000 with motor and let's say it was less than satisfactory.

I have been eying the Phoenix 2000, and at the same time the Ventus looks good too. A plus for the ventus is that it's a model of an actual full size plane.

Just wondering, which glider is more suitable for thermalling, as I intend to fly off flat land, using a motor to climb and then hunt for thermals.

I have just subcribed to this thread, going to follow your progress as you build your ventus.
There are thermals and there are thermals ,what Im getting at the Ventus should be able to handle the medium to strong thermals,but in light bubbley lift it would struggle, someones bound to ask about bubbley its the conditions where instead of one large thermal being generated ,clusters of smaller weak ones are scattered due to terrain differences and in near stll air conditions.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 08:36 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trub View Post
Thanks for that. I am liking this model more and more - cant wait to get it now.
I have been looking at some of this laminating film for use on foam wings, it is meant to greatly improve to strength of the wings.
http://rcsoaringcommunities.co.nz/vi...p?f=264&t=1666
The product is applied with a covering iron, but i'm not sure what temp epo would melt at, and/or if it would be a good idea to apply something with heat to epo.
I have made modifications to my motor so it should mount in quick and easy when it arrives- thanks to the excellent photos and build notes posted.
The wings have some compound curves wich could cause problems for some laminating films ,I have not used any of the thicker varieties,but others may care to comment.
But I am cocerned that in a high speed situation I would not be surprised to experience some wing/alleron flutter,I know at least one MFG that sets into the wings a geodetic pattern of ~2mm fibre glass rods, but I do think a very strong no stetch covering material would be better.
I dont particularly like tapes as the expansion rates between the foam and the tapes differ too much and you end up with wrinkles all over the place over time.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 09:08 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
Thomson, What type of glue did you use (or more importantly) what glue is recommended on the EPO foam for joining the two halves of the fuselage? I've read that the regular yellow Gorilla glue works on EPO, and I might need to buy some of the white Gorilla glue. Most of the Radian owners have used this along with epoxy or regular CA.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread I used the worlds best canopy glue
overnight cure and water clean up .
The orange RX may be ok but if you get to far away I would not trust it , I have had one fail in a pitts special.
Good notes, yes I will try to source to canopy glue.

Based on how high i've had my Radian poking into the clouds, and thinking the same, I ordered two OrangeRx satellite receivers yesterday as they recently returned back in stock.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 09:58 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL8698 View Post
Hi, Olmod,

If you are a novice at thermal soaring stay away from scale gliders until you have learnt how to thermal soar. The same goes for four servo flap and aileron wings.

A simple rudder, elevator and motor model will give 40 plus minute flights if conditions are right and is far easier to set up.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Mar 06, 2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 05:22 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
Slightly off thread but to follow on from Ken, one of the best novice gliders for general use was the Lil T http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_32...tm.htm#3866524
and was easy to build and repair .