cordially yours
yogo as is offline Find More Posts by yogo as
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:40 AM
Kedah, Malaysia.
Joined Feb 2007
51 Posts
Yogo as,
Its a challenging craft...just give em a speed and it'll be fine..
Wishing you a very good luck on your ventus flight..
shahrin is offline Find More Posts by shahrin
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:05 PM
Kiwi's can fly
New Zealand, Auckland, Waiuku
Joined Mar 2011
192 Posts
just received mine .will get some pics later.this is an ARF version with motor retracts servos and ESC installed.at first glance every thing is ok except the rudder isn't attached,which isn't a major .what hasn't been included is the main wing joiner.there is the one that slides into the aluminium round tube but none for the square one.
Brettis is offline Find More Posts by Brettis
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:58 PM
Kiwi's can fly
Joined Mar 2011
192 Posts
and not even a book of photos/instructions. Not that it really needs one.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:47 AM
Kedah, Malaysia.
Joined Feb 2007
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettis View Post
Welcome to the world of HK Ventus..
Its this thread that'll be your only manual...good luck !
shahrin is offline Find More Posts by shahrin
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:01 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Instructions are easy. Hang it from the ceiling because that's where it looks best. It's a dog in the air.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:02 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
just received mine .will get some pics later.this is an ARF version with motor retracts servos and ESC installed.at first glance every thing is ok except the rudder isn't attached,which isn't a major .what hasn't been included is the main wing joiner.there is the one that slides into the aluminium round tube but none for the square one.
There is no spar for the square tube. Only one spar needed, and it's the round one.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:47 PM
Kiwi's can fly
Joined Mar 2011
192 Posts
The HobbyKing Ventus EPO PNF glider features removable wings for easy transport, an aluminum retract system and working flaps. Finished in EPO foam the H-King Ventus glider boasts a smooth gloss finish that will have you cutting through the air in search of the next thermal uplift.

The long wingspan (2.3m) and short wing-chord make this a fast glider, to ensure agile performance the main wings have twin Carbon Fiber tubing plus an alloy insert. Landings are slow and predictable with flaps down. The HobbyKing Ventus is a high-quality, original design you wont find elsewhere.

The HobbyKing Ventus PNF also includes a 900kv motor spinning a quality 10x8 folding prop to ensure an excellent accent rate and lot's of thrust, this setup also performs well at low throttle for cruising powered flight. The strong retract landing wheel is operated by 1 pre-installed 17gram MG servo. All control surface servos and general hardware are also pre-installed so you can start enjoying the amazing performance of the Ventus in no time.

Spec:
Material: EPO Foam
Length: 1018mm
Wingspan: 2300mm
Flying Weight: 750gram (With 1300mAh 3s Lipoly)
COG: 30mm from wing root (1st Carbon Spar)
Motor: 2210N 1000Kv Brushless Motor
ESC: 20A Brushless ESC
Servo: 6 X 9g Servo, 1X 17g MG Servo
Battery: 11.1v 1300mAh~1600mAh (not included)
Propeller: 10 X 8 Folding Prop
6 Channel Operation (aileron, elevator, rudder, throttle, flaps, landing gear)

Required:
Your own 7Ch RX/TX with mixing or 6Ch RX/TX with a servo reversing Lead
Battery: 11.1v 1300mAh~1600mAh

Notes.
This model is double boxed to ensure it will arrive safely.
V2.0 Wing spars have been upgraded to larger diameter CF tubing. Wing is now very stiff.

PRODUCT ID: HK-Ventus-PNP

Funny how in one instance it states a 900kv motor and then its a 1000kv motor ??
Old Mar 07, 2013, 01:48 PM
Joined Aug 2011
224 Posts
I just ordered this glider as a KIT from DE warehouse. I bought it as a replacement for my old Hobbyking ASK21-mi 2m. What glue are you guys using for joining the body? I'll try to build it as light as possible.
What AUW did you end up with?
xardinen is offline Find More Posts by xardinen
Last edited by xardinen; Mar 07, 2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:19 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
Hey all, just got this kit and started my build. For gear I swapped out the stock metal rod in the mechanism for one about twice as long to raise where the servo meets the rod and lessen the forces there. I also put a servo saver on there. If anyone is interested the HK 17 gram white servos match a #24 futaba spline.

I'm planning on mounting the rudder servo in the tail to account for balance, it's easier to add nose weight in the end than to add weight to the tail unless it's left on the outside.

I've checked out all my servos and all appear to be good working order, upon inspecting and hogging out where I needed to for my servos to fit I notice that the aileron channels don't leave much foam there. I'm worried about future integrity issues in those spots. I'm thinking I'll go with packing tape on the topside I can hide that with stickers, but I'm hesitant to go with gg on the servo to foam mount, should I ever need to replace a servo I'm out a servo mount as the foam is surely done for. What have some of you done to mitigate this risk?
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:44 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
Ventus Wing and Video

Dedstik,

I never had a problem with the strength or integrity of the wing. I did coat the wing with Polycrylic mixed with white acrylic paint. This gives the wing a nice smooth finish and stiffens it up. I have a video with lots of shots of the wings in action taken from the tail of the plane. The video is posted below. I shot the video last spring. This plane rocks!

Jackson

Ventus at Pradera May-2012 (8 min 33 sec)
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:54 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
I did see that vid earlier in the thread, I'll have to take a pic of what I mean and post it.

Also I've got a DX8 and would like to take advantage of all the features of this plane, crow etc, in the flite test video they mentioned a 9channel is needed for that, is it not possible with an 8 channel, would I have to dump say the landing gear in order to do it?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dedStik; Mar 15, 2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:17 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
820 Posts
Dedstik,

If you have individual channels for each aileron and flap (4 total), elevator, rudder, gear and throttle you have a total of eight channels. I did not program crow in mine, just flaps mixed to the ailerons so I had full wing flaps. Worked fine to bring her in. I also mixed elevator to flaps to help with elevator response, you can see this in action in my video.

I think you have sufficient channels with 8 to be able to program crow in. Take a look at what flight mode can do for you.

Regards,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Mar 21, 2013, 09:23 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
Well last night I got my fuse untaped from the glueing the night prior, turned out great (thank you for the Formular 560 worked a treat). Will be stealing the paint scheme of the Swiss bird. I love the high vis of it.

I did end up installing my rudder servo in the tail, simple mod went without incident. I did take another suggestion from this thread and added a servo saver to my 17g gear servo, need to shave some of the canopy to get the hatch to fit.

I am going to start painting it up tonight, using Krylon plastic rattle can paint. There were two small pieces of EPO that were included as shipping material in mine that I tested on last night and the paint didn't melt the foam. I did keep the can more than 12 inches away from the foam though, but I'm very happy with the result.

I didn't upgrade the motor, I'm going with the stock suggested motor. Should be plenty for how I plan to fly it.

I am concerned with the round CF spar they included, it will not fit into my wing spar channels on one wing, fits the other fine seems my wings were made with two differing ID tubes (bummer). Any thoughts on getting around this, barring drilling one out.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:00 AM
Joined Aug 2011
224 Posts
Im soon done with building this kit and getting ready for maiden flight. I was thinking about making an extra set of wings but with bigger wing area. I was thinking ~ 20cm chord, 2.4m span and either mh32 or some AG airfoil. What do you think? Then I would just use the stock wings for slopeing and the new wings for thermal/fpv/allround.
xardinen is offline Find More Posts by xardinen