SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:24 PM
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
Finally got to fly the ventus; heres my findings"
#1 This plane likes to fly fast
#2 try to slow it down for a turn, you better have lots of altitude, when this thing stalls it takes about 30 or 40 feet to get it back flying again.
#3 fried the motor after the second flight. (theres no air getting back to the motor).
#4 heres some advice, remove about an inch and a halve by an inch of foam from under the front of the plane, giveing the motor some air to breath.
After replaceing the motor I only got a couple of flights more on it.
After the weather here settles down I"ll get out some more.
Our new field is great much better than the old one.
btdt is offline Find More Posts by btdt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:31 PM
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
I built two of these:
#5 advice don't even try to use the hinges that are on the plane there "way" to stiff, cut the flaps, elevator and alerons off and put in some smooth hindges; I"m useing 5 gram servos and with the easy hindges put in properly I have more than enough power to move the survices.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:35 PM
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
I was conserned about the small elevator, this isn't a problem; when the plane is balanced properly the small elevator works just fine.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:20 PM
Kedah, Malaysia.
Joined Feb 2007
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt View Post
Finally got to fly the ventus; heres my findings"
#1 This plane likes to fly fast
#2 try to slow it down for a turn, you better have lots of altitude, when this thing stalls it takes about 30 or 40 feet to get it back flying again.
#3 fried the motor after the second flight. (theres no air getting back to the motor).
#4 heres some advice, remove about an inch and a halve by an inch of foam from under the front of the plane, giveing the motor some air to breath.
After replaceing the motor I only got a couple of flights more on it.
After the weather here settles down I"ll get out some more.
Our new field is great much better than the old one.
Totally agreed...slow turn leads to wing stall.
Flaps usage also a bit tricky...
She needs much airspeed due to high wing loading I guess..
shahrin is offline Find More Posts by shahrin
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:51 PM
Kiwi's can fly
New Zealand, Auckland, Waiuku
Joined Mar 2011
192 Posts
I have just ordered a ventus from HK.I have flown a radian pro for over a year and a half I think now and I'm looking forward to the new challenge. Its the PNP v2 model apparently but will be looking over under and through it.
Brettis is offline Find More Posts by Brettis
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:51 PM
Joined Apr 2005
39 Posts
Hey Brettis - You'll love it. Very challenging but lots of fun. I think though, it needs the front opened out somehow to cool the motor. I burned out my first one. The second one wasn't powerful enough and I burned it out as well - perhaps because it was too weak! But maybe some of the guys here can advise whether they think this is necessary and how to do it. I personally don't think the motor supplied with this ARF is good enough, but then they always put in the bare minumum with these HK kits - which makes them so price attractive and fun to fix up!!
SuperCub Man is offline Find More Posts by SuperCub Man
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:46 PM
Kiwi's can fly
Joined Mar 2011
192 Posts
while i'm waiting for it to arrive i went out yesterday and got a TW 742-5 (6-CH) 2.6m&1.6m interchangeable Glider, with flap . its another foamie.It took about 2 hours to assemble.Most of it is quite well done.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:06 AM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
hi all
finally y flight the ventus
i like its fast but the wings are very elastic
i only put the stock carbon fiber tube in alum holders but
dont put tube in the long space on the front
its recommend put a long aluminium tube in the front space??
i dont want to fly more if the wings make claps up! maybe flying
fastly the wings posibily crash if not place two alum tubes in the wings
yogo as is offline Find More Posts by yogo as
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:49 AM
Kedah, Malaysia.
Joined Feb 2007
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogo as View Post
hi all
finally y flight the ventus
i like its fast but the wings are very elastic
i only put the stock carbon fiber tube in alum holders but
dont put tube in the long space on the front
its recommend put a long aluminium tube in the front space??
i dont want to fly more if the wings make claps up! maybe flying
fastly the wings posibily crash if not place two alum tubes in the wings
That's another weakness I had found..bad wing's joint design n configuration.. I had to tape the wing to the fuse on every flight.. now my ventus has been archived into my memory....gotto get another T tail glider for replacement..
shahrin is offline Find More Posts by shahrin
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:42 PM
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
I flew yesterday, stalled on landing; broke the aft section in right in front of the rudder (weak place) took it home; rudder servo gear stripped, replaced servo and glued it together with epoxy, took it out this morning, must have not glued in good and straight, full up trim was not enough and had to hold almost full up elevator to fly, landed very hard but nothing broke. I built two of these airplanes so I decided to retire #1 to be used for parts; will take #2 out tomorrow and we will see what happenes. This is not a beginners airplane, unless you have years of experance I would not recomend this plane.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:21 PM
Kiwi's can fly
Joined Mar 2011
192 Posts
did it stall because the launch was too high an angle or was there not enough power in the system.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:38 PM
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettis View Post
did it stall because the launch was too high an angle or was there not enough power in the system.
Was useing a 1300 ma battery and ran out of juce (up to long), was trying to get back to landing strip (motor was dead) but I still had control, just tried to to strech the glide; airplane was going to slow and just did what you would call a tip stall.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:27 AM
Kiwi's can fly
Joined Mar 2011
192 Posts
I use the telemetry on my DX8 which is very useful to know when battery is low and takes the guess work out of it. Has saved potential disasters on a number of occasions.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:37 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
My Ventus has died in a violent death spiral. The cause I do believe was my mounting the receiver in a position where one of the 2.4ghs antennas could touch the metal control rod going back to the elevator. As I was preparing for it's maiden and feeding the wing servos wires through the fuse I noticed that they were hanging up on the elevator servo. I also noticed that one of the receiver antennas was right there. I continued blissfully on and after take off and getting trimmed I added power and starting climbing high to start a little soaring. Just after power off and a few circles she dropped the left wing and despite any control input spiraled in. Bummer as it was flying quite nicely. What got me really down was all the time I invested building her from the kit. I still got my Minimoa and she's still flying wonderfully. I've now got her cg back to 73mm and sustained inverted gliding is quite doable. Next I'll try 75mm for a little less elevator need when inverted. At 73mm inside power off loops are very easy to accomplish. Anyone fly the HK Ask 21, the 2 m version, not the fg 2.6m version? I'm thinking of it as a replacement for the Ventus.
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:29 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
818 Posts
RT,

Sorry to hear about the loss of the your Ventus. I had a similar loss on Tuesday. Was flying my new Durafly Zephyr and coming out of a shallow dive when the plan started a violent flutter and flew into the ground. Not a good feeling.

If you are in the market for a new plane let me recommend the FMS ASW28 available from Banana Hobby. http://www.bananahobby.com/asw28-rc-...5366-prd1.html I got one of these last summer and really enjoyed flying it. Complete PNP is $115. The motor/prop combination really lifts this bird to altitude. I fly it with 1800 mAh 3S batteries. With good soaring conditions you should have 30-60 minute flights with no problem.

Of course, there are many other fine options. I loved the Ventus while I had it, but find the ASW28 a more pleasant plane to fly. Soaring should be pleasant IMHO.

Cheers,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone