Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:10 PM
clearwater fl
Joined Nov 2001
69 Posts
I went to the store and bought a croche needle I'm going to put it in the back hole and put the other rod in the front hole; haven;t flown yet; I'm waiting till the new field is finished, the field we have now has short runways and I would like to have a little more room for my first flights. I set the balance point 43 mm from the leading edge of the wing, I think thats what others have done.
btdt is offline Find More Posts by btdt
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:16 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
807 Posts
Ventus Flying at Pradera Ridge May-2012

Hi Guys,

I thought you would all enjoy this video that was shot last May of my Ventus flying at Pradera Ridge. I finally sat down last night and got it edited. I probably had an hour of video that I edited down to 8 minutes to fit the length of the song I chose.

Here's wishing all of you a Happy New Year!

Regards,

Jackson

Ventus at Pradera May-2012 (8 min 33 sec)
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Apr 2005
39 Posts
Jackson - Very nicely done! Makes me want to get mine out and try it even with a sick motor, but it's still below freezing here - so maybe next week!! Have a Happy New Year to you and your family - from a cold Canuck!!
SuperCub Man is offline Find More Posts by SuperCub Man
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:10 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCub Man View Post
Jackson - Very nicely done! Makes me want to get mine out and try it even with a sick motor, but it's still below freezing here - so maybe next week!! Have a Happy New Year to you and your family - from a cold Canuck!!
SuperCub Man,

Thanks for your note. I agree, it was fun to edit the video and dream about flying in nice weather. Only problem is when the nice weather is here I have less time for building and editing videos. I did go out and make one flight earlier today with an electric biplane. Nice to get out but cold!

Happy New Year to you and here's wishing you many pleasant flight with the Ventus when the weather improves. Just keep your speed up, she will tip stall in a heartbeat if you don't carry enough energy through a turn.

Cheers,

Jackson
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Apr 2005
39 Posts
Thanks Jackson - I'm thinking of getting a motor from "Heads Up RC" a supplier suggested by you (thanks!) and from whom I ordered shafts to reverse one on a motor from HK for mounting in front of the firewall. I've had no luck with this as the motor is now extremely noisey. I suspect I did something wrong and I don't want to install it. I had to split the front part of the fuse open to get the old motor and firewall out (twice) and I don't think it will hold up to constantly tearing it apart to change motors.
If you got your motor from them could you advise me which one? I'm reluctant to order a fourth motor that won't work! They clearly advise which motors can be mounted in front of the firewall but their selection is so big that I am really overwhelmed! Thanks.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:11 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
807 Posts
SuperCub Man,

I think the Emax motors are of very high quality. I think you need a 29 mm motor. This particular motor is supposed to generate 35 oz of thrust on an EMP 11x8 folding prop which is an excellent choice for the Ventus.

Try this one: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail

One other thought for you is to just saw off the front of the fuselage, install a ply ring to act as a firewall, and tape the front nose-cone on with white electrical tape. This will give you a very strong firewall with easy access to the motor if you need it. I have done this with a couple of planes and found it to be a very practical way to to deal with motor access issues. It sounds like it would look horrible, but that is not the case. Just be careful when you fab the plywood ring so it fits flush with the fuselage.

Happy New Year,

Jackson
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:51 AM
Joined Apr 2005
39 Posts
Excellent suggestions. I'l post pix when I'm done. What a simple solution! Guess I'm just getting old! Thanks and Happy New Year.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:15 AM
Kedah, Malaysia.
Joined Feb 2007
51 Posts
Jackson- you did it again..cool video. I agree with you that she needs xtra airspeed to maneuver and turn for such a slim long wings.. Happy flying all ventus flyers..
shahrin is offline Find More Posts by shahrin
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:29 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
807 Posts
Thanks for your note Shahrin. Yes, keep that airspeed up! Otherwise the Ventus is a really cool sailplane. Though you cannot hear it in the video, one of my favorite things about the plane was the really cool "whoosh" sound it made on fast, low passes.

Happy New Year,

Jackson
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:36 AM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
hi all,im new here
1 year ago i start flying mi first plane ,messermith epo and
now i have 8 model all of them in epp or depron jack 55 ,some delta ,mini discus
easy star... and last week i ordeder the ventus in hk , because i
want a bigguer plane with flaps my question is
is a good plane ? is easy mount and dismount the wings ?
easy to build?
sorry my english is too bad
thanks!
yogo as is offline Find More Posts by yogo as
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:26 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
807 Posts
Yogo,

The Ventus is a good plane and a bargain as far as price and quality go. Read the thread and take your time building. Also be sure to keep your airspeed up as you get familiar with her handling characteristics. Good luck.

Sincerely,

Jackson
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:01 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogo as View Post
hi all,im new here
1 year ago i start flying mi first plane ,messermith epo and
now i have 8 model all of them in epp or depron jack 55 ,some delta ,mini discus
easy star... and last week i ordeder the ventus in hk , because i
want a bigguer plane with flaps my question is
is a good plane ? is easy mount and dismount the wings ?
easy to build?
sorry my english is too bad
thanks!
After you try the Ventus, check into the Radian Pro. It flies much better.

I have both but the Ventus hangs on the wall looking pretty. Wing loading is too high and the control surfaces are too small to be effective.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:43 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
807 Posts
Another suggestion as a Ventus alternative is the Airfield ASW-28 from Banana Hobby. It has a little more wingspan than the Radian Pro (2.3 meters vs. 2.0) and flies beautifully for less money ($115 vs. $185 for ARF plug-n-play). The Radian is a more capable aircraft and has flaps. Some options to think about.

I have to agree with my friend JumpySticks that the Ventus is a challenging plane to fly compared with the alternatives listed above. However, as you can see from my video posted on this page, I had a blast flying it. So take all of that into consideration.

BTW, JumpySticks hosts a soaring contest when the weather gets good. Whatever sailplanes you end up flying you may wish to participate. It is a fun way to share your soaring successes with a group of guys that will really be impressed if you get in a long flight. My wife, by contrast, says "that's nice dear" if I get a long flight in; she doesn't understand nor does she care about the flight. All she cares about is that I am happy doing it.

My two cents...

Jackson
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:12 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,084 Posts
Hi all

Can anyone tell me what is the width and depth inside the cockpit ?

I need to mount a camera in there

Kev.
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:57 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,084 Posts
[QUOTE=Jackson Stone;23670278]Hi Guys,

I thought you would all enjoy this video that was shot last May of my Ventus flying at Pradera Ridge. I finally sat down last night and got it edited. I probably had an hour of video that I edited down to 8 minutes to fit the length of the song I chose.

Here's wishing all of you a Happy New Year!

Regards,

Jackson

Nice video and well edited. Music spot on
Just for a little more polish, next time if you leave out the on board audio and have music only
it will smooth it out.

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Last edited by Berkie; Jan 29, 2013 at 06:05 AM.