Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:52 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,500 Posts
Tailplane is now assembled with servos and linkages,
installed a 25amp esc and a 800 3sp as far back as the rudder servo will allow,I fitted a spare folder prop to check how the cg is going , not good about a 1/2'' forward of the carbon wing spar with no RX fitted

If you are building one I would advise to cut a new offset top deck for the wheel assembly with provisions for the servos to be mounted at the rear with the front of the deck shortened ,this would give more room for battery placement.
the hatch attachment is useless as the battery is in the way.
Of course its probably fine as a pure glider.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:13 AM
multi rotors,foamies,car lover
Joined Dec 2008
1,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
The folding prop was not included and it looks like a 40mm prop hub will be needed and the foam end shape is not a true circle.
mine came with the folding prop 8x4.5
windfou is offline Find More Posts by windfou
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:43 AM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
670 Posts
I got mine a couple of days ago and came with the prop, I am leaving the retract out all together, with 300sq inches I want to save all the weight I can, I may skip the wheel also. Did you notice how stiff ailerons and flaps are, the foam is way too thick in the hinge line and will need serious sanding. I am also afraid I will break those tips a lot, so thin! I am glad it was not that expensive, more like a novelty, I am not holding much hope for the tiny chord for any serious thermaling but may be fun on a slope with moderate to low winds, I expect fairly fast glide, but it looks cool.
Dan
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Mar 01, 2011, 04:05 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
I got mine a couple of days ago and came with the prop, I am leaving the retract out all together, with 300sq inches I want to save all the weight I can, I may skip the wheel also. Did you notice how stiff ailerons and flaps are, the foam is way too thick in the hinge line and will need serious sanding. I am also afraid I will break those tips a lot, so thin! I am glad it was not that expensive, more like a novelty, I am not holding much hope for the tiny chord for any serious thermaling but may be fun on a slope with moderate to low winds, I expect fairly fast glide, but it looks cool.
Dan
I gather you are building it as a glider not power assist?
I also thought about the tips ,one could tape the bottom and the top tip surfaces which may help .
Old Mar 01, 2011, 04:15 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfou View Post
mine came with the folding prop 8x4.5
My cartons were damaged and I know from experience that if I want to claim that my prop was missing it is required that a series of photo's be taken and sent ,
here is an example of what they want when a part was missing.

Do you mean the item TR35-42-Shaft was missing from your order 2002036755 and you only received 1x TR35-42B-1250 in the parcel ?
Please kindly help to send us below picture so that we can open claim for you .

1: the pictures of all items and all packaged materials .

2: the picture that show the a kitchen scale for entire parcel

3: picture of the postage slip

Who keeps packaging ?
Old Mar 01, 2011, 08:14 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
I gather you are building it as a glider not power assist?
I also thought about the tips ,one could tape the bottom and the top tip surfaces which may help .
I will leave the tips alone for now and hope for the best.
No, I am building it power assist, but I like to climb and then glide, I do not fly any of my gliders as power planes. I also slope them with motors, I hate walking down the hill to get them.

I would not sweat it over the prop, nothing amazing there, wrong size for my planned motor anyway. I am considering one of my ducted fans on top, instead of prop for the jet assist look. This glider is just for fun anyway.
Dan
Last edited by ddruck; Mar 01, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 09:19 PM
multi rotors,foamies,car lover
Joined Dec 2008
1,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
I will leave the tips alone for now and hope for the best.
No, I am building it power assist, but I like to climb and then glide, I do not fly any of my gliders as power planes. I also slope them with motors, I hate walking down the hill to get them.

I would not sweat it over the prop, nothing amazing there, wrong size for my planned motor anyway. I am considering one of my ducted fans on top, instead of prop for the jet assist look. This glider is just for fun anyway.
Dan
i think i will put some package tape for the tips because they are to fragile for my taste
windfou is offline Find More Posts by windfou
Old Mar 01, 2011, 09:55 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,500 Posts
Afew more pix ,I used transfer tape to hold the servo covers on.
you can see why I suggest making a new servo tray.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:12 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,500 Posts
Went the hack on the battery tray ,removed it and the retract servo and cut back the retract tray,glued in a balsa floor direct to the foam, now the battery goes back further and cg is close.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:09 AM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
670 Posts
Keep up the good work, you are saving me a lot of thinking power ,
I see about the battery tray, I am taking out the entire wheel mechanism so I will have more space to shuffle the battery to get proper cg. Huge space in that fuse! Any guess on the cg? I think I will start at 1/3 (33%) of the wing chord, 30% may be safer but I do not like nose heavy planes and most gliders, I am further back then that. The stab is small but so is the wing area and I do not think the last 10" of the wing is really contributing in any way to the lift on this plane. My build is going slow to non, since I have 3 other gliders to finish with a little higher importance then this one, at least in my mind
Dan
Old Mar 02, 2011, 03:39 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,500 Posts
Dan we think alike on the tailplane area I think cg adjustment is going to be critical ,tho' I'd much rather have slightly forward for first flights.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 09:39 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,500 Posts
When trial fitting the wings I noticed they are a very tight fit and I experienced some difficulty in getting the allum ends to line up with the locking collar, to overcome this I found a length of carbon tube that fits up the centre of the allum wing tubes and now use this as a guide.
I cut the servo wires and solder extension leads then coat with 2 coats of nail polish.
I had to cut a couple of mm out of the servo pockets so the pushrods line up perfect,I use gorilla fast cure to glue them in.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 06:59 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,500 Posts
It looks as tho' I will tie the retract up for now as I had to remove its servo to get the cg right , I use rectangular magnet for the hatch ,the shape is better than round for carving into foam and added a foam block to the front edge to lock it in, I use gorilla fast cure and a touch of moisture to help the cure and a piece of nylon bag to stop pieces sticking together. Perhaps others might think to use a heavier servo at the tail end,it would have been better if both elevator and rudder servos were down there imho.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:22 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
olmod

I have just purchased a Ventus that I plan to build as a glider, without a motor, to use for slope soaring. Could you please post a photo of the glider version nose cone.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Mar 04, 2011, 12:14 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,500 Posts
Hi ken ,the nose cone is a simple vacumn formed white .018" wall thickness ABS cone that needs to have a skirt cut off, next series of pictures Ill slip it in.