HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:53 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,284 Posts
I have my doubts about the thermaling ability of this plane. The wing loading is just too high IMHO.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:37 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
790 Posts
Ventus Thermalling Ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
I have my doubts about the thermaling ability of this plane. The wing loading is just too high IMHO.
Hi Jumpy Sticks,

I agree that the Ventus is not a floater. However, I think it will do very nicely in good thermalling conditions. The vertical climb rate of the thermals we experience here is Colorado is far in excess of the sink rate of this plane. Plus, with the capabilities I have programmed in to the plane to modify the camber of the wing, I expect to be able to slow down and pull fairly tight circles that will allow me to get into the core of most any thermal.

I am not going to be able to fly the Ventus for the next week due to travel schedule, however I do plan to do some thermal flying after that with the camera on board and will post the video so you can see what I am talking about.

Keep in mind that the full-size Ventus and its brethren are also high-wing-loading planes and have won many contests for their combination of thermalling and cross-country penetration ability.

Regards,

Jack
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old May 04, 2012, 12:22 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
790 Posts
Ventus in Strong Winds

Had two spectacular slope soaring flights today with the Ventus. I went to Pradera Ridge which overlooks the Pradera housing development between Castle Rock and Parker, Colorado. Winds were strong, averaging 25-35 mph and gusting to over 50 mph.

I had two flights of 30 minutes duration each. Didn't want to risk getting low on battery. Although I did not use the motor much due to the strong lift, I did use it from time to time just to pull the plane forward through the strong wind. Also, the servos were getting a workout due to all the turbulence.

The Ventus is well designed for slope flying, but the winds were so strong that I the plane was hovering in the lift much of the time. It was hard to penetrate, easy to climb, and easy to get into trouble due to the turbulence. Had a couple of close calls but no crashes. The landings involved bringing the plane down more or less vertically at the top of the ridge.

Below is a YouTube video I posted. Apologies for the poor quality of the video, it was filmed on my iPhone in the vertical frame mode so I had to zoom into the low-res video to get a 4:3 aspect ratio. Still, you get an idea of the strength of the winds and lift.

Ventus Strong Lift 05-03-12 (1 min 3 sec)

Cheers,

Jackson
Old May 04, 2012, 02:44 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
2,922 Posts
Jackson, you really do find some good places to fly!
Ridge lift is a different challenge again and more dynamic then themaling I think but again it depends on conditions.
Nigel
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old May 04, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,333 Posts
Damn I'm jealous... Wish we had those slopes in central Texas...

Nice flying..
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old May 04, 2012, 10:08 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
790 Posts
Colorado has its pluses and minuses. We have fantastic convective lift under the right circumstances, but lots of lift-cancelling wind in the Spring When the winds are strong, its time to find the ridges and get to work. I did alot of research using Google Earth to find Pradera Ridge. What makes it particularly attractive is the ease of access. We actually drove to within 100 feet of where the video was shot. I look forward to getting some high quality videos on Pradera and producing great videos for YouTube.

Nigel - I spent three hours this afternoon flying DLG and the Minimoa. Have some video to turn into another movie for YouTube. Will be in touch soon.

Cheers,

Jackson
Old May 07, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,333 Posts
Just got my fuse together with room to balance via a 2600mah battery slid back past the old landing gear location. I did NOT use either wooden trays. I made a replacement for the upper landing gear tray that only holds the rudder servo and provide bracing across the fuse. The battery tray I left out and after I glued the fuse together I glued a wooden floor(where battery sits) from the motor mount to past the landing gear opening. Helps brace and support the cockpit area. She balances anywhere from 45 to 38mm depending on where I place the battery.
Old May 07, 2012, 11:33 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
790 Posts
Video of Soaring at Pradera Ridge

RTBates,

Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job on your Ventus. Please post some pictures. I think I am flying mine with a CG that is 43 mm back from the leading edge which seems pretty ideal. I think if you get much further back than 45 mm she will become unstable.

I continue to have some incredibly flying experiences with my Ventus. Here is a video from yesterday:

Soaring at Pradera Ridge 05-06-12 (6 min 6 sec)

Keep us posted on your progress!

Cheers,

Jackson
Old May 07, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
RTBates,

Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job on your Ventus. Please post some pictures. I think I am flying mine with a CG that is 43 mm back from the leading edge which seems pretty ideal. I think if you get much further back than 45 mm she will become unstable.

I continue to have some incredibly flying experiences with my Ventus. Here is a video from yesterday:

https://vimeo.com/41684919

s

Cheers,

Jackson

o far I've learned quite a bit about building the Ventus from rcgroups. I'm going really slow as I can always fly my HK MInimoa for my sailplane fix.

I do enjoy your clips/ Keep em coming
Old May 10, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,333 Posts
flap question

How did you guys 'solve' the flap servo problem?? You know the one where IF left as is, they act as if they are ailerons!! THAT ONE!! I turned one of my flap servos around 180... Why doesn't the manufacture accommodate this?? Too many high dollar radios??
Old May 11, 2012, 06:03 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
790 Posts
Flapping around

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
How did you guys 'solve' the flap servo problem?? You know the one where IF left as is, they act as if they are ailerons!! THAT ONE!! I turned one of my flap servos around 180... Why doesn't the manufacture accommodate this?? Too many high dollar radios??
RT,

Yep, that's one solution.

I think what I did on mine was use an Orange 9 channel Rx and dual-aileron, dual-flap configuration. This allows me to use individual channels for the flap and aileron servos and reverse or program them as I need to. I have the Spektrum DX8 Tx.

Wishing you smooth sailing as you finish up the Ventus. I actually tip-stalled mine into the dirt two days ago. Broke off the nose. I was planning to replace the motor any way. Hope to fix soon and have her back in the air. The Ventus is a lovely ship in the air but it does not like to get too slow. It will tip stall and flip over in a heartbeat. So, keep your speed up.

Regards,

Jackson
Old May 12, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,195 Posts
Hi, gang. I don't have a Ventus yet but I might have something to offer. I too was plagued by flimsy ailerons on my ASW 28 which resulted in said ailerons being all but useless. I was able to fix the problem by adding longer servo arms, stretching out the hinges, and applying a layer of Sky-Loft to the top and bottom of the ailerons with epoxy. Silk and epoxy or CA would work too but I get headaches from even "odor free" CA so I try to avoid it. I also found that simply painting the ASW, 3 coats of Polycrylic and 3 coats of gloss white, stiffened the whole airframe and damped out the wobbliness of the first test flights.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old May 12, 2012, 12:41 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,284 Posts
Mine has become a display model. It looks great, but the high wing loading and unresponsive ailerons make her fly like a brick. I have yet to hear of anyone rising in a thermal and I doubt that it will.

Adding epoxy for stiffness would just increase the already marginal wing loading IMHO.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old May 30, 2012, 02:21 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
RTBates,

https://vimeo.com/41684919

Cheers,

Jackson

Love that video. And the music! So far I know it is 'Now We Are Free' from the Gladiator but I will be darned if I can figure out what album or artist. Sounds like Peruvian pan flute but I still can't find it. Can ya help me out?

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old May 31, 2012, 12:16 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
790 Posts
Gord,

You are correct on the music. I pulled it from a collection of Hans Zimmer's music.

BTW, I am working on a new version of flying the Ventus at Pradera Ridge. Should have it shot, edited and posted to Vimeo within the week.

JumpySticks - You will be intrigued to hear that I caught a beautiful thermal with my Ventus last Monday and climbed several hundred feet. You are correct that the wing loading is pretty high, I think I calculated 17 oz per ft2 for mine. It also has small control surfaces which can make it tricky to fly. And watch out for that nasty tip stall! But, if you keep the speed up it flies quite nicely. The Ventus is better at slope soaring than thermalling, however it has a wonderful look about it in the air that is compelling.

Am going to build a 2.3 meter Fox EPO glider next.

Cheers,

Jackson