HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:00 AM
Christiansburg, VA
Joined Sep 2002
740 Posts
How is the weather in Parker? It is snowing here in VA. My sister used to live out there. You should go up the mountain and slope soar it!
Just kidding; be careful, and have a great flight!
Best!
Mike
ForeverFlying is online now Find More Posts by ForeverFlying
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:16 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlying View Post
How is the weather in Parker? It is snowing here in VA. My sister used to live out there. You should go up the mountain and slope soar it!
Just kidding; be careful, and have a great flight!
Best!
Mike
Hi Mike,

Woke up to an inch of snow and strong winds this morning. Am at my office right now but planning to head home and hope to get in a maiden before dusk. Parker is a great place to live but this time of year it is a drag with cold weather hanging on. Am looking forward to much warmer days in March.

Regards,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:10 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Successful Ventus Maiden!!!

I am very pleased to report a successful maiden of my 2.3 meter Ventus electric sailplane this evening at Bayou Field. Bayou is a local sports facility run by Douglas County. The Crown Jewel of Bayou is a multi-use Astroturf field.

This scale sailplane is equipped with rudder, elevator, dual ailerons, dual flaps, and a retractable main wheel. The dual ailerons and flaps will allow for some interesting programming capabilities. For now I have the flaps set for three positions: normal flight, reflex, and thermalling/landing.

The Ventus uses a 10x8 folding prop and a motor that pulls 200 watts and 19 amps at full power from an 1800 mAh 3S battery.

I got in three flights and left the field just as the sun touched the mountains. Attached is a photo of what she looked like at the end of the maiden flights.

I am absolutely stunned by the wonderful flight performance of this plane. It flew perfectly from the moment of first launch and required only two clicks of aileron trim. It is moderately aerobatic and lovely to watch in turns and chandelles. I have tried to achieve a very scale look with the plane and thought she looked gorgeous in the air and especially on low passes. I enjoyed very much lining up the Ventus for a low pass at moderate speed. She has no trouble maintaining a constant altitude for the length of the field.

I note that in a flat glide, the lift-to-drag ratio appears to be very high. However this bird tends to drop altitude on any thing more than a moderate turn.

I had four landings, all progressively better. For the last landing entered a left-hand pattern over the field, flew downwind with low power until entering my base leg, where I cut the power. Upon turning to final I dropped the gear and flaps. The plane settled down into a nice glide path and cleared the fence with about 15 feet. Once clear of the fence I dropped her down almost to the deck and let the speed bleed off until she settled smoothly onto the Astroturf and rolled out. Final landing roll-out position was about two-thirds down the field.

I am excited to see how this ship handles both ridge and thermal soaring. Shouldn't be long now before the thermals start popping!

Best regards,

Jackson
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:56 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
I am very pleased to report a successful maiden of my 2.3 meter Ventus Jackson
Congratulations!
I love the red wingtips.
Where did you have the CG?
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:45 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Ventus CG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand View Post
Congratulations!
I love the red wingtips.
Where did you have the CG?
Galand,

Agreed on the red wing tips. They not only look great, but make visibility in cloudy skies much better.

I have my CG at 43 cm behind the wing root. Appears to be more or less perfect.

Here are some more photos from this afternoon.

Cheers,

Jackson
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:49 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
I mean millimeters

Galand,

That CG position is 43 millimeters behind the wing root, not centimeters.

Jackson
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:35 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
I am very pleased to report a successful maiden of my 2.3 meter Ventus electric sailplane this evening at Bayou Field. Bayou is a local sports facility run by Douglas County. The Crown Jewel of Bayou is a multi-use Astroturf field.

This scale sailplane is equipped with rudder, elevator, dual ailerons, dual flaps, and a retractable main wheel. The dual ailerons and flaps will allow for some interesting programming capabilities. For now I have the flaps set for three positions: normal flight, reflex, and thermalling/landing.

The Ventus uses a 10x8 folding prop and a motor that pulls 200 watts and 19 amps at full power from an 1800 mAh 3S battery.

I got in three flights and left the field just as the sun touched the mountains. Attached is a photo of what she looked like at the end of the maiden flights.

I am absolutely stunned by the wonderful flight performance of this plane. It flew perfectly from the moment of first launch and required only two clicks of aileron trim. It is moderately aerobatic and lovely to watch in turns and chandelles. I have tried to achieve a very scale look with the plane and thought she looked gorgeous in the air and especially on low passes. I enjoyed very much lining up the Ventus for a low pass at moderate speed. She has no trouble maintaining a constant altitude for the length of the field.

I note that in a flat glide, the lift-to-drag ratio appears to be very high. However this bird tends to drop altitude on any thing more than a moderate turn.

I had four landings, all progressively better. For the last landing entered a left-hand pattern over the field, flew downwind with low power until entering my base leg, where I cut the power. Upon turning to final I dropped the gear and flaps. The plane settled down into a nice glide path and cleared the fence with about 15 feet. Once clear of the fence I dropped her down almost to the deck and let the speed bleed off until she settled smoothly onto the Astroturf and rolled out. Final landing roll-out position was about two-thirds down the field.

I am excited to see how this ship handles both ridge and thermal soaring. Shouldn't be long now before the thermals start popping!

Best regards,

Jackson
I think she'll be a good slope plane. Should be able to take moderate winds. I'll be surprised if she'll thermal in anything less than strong thermals, but will probably have to wait through our usual windy spring season to find out. No slopes around here.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:10 PM
Christiansburg, VA
Joined Sep 2002
740 Posts
Congratulations Jackson! That's a beautiful ship. Do you know what your wing loading is? I would love to have one if I could get it to around 9 oz/sq ft. Maybe leave out the landing gear?
Great pilot! Did he come with the kit?
ForeverFlying is online now Find More Posts by ForeverFlying
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:16 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Ventus Slope and Thermal Soaring Potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
I think she'll be a good slope plane. Should be able to take moderate winds. I'll be surprised if she'll thermal in anything less than strong thermals, but will probably have to wait through our usual windy spring season to find out. No slopes around here.
Agreed on the ridge slope soaring capability. There are some interesting places to fly big ridges that are within a 30 minute drive that I will try as time permits.

We are blessed with strong thermals here in Colorado so I am hopeful she will be good for that too. I know that Spring is windy, however there are lots of fine days where winds are reasonable and the thermals are popping. Can't wait for those days!

Best regards,

Jackson
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:37 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,730 Posts
Quote:

Best regards,

Jackson
Great congrats on maiden!
Wow that looks really nice you've done a great job on the finish!
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:59 PM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Congrats, Jackson! That's a nice-looking bird. I'm envious of your Astroturf field; you really couldn't ask for a better landing surface.
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:25 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Hi guys. Thanks for all the kind feedback. I am in Houston on business for the week. I miss my wife, my doggies, and my Ventus!

Forever, the pilot is available from Hobby King. I think there is one w a red shirt as well.

Will fly back to Denver on Friday. We have strong winds from the SW predicted for Saturday. Could be a great day to test the ridge soaring capability of the Ventus.

Best regards to all,

Jackson
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:31 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Forever,

Will figure out wing loading and let you know. This is not a light bird. The MiniMoa will be lighter. If wing loading is a primary deciding factor you may want to opt for a big built-up wing. That will give you the best strength to weight.

Jackson
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:29 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Slope Soaring with Ventus

Hi all,

I have returned from a successful week in Houston and am happy to report that since yesterday I have gotten in three sessions of slope soaring with the Ventus. I have three different locations for slope soaring. One overlooks Sagewood Middle School and has a SW orientation, one overlooks the Pradera Golf Course and has a SE orientation, and the last is some playing fields at Cimarron Middle School that are bordered by man-made ridges facing south and west. So, I can get perpendicular to winds from the SE, South, SW and West. That about covers most of the prevailing wind directions.

The best flight was yesterday evening at the Pradera site. I had 10-15 mph winds from the SE and flew four batteries. The winds were sufficient to keep the Ventus aloft at the same elevation as it traversed the ridge. This site has a backdrop at the sourthern end of Pike's Peak and some dramatic foothills. Quite the pretty view! I found myself using the motor to power through the turns, sometimes making it down and back the ridge before using power. With the late afternoon sunlight reflecting off the plane, it was a gorgeous sight.

My favorite maneuver for turning the plane around with power involves throttling up, climbing slightly, then pulling up and using rudder to swing the sailplane around in a Chandelle. I also enjoy climbing the plane up about one hundred feet, turning around, putting the plane into a dive to pick up speed, then whistling over my head. The plane makes a sound similar to a whistling tea kettle on fast approach followed by a a Doppler shift as she flies over with a grand whoosh sound.

This morning I tried the Sagewood site, but the winds were not blowing perpendicular. So, I ended up flying my Extra instead. On the Ventus landing I hit down fairly hard in a parking lot which ended up ripping out the plastic pin on the clevis. I replaced the clevis with another plastic one as I like the idea of having a weak link in the retracting gear assembly so a hard landing does not destroy my servo.

This afternoon I flew at Cimarron. I was working a ridge with 15-20 mph winds. The high wind velocity creates a fair amount of turbulence, which kept me on my toes. I was able to maintain elevation, even climb a little at times. There was a small hawk hovering in the wind along the ridge. It seemed to ignore the Ventus flying by, breaking its concentration only to swoop down on some poor mouse in the field below.

Bottom line is that the Ventus is performing well and I am enjoying learning slope soaring techniques. I hope to get a video to post soon.

All the best,

Jackson
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:09 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Ventus Wing Loading

This is a long-tardy response to the question posed on wing loading for my Ventus.

The posted flying weight on the HK website is 26.4 oz (750 grams). My actual, measured AUW is 49.5 oz (1400 grams).

The wingspan is 2300 mm, the average chord (measured half-way down the wing) is 105 mm. That is a wing area of 241,500 square millimeters, or 0.241 square meters, or 2.59 square feet.

The HK website version wing loading would be 10.1 oz per square foot.

My actual wing loading is 19.1 oz per square foot.

BTW, my COG is currently set at 45 mm back from the leading edge. The HK website talks about a COG of 30 mm back from leading edge. In my view this would produce a very nose heavy CG.

I realize some of you readers will be aghast at the notion of a sailplane with a 19 oz per ft2 wing loading, preferring floaters that are less than 10 oz per ft2. Let me point out however that the full size version of this glider carries water ballast, creating higher wing-loading to improve its cross-country penetration ability and handling. I have to say that I really like the way this bird flies and its handling. It does ridge soaring quite nicely and seems unruffled by the turbulence that often is found on ridges. I have yet to do any thermal soaring with it but I suspect it will do fine with any strength of thermals. We tend to have fairly strong thermals here in Colorado.

I am planning to go to my local flying field today and test out the Ventus as well as fly several other of my planes. Expect to see good thermalling conditions today and will report how the high-wing-loading Ventus performs.

Best regards from Colorado,

Jackson