HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:12 AM
BlackBirdPictures
Joined Apr 2011
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
This glider is really a good flyer after a few modifications, and it's worth investing in a few servos to put it together..
I flew in some thermals today and thanks to its flexible wings you can see which side to turn to get the thermal, it can handle a loop easily, it's beautiful to see the wings curve.

here are some pictures of the modifications I came up with:
- enlarging the elevator surface which is too small to achieve proper maniability
- reinforce it so that the tailplane doesn't move when using the elevator
- reinforce the aft part of the fuselage with fiber glass rods
- put a second wingspar in the front
- use magnets to hold the wings (plus a piece of tape for safety )

To achieve proper CG i recommend placing a max. of electronics at the rear, for ex I put the rudder servo at the back of the wings.
Enjoy your flights !
BlackBirdPicture is offline Find More Posts by BlackBirdPicture
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:28 AM
United States, NJ, Evesham Township
Joined Dec 2000
76 Posts
Hobby King Ventus build Summary

Have been following this thread for a bit and just finished my own version of the Ventus: My comments apply to the kit version not the RTF. A couple of summary items. I use 8 channels: 4 for wing, R, E, motor & wheel.

1. The plane comes stock, nose heavy so your mods need to consider that fact. Consider light motor, 800mah lipo, and motor mounted to rear of motor mount. Figure flying weight 850g = 30oz.
2. If you don't reinforce the fuselage at the tail, the tail will break off. I put a 6mm, 22" carbon arrow shaft down center imbeded 3 1/2 inches into tail and epoxied/gorilla glue to inside fuselage foam below the wing mount.
3. My solution to wing joiner issue was use the supplied carbon rod at the front joiner tube as per mfgr. and slide an 8", 15/64" diameter (6mm should work also) drill rod into the aluminum aft joiner.
4. Metal gear, robust servo for wheel retract. But adds to nose heavy problem. I like to the suggestion to reverse the wheel mechanism. But too late for me.
5 Definitely add live hinge.

My question to the group is: What about the 3-4mm squared off trailing edge? All high performance model gliders have a very thin, if not knife edge TE. I added 1/2" balsa TE stock to the tail feathers to add some rearward weight, and more control authority. Later will try adding to wings for wing area. How is the yaw and pitch authority on the stock version? Any comments would be helpful.
John
jwjenks is offline Find More Posts by jwjenks
Old May 02, 2011, 06:18 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
429 Posts
Has anyone got the newer model with upgraded wing spars for stiffer wings?

If so, how does it compare to the older model, are mods still required?

Thank you
HeliRyan is offline Find More Posts by HeliRyan
Old May 02, 2011, 08:18 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,479 Posts
A model best suited for light winds and sand or short grass landings ,I will be adding magnets into wing mounts as well , rough paddocks are not kind to the ventus.
the grubscrew idea is fail "Anthony"
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old May 03, 2011, 07:08 AM
Denton Tx.
Joined Sep 2003
1,945 Posts
Dennis H. is offline Find More Posts by Dennis H.
Old May 13, 2011, 09:47 PM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2008
315 Posts
Flew, well, sort of flew, my Ventus. Real nose heavy even with my 2s 1300 Lipo shoved as far back as I could. Had to stick about 20 gm of lead to the tail.

But wings are way too flexible. Affects the flight very badly along the pitch axis. I'm thinking of putting a cf strip vertically along the entire length of the wing to prevent the extreme flapping of the wings every time I change elevator position from up to down.
DL8698 is offline Find More Posts by DL8698
Old May 21, 2011, 08:19 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,304 Posts
My plans have changed and my HK Ventus kit is for sale. Still in the box direct from HK, I haven't even opened it - bugger.

My costs to get to the states were...
1x #Ventus/16582 HobbyKing Ventus 2.3m EPO Glider (KIT) = $47.97
Air Parcel (UNITED STATES) 2500g - 2999g $36.54

These are currently out of stock at HK, this is available now.
$84.51, shipped free to anywhere in the 48 US states.

PayPal, PM me for payment details.

Cheers, Thompson
studioRS is online now Find More Posts by studioRS
Old May 28, 2011, 08:19 AM
Rocky Mountain High
Colorado
Joined Nov 2006
195 Posts
I purchased a PNF with servos etc to finish as a birthday present for a fellow flyer who will be 87 years old this summer. He was a B-24 pilot based in England during WWII. He only flies gliders now due to his age. My concern is the strength of the wings. Any furher suggestions for making the wings stronger. Also, grubs for wing tube are missing, anyone know what size these are?
mtnflyer44 is offline Find More Posts by mtnflyer44
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2011, 08:43 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnflyer44 View Post
I purchased a PNF with servos etc to finish as a birthday present for a fellow flyer who will be 87 years old this summer. He was a B-24 pilot based in England during WWII. He only flies gliders now due to his age. My concern is the strength of the wings. Any furher suggestions for making the wings stronger. Also, grubs for wing tube are missing, anyone know what size these are?
The grub screws are 3mm I swapped mine for cap screws as they are easier to fit a key into I used an low temp' iron on covering on the bottom of the wings out to the tips laid down in a stip fashion avoiding any compound curved parts of the wings.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old May 30, 2011, 08:09 AM
Rocky Mountain High
Colorado
Joined Nov 2006
195 Posts
Thanks for your help. Have one more question. How can I determine if the wing is V1 or V2.
mtnflyer44 is offline Find More Posts by mtnflyer44
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:40 AM
Joined Jan 2009
42 Posts
Wheel lock

hello, here is my solution for the wheel. Seems to work fine, reducing the load from the servo on landing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBirdPicture View Post
Hi everyone,
...To achieve proper CG i recommend placing a max. of electronics at the rear, for ex I put the rudder servo at the back of the wings....
By the way, what is the best CG for termaling?

Thanks for the thread and for the answer in adwance.
Regards,
Ferenc
f-romi is online now Find More Posts by f-romi
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:57 AM
USA, CA, Arcadia
Joined Apr 2006
346 Posts
I got a v1 kit in a trade. I m excited to build . but I noticed that all the motors require that I either reverse the shaft or not be able to use the supplied collet in the folding prop assembly. I dont know if this makes any sense, but anyone have any thoughts on this?
vmaxmasonrya is offline Find More Posts by vmaxmasonrya
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:26 PM
multi rotors,foamies,car lover
Joined Dec 2008
1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxmasonrya View Post
I got a v1 kit in a trade. I m excited to build . but I noticed that all the motors require that I either reverse the shaft or not be able to use the supplied collet in the folding prop assembly. I dont know if this makes any sense, but anyone have any thoughts on this?
i change the motor to better one anyway i sell it for best offer because i just fly quadcopter now
windfou is offline Find More Posts by windfou
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:59 PM
Christiansburg, VA
Joined Sep 2002
731 Posts
Dear Group,
Does anyone have the updated version with the stiffer wing? Is it much heavier?
I am looking for a light wing loading glider. Does anyone know the all up weight and wing area?
JW: Did you try adding wing area at the trailing edge? How did it work?
Thanks everyone!
Mike
ForeverFlying is offline Find More Posts by ForeverFlying
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:50 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlying View Post
Dear Group,
Does anyone have the updated version with the stiffer wing? Is it much heavier?
I am looking for a light wing loading glider. Does anyone know the all up weight and wing area?
JW: Did you try adding wing area at the trailing edge? How did it work?
Thanks everyone!
Mike
I have the new version. I'm in the process of replacing nearly all the hardware, including the motor.

Yes the wings are plenty stiff. I did get a couple of flights with the stock motor, after replacing two defective servos and the under spec esc. When I got the plane, the motor ran backwards. After three flights the motor overheated, so I am replacing and will add ventilation.

Surely the wings are heavier. They seem real heavy, which may ba a reason for the lackluster roll rate with those skinny ailreons. I may extend the ailerons rearward with some clear plastic to retain the scale appearance and get some roll rate.

It does seem to glide well, but that's all I can say after 3 flights.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks