HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:21 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
I have never flown one of these but it looks like the Ventus should be a pretty good thermal soaring or slope soaring glider? What do you guys think? If it is, you might wnat to join in the fun in April as we are going to see which foam e-gliders are the best at thermal and slope soaring.

We have an all foam e-glider duration contest running in the electric sailplane forum to see which is the top foam e-glider for thermal and slope soaring. This is a contests being run exclusively on RC Groups in the electric sailplane forum.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1413289

If you are good at thermal or slope soaring your Ventus then show us how good it is. Don't let the Radian and Easy Glider pilots have all the fun. And don't forget bragging rights!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2011, 10:11 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
Too much wind today for flat field trials .
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Apr 05, 2011, 09:58 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
Did manage to fly today and the live hinges are the way to go
On the second flight the 25amp ESC packed it in motor draws 17amps and the ESC was very hot ,may have to open up some breathing holes
conditions would have been good except for a few gusts to ~12mph.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 12:55 AM
Utah
Joined Feb 2007
102 Posts
I just got in the ventus RXR today. I think I have been ripped off. The wings are flimsy as hell, after rough fitting the plane I can see the CG is way nose heavy, the retract doesn't lock up or down and to top it all off there are no instructions where is the CG?

I guess I will have to start hacking at it, sure hope it will fly :-)
slcrcflyer is offline Find More Posts by slcrcflyer
Last edited by slcrcflyer; Apr 06, 2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 02:29 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcrcflyer View Post
I just got in the ventus RXR today. I think I have been ripped off. The wings are flimsy as hell, after rough fitting the plane I can see the CG is way nose heavy, the retract doesn't lock up or down and to top it all off there are no instructions where is the CG?

I guess I will have to start hacking at it, sure hope it will fly :-)
All the things you complain of have already been commented on in this thread. So if you had read all of the thread then you would have been warned about what to expect.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Apr 06, 2011, 07:45 AM
Ground-Attack!
Spain
Joined Jan 2005
55 Posts
Cg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfin View Post
today 2 flights on a hill with about 15km/h wind. With this upwind it keeps the height, flies well, and i really like the plane. Cg today about 45mm from leading edge (i put 11gr to the end of the plane), could probably be further back.
Youtube video is uploading, will post url later. Not the best quality, first video of my assistant, always trying to find the plane and the zoom button.
ok?
Martin@ul.ie is offline Find More Posts by Martin@ul.ie
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:04 AM
Utah
Joined Feb 2007
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp View Post
All the things you complain of have already been commented on in this thread. So if you had read all of the thread then you would have been warned about what to expect.

Ken
Wow did I offend you? I love people like you. You sure make people in this hobby feel welcome. I have a great idea if you don't have anything constructive to say don't speak.
slcrcflyer is offline Find More Posts by slcrcflyer
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:58 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
I have been looking at the retracting wheel on the Ventus to see if any modification could be made to take the load off the retract servo on landing.

After a while I came to the conclusion that if the retract was mounted 180 degrees around then the landing load would be taken by the down stop.

Here is what I have done to my Ventus.

1 Remove the retract and retract box from the mounting plate.

2 Cut a new slot for tthe operating lever.

3 Rotate box 180 degrees and replace. Re-glue in place.

4 Cut a new slot for the mounting plate in the fuselage sides.

I now have a retrating wheel assembly that does not put loads on the retrct servo when landing.

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Apr 06, 2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 04:58 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Interesting approach, I like your mod. I wonder if somehow a strong enough spring could be incorporated into the landing gear with provisions for the servo and to also act as suspension? Of course swapping it 180 deg wouldn't work for this.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Apr 06, 2011, 07:17 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
Interesting approach, I like your mod. I wonder if somehow a strong enough spring could be incorporated into the landing gear with provisions for the servo and to also act as suspension? Of course swapping it 180 deg wouldn't work for this.
I plan to use a Dubro Servo Overide to allow the servo to not be loaded when the wheel is down. I have one that I purchased several years ago but they are listed in the latest Dubro catalogue under Cat No 120 in the car and truck section.

http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...1.1.0.0.0.0.0?

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Apr 06, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 08:13 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
Could someone please make with pins and cotton a centre line down the fuselage side and measure up to the centre of the leading and trailing edges of the wing and tailplane, as my tail boom was cracked and repairedI am getting strange numbers like wing +4.5deg' and tailplane +2deg' the tailplane Im sure should be negative or at least level with the centre line.
Old Apr 08, 2011, 09:06 PM
Singapore
Joined Mar 2008
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
my tail boom was cracked and repaired
Don't remember reading a previous post about this. Where on the tail boom did it crack and how did it happen? Is this an inherent weak point on the tail boom? And it cracked even with the carbon fibre mods you made to the boom?

I just ordered a ventus from HK a couple of days ago, and will have to consider whether there is an inherent weak point in the boom when I start building.
DL8698 is offline Find More Posts by DL8698
Old Apr 08, 2011, 10:00 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
The tail skid puts pressure on the area under the front edge of the taifin, you can afford to put a decent size c/f (1/2'')tube right down to the end and the extra weight will work in your favour when getting the cg right.
I use canopy glue for all the jobs just perforate the skin it will hold like heck and you can use water to clean up while fresh.
Last edited by olmod; Apr 09, 2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 07:22 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1 Posts
Yet another ventus about to come

Hi All,
My ventus Is in backorder since april 1. It Will be here in France in the following weeks. It is an upgrades wing root version.
It's a pleasure to read you all, and I hope to share here my humble exeprience and vidéos. I live in south France, in a very sunny zone.

I hope to come back soon with more flying experience.
Rafale68 is offline Find More Posts by Rafale68
Old Apr 09, 2011, 11:17 AM
Joined Dec 2007
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp View Post
I plan to use a Dubro Servo Overide to allow the servo to not be loaded when the wheel is down. I have one that I purchased several years ago but they are listed in the latest Dubro catalogue under Cat No 120 in the car and truck section.

http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...1.1.0.0.0.0.0?

Ken
I was thinking that it might be easier to use a servo saver like this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJH57&P=ML
RC-Archer is offline Find More Posts by RC-Archer