HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2012, 03:33 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
454 Posts
The servos that were in my Q-Tee since the 70’s were Futaba FP-S6 servos weight 42grams each.

These will be substituted with a pair of JR NES-241 servos weighing a mere 9grams each.

Amazingly the old Futaba's work perfectly after 35 years, they really built stuff that worked.

The attachment photo compares the two servos and the older and new receivers.

The second photocompares the receiver (there were smaller ones at the time) with the new smaller and lighter. The battery in the photo is new and purchased for this little bird.

mike
mikmerl is offline Find More Posts by mikmerl
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:18 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
454 Posts
It took a bit more time and work than I had imagined but its done.

The little plane looks as good in its new suit as it did in 1979. Other than the new covering it received some much needed maintenance such as; repairing some broken ribs, fabricating a new rudder as the original one was too damaged, tending to oil soaked wood around the firewall area.

Removing the old covering was really a PITA.

At the same time removing the old RC equipment and making provision for the new smaller/lighter equipment.

The motor easily mounted back in its place but I have not yet tried to run it.

mike
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:53 AM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
Looks good!
GliderJim is offline Find More Posts by GliderJim
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:04 AM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
204 Posts
Very nice restoration--and perfect color combination! I haven't flown a Q-Tee since the late 1970s, but this has gotten me digging through my plan file.
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:36 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,059 Posts
Looks Great! Even has the beside the motor 'wings'
Those were always the first pieces to be cut off .
As it's seemingly 'ready' try flying it ? Would be a shame not to ?
Converting? Sure, but at least fly the BW a few times, it won't get That oily.
A Hobby King 2730 @1700 kv and a 7x4 or (5) prop and it's 2s battery.
( Rhino 610 2S is 35 gms and costs $4~ :-)... will likely be less or at least similar weight to the Cox and the nicad flight pack.
More Go and a throttle to fly it very slowly with
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:38 AM
United States, VA, Forest
Joined Nov 2009
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeregaard View Post
Very nice restoration--and perfect color combination! I haven't flown a Q-Tee since the late 1970s, but this has gotten me digging through my plan file.
Try this.

John
Rubbernecker is offline Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:54 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
438 Posts
Another restoration... and a "P-Tee"

Funny that I should stumble on this thread on the same day that I re-maidened my 31 year old Q-Tee. Originally flew with a TD .051, but now has an electric motor - cheap E-max 2822 with a 1300mAh Lipo balances spot on and weighs in at ~19oz. Original was built heavy on purpose. Got a fuse recover job and a new tailplane (made out of 3mm foamboard). The other plane in the picture is a similar era Goldberg Skylark that has also just been 'restored'.

About a year ago I started flying RC again and was looking for a really simple, tough and cheap plane to re-teach myself to fly and find out all about electric flight. I wanted a pusher configuration to protect the motor, so started with the Q-Tee plans, but converted them to a pusher design. It is built from a 20mm aluminium U section and 2mm correx, and it has gone through a few design changes as I have re-learned to fly through the school of hard knocks.... The lastest version uses an E-max 2812 electric motor with a 7x6 prop, which enabled me to get rid of the ugly raised engine mount you see in the picture. Not much of a looker, but show me another plane that costs less than $5 but can survive a 30m full throttle dive into rock hard ground without any damage whatsoever (other than perhaps a mugi)!
Extreme Sports is offline Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:06 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
438 Posts
So which is your favourite Tee?

Flying the old Q-Tee and reading this thread seems to have motivated me to re-look at the design of the Push Tee. I built prototype number 3 over two evenings this week, incorporating some design changes that have resolved the overweight and thrust angle issues that prevented the first two versions having the flight characteristics of a true trainer. Version 3 now weighs only 10-30g more than my conventional Q-Tee (depending on LiPo and motor choice; version 2 was about 150g heavier) and its flying characteristics are so similar that its hard to distinguish between the two. If anything the P-Tee feels slightly more ‘solid’. Stalls are benign and spin recovery is instantaneous. Flight testing this week has settled the motor choice – a 2200Kv Suppo 2212/06 swinging a 6” prop enabled the thrust line to be lowered to below the wing, which has totally eliminated the pitching moment on throttle changes that plagued the first prototype. The Suppo provides way more power than needed (read near vertical climb on ¾ throttle), but as it’s the only high KV motor I have, it will have to do. The E-Max 2812 works, but its best matched with a 7” prop....which raises the thrust line.

Apart from an extended nose, all dimensions are identical to the Q-Tee.

I was so pleased with the flight performance that I splashed out on a silver with black trimmings colour scheme to match the Q-Tee...the little lady no longer looks like the pig at the party and almost holds her own in the company of her admittedly very cute (Qute?) siblings!
Extreme Sports is offline Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:47 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
454 Posts
Ek is ook van Suid-Afrika.
Vanaf Durban.
Nou woon ek in Athene, Griekeland...

mike
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:45 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Does anyone have the plan for the S-Tee? Thanks in advance!
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:48 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
454 Posts
Just build the Q-Tee without the cabanes and a flatter hatch cover between firewall and wing.

Screw the wing directly to the top of the fuselage.

See photos in hogflyer post #45

mike
Last edited by mikmerl; Jun 30, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:52 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkphantom View Post
Does anyone have the plan for the S-Tee? Thanks in advance!
Here you go.
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Jun 30, 2012, 09:49 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,608 Posts
eliworm --

Thanks for the S-Tee plan set.

andrew
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Jul 01, 2012, 03:51 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Woo hoo! thanks very much for the S-Tee, I've been chasing that for ages. Gary
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
29 Posts
Boy does this thread bring back some good memories! I built several Q-tees back in the 80's. Easy to build and easy to fly. One I made a 3channel with a muffler/throttle (or was it a TD 051 with carb? Both? Too long ago!) and steerable tail-wheel so I could taxi and do touch and go's. I also worked in a hobby shop back then and must have built 1/2 a dozen or so for customers. It was very popular.
daveagain is offline Find More Posts by daveagain