HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2012, 02:26 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Dec 2007
178 Posts
Looks good Hog, Is there any difference between the S-tee and the Q-tee other than vertical wing placement?
ripplewave is online now Find More Posts by ripplewave
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2012, 06:24 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,716 Posts
Thanks! ripplewave.

The are a few, but they are small. The wing is bolt-on with the S-Tee and doesn't have the cutout on the trailing edge, the turtle deck shape, and the Q-Tee has 1/16" incidence on the leading edge where the S-Tee is 0-0 with the empenage. The rest is basically identical.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is online now Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old May 08, 2012, 08:16 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Dec 2007
178 Posts
Hogflyer,

Well then the Q-tee shouldnt be that hard to convert into an S-tee...
ripplewave is online now Find More Posts by ripplewave
Old May 08, 2012, 08:47 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,169 Posts
Nope.. either saw off those fragile parasol sticks, Or delete them altogether from your build. Couldn't be easier.
But don't be expecting F1 performance though.
Still just a pedestrian trainer without the fragile parasol setup..
Add ailerons/delete rudder.. if... you want it emulate a 'sporty' model
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old May 09, 2012, 12:03 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Texaco tank? Only had the BW tank... No Texaco big prop small venturi.. that was a later decade's phase/variation. Mine had a 2 mins tank run.. on a good day.
Sullivan slant tank rubber banded to the turtle deck and connected to the BW's tank tube Doubled the run time, at least.
Genuinely Ugly and clunky, but it worked.. opening up possibilities of other than 'climb to altitude then coast down' flight profiles.
Agreed, the Q Tee experience, it's basically Boooring. (mark of a good basic trainer ??). once flown a couple/few times my interest dissolves.
Ergo mine's decades long storage, with sporadic and brief revival intervals.
Too good to throw out, (memories/nostalgia we are all at their mercy :-) but it always get re-shelved.
Ahh, not texaco then, but that size, golden bee? I get confused between them all!
Curare is online now Find More Posts by Curare
Old May 30, 2012, 04:39 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
454 Posts
When the soul is willing................

The little guy really wants to return to the sky

Applied new covering transparent yellow Super Monokote to wing and stab. It is not the easiest covering (or lightest) to use but it adds phenomenally to the torsional rigidity of a flimsy open structure like we have here.

mike
mikmerl is offline Find More Posts by mikmerl
Old May 30, 2012, 09:50 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,172 Posts
nice!
Curare is online now Find More Posts by Curare
Old May 30, 2012, 10:45 PM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,263 Posts
Yes, pretty covering! Can't wait to see her with that blue on the fuselage? I've always loved that combination.

Are you still thinking that the Black Widow will sing on this one?

KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
Old May 31, 2012, 09:09 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
454 Posts
Kpriddle
There were some thoughts of converting to electric power instead of the Black Widow but I received a tongue lashing from curare in an earlier post that set me back on the correct path.

mike
Old May 31, 2012, 11:26 AM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
I keep thinking everytime a post is made on this thread. Gotta build another one taking full advantage of todays much lighter radio gear. Perhaps covering it in my limited stock of a lightweight but strong covering no longer marketed.I am not positive of it's name but it was tough and light since it has fibres in it I think.Microfilm?

Perhaps a 2.5 gram servo on the throttle with some attempt to minumise the vibration effects transfered from the engine. Although a failure in use of that servo is not a big deal really. . .

I would not want a rudder servo caling it quits in flight. So probably a nine gram servo there or two five gram servos for the wing instead. Corona 4 gram reciever lightened further as possible. Single cell lithium polymer cell with a voltage increasing device.

Overall radio system weight should still be lighter than when I flew it originally with one rudder servo and a 250-300 ma nickle cadium pack. Even the reciever back then was possibly an ounce or 29 grams.I do remember the weight hyped in the futaba ads. In those days I did not have gram scales.

Today gram scales are available for about the same price as a couple of cups of coffee at a coffee franchise. So there is no reason not to have them and they are deadly accurate to the partial gram. If anyone wants a recomendation for the model of scale I use free feel to pm me. I have purchased perhaps a hundred of them so far for other people with never a dud. So I recommend this model and the ebay source in china.

Not much possibility of reducing the airframe weight further if a nitro engine is used. That model of mine never crashed or was lost to fuel soaking. After five years of every kid in the neighbourhood using it. One of them after it being in service for five years.Took it too far out to be aware of the direction of travel. Think speck along the base of a cloud formation at best. So it was lost forever. I always hand launched it for the kids as the roll to the right was very pronounced initially until some speed built up.

My stock of carbon fibre round tubes,square tubes and solid rods was increased reciently as it was restocked by hobby king a few weeks ago, So I might use carbon tubes for the wing spars and build up a carbon fibre wing mount as well to replace the heavy one originally used. That is if I determine weight can be saved.

Generally speaking I have no question about the carbon fibre products use in many areas. To me it is very strong stuff without a weight penalty when substituted. I am starting to learn that I am over engineering by using larger sizes in application of carbon fibre products than really needed.

Three millimeter square carbon fibre tubing for example should be more than strong enough for the wing holding supports. Thirty inches of the square tubing stock weighs five grams approximatly. So I estimate perhaps four grams of material in the wing mount. The much smaller cross sectional area of the carbon fibre over wood is going to look better as well.

Not having the plans in my immediate grasp it is just a guess though as the length of the stock required determines the weight. Also in structurally critical areas like the extensions for the hold downs for the elastics. You can slide a small length of solid rod into the round centre of the square tubing and glue it in. Vastly increasing the strength..

The stuff seems to me to glue extremely well and since It's porosity if any is very small. You can use less weight in glue to get equal bonds or better than wood it seems. There is no penatration soakage at all for practical purposes.

An old dog like myself can use new tricks it seems. To some of us old dogs this is the golden age of modelling. Things have never been cheaper in corrected dollars. In addition the improvements have been totally amazing compared to my start in the hobby 63 years ago.

What some of us dreamed as someday perhaps being possible has been well passed with time. To have it available this cheap as well would never have been imaginable. Less than a days income for all the parts and pieces including the radio system for this plane. They would have locked you up if you had tried to predict this even forty years ago.

Up here in Canada where model supplies where substantially more in cost and still are if purchased inside the country. I perhaps delivered newspapers for a week to purchase a new 0.49 engine for the first time. An ok cub I remember by herkimer?
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson
Last edited by barry wilson; May 31, 2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:43 AM
Ελλάδα, Ανατολική Μακεδονία Θράκη, Βιστωνίδα
Joined Jul 2006
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmerl View Post
Kpriddle
There were some thoughts of converting to electric power instead of the Black Widow but I received a tongue lashing from curare in an earlier post that set me back on the correct path.

mike
Hello patriot Mike.
Very nice job on the model.
Calls flights.

Elijah Xanthi Greece.
hlsat is offline Find More Posts by hlsat
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:36 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
454 Posts
Efxaristo file apo tin Xanthi.

mike
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:27 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,169 Posts
One can currently Buy Litespan or it's equivalents, easily.. ..Google :-)
A Hobby King 2730 will ..readily.. outperform a TD even, for a whopping $9 and it's lighter to boot, don't be dissuaded from..Anything.. that makes a Plane perform
'better'.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jun 02, 2012, 09:39 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
For all those doing weights savings with modern tiny servos, realize that when this plane came out, a LIGHT 3 channel system was 14 OUNCES.

I flew my Q-Tee with an RS Systems 3 channel radio (only used two channels in the Q-Tee).

When I pulled that system (with 3 servos) from a later airplane a few years back, I weighed it.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Jun 02, 2012, 12:48 PM
United States, VA, Forest
Joined Nov 2009
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
For all those doing weights savings with modern tiny servos, realize that when this plane came out, a LIGHT 3 channel system was 14 OUNCES.

I flew my Q-Tee with an RS Systems 3 channel radio (only used two channels in the Q-Tee).

When I pulled that system (with 3 servos) from a later airplane a few years back, I weighed it.
Not trying to hi-jack the thread but as comparison, I just finished up a Goldberg Jr. Falcon 2 channel w/Golden Bee .049 that auw is 14 oz. It flys like a pylon racer. New radio gear has really opened up the 1/2 A possibilities.

John
Rubbernecker is offline Find More Posts by Rubbernecker