SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2012, 04:48 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
454 Posts
I finally found some empty space on my work bench and started the tedious task of removing the old covering film. Most of it had become very attached to the balsa and really challenged my patience.

Heat worked to some degree, clear packaging tape helped a lot (you apply it to the old film and then pull it up wards). It removes quite a bit of the old residue from the airframe.

At the end of the day sandpaper and a lot of elbow grease bring the final result. I repaired some cracks in the airframe wood and removed the old servo mounting wood blocks as I will be using new generation micro servos.

Now I am treating the oil soaked wood around the firewall with talc
um powder to the degree that it helps.

Keep in mind the little bird is more than 30 years old.

mike
mikmerl is offline Find More Posts by mikmerl
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 11:44 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,239 Posts
How much does it weigh in that condition , please?
Mine (from '75) is in the closet :-) Awaiting an eventual wee outrunner repowering.
Baking soda has worked for me in the past as oil remover.. takes time though.. days even ?
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old May 05, 2012, 08:28 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
454 Posts
Bare the weight in its current condition, no hardware except for the wheels and of course no covering is 208grams.

Let me know which wee outrunner you decide on as I am leaning heavily in the direction of converting mine to electric as well.

Thanks for the baking soda tip; I just gave the whole firewall area a liberal coating.

mike
mikmerl is offline Find More Posts by mikmerl
Old May 06, 2012, 04:16 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,239 Posts
Best motor IMO suitable is the Hobby King 24 gram blue wonder /turnigy 2730 in 1700 kv ! wind.
Light and powerful these are V good motors by any yardstick, the fact that they are Cheap is just a Bonus :-).
Use Rhino 610 2s (35gms) Or Rhino750 3s (56g) to go Fast.
8x4 for mild perf, 7x6 for racer like.
Have fun.
Old May 07, 2012, 03:12 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,197 Posts
DONT GO ELECTRIC!

Part of the fun of 1/2a is running annoyingly loud hilariously small motors. If you take that away you'll all but take the soul out the Q-Tee.

If you want an electric one, do so, but start afresh, and lighten the heck out of it. I can almost guarantee that you'll chortle greatly when flying the glow one, and be a little indifferent to the lek-trick.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old May 07, 2012, 02:17 PM
Model Hijacker
United States, WA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2011
51 Posts
last year,this thread, along with eliworms posts have gotten my 9 year old daugter interested in building one. I guess I better get on the ball She wants hers to be electric, and I will be putting a Norvel in mine

Thanks for bringing this back to my attention
MrGoodwreck is offline Find More Posts by MrGoodwreck
Old May 07, 2012, 05:13 PM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
Since my last one many years ago. With the vastly reduced weight of radio gear today it should fly much better. Still have an original kit and plans.

Actually a modern electric version might overall be lighter than my original and far more powerful.
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson
Old May 07, 2012, 05:59 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,239 Posts
I found even using the ancient S400 and Gasp! nicads that it was still a little bit lighter than My QT's first incarnation, which was with a black widow.
This due to the nicad receiver pack, plus largish servos and Rx. S400 was a heavy lump.
I did enjoy the s400 powered one far more than the black widow version.
Quiet, instant on and perfect throttling was a whole new world then.. Not to mention the more than 3x 'run time'.
Nostaligia is great.. but when something simply works better..it's tough to quickly dismiss it.
A few? years back the IMO horrid little man of SR batteries infamy kitted a Cutie (blatant copy)
For use with a geared (2.3:1) s400 and 10 cells of nicads. Despite it being seriously heavy it was a fairly popular model as the electrics gave it more perf/use than the Glo versions ever did.
Moderne BL electrics and Lipos gives huge potentials for very little weight... a major improvement over fitting 10! nicad cells.
Last edited by Bare; May 07, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old May 07, 2012, 06:12 PM
Model Hijacker
United States, WA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2011
51 Posts
I have decided to go "Old School"...

I still have a like new in the box 2 ch Cox/Sanwa radio and Cox Black Widow.
MrGoodwreck is offline Find More Posts by MrGoodwreck
Old May 07, 2012, 06:17 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,239 Posts
Hey! why not :-)
Do try and fit some sort of 'extra' fuel tank tho, the Too Short engine run is a genuine nuisance imo.
Old May 07, 2012, 06:31 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Dec 2007
181 Posts
Here is a tiled and cleaner version of the plans.
ripplewave is offline Find More Posts by ripplewave
Old May 07, 2012, 10:24 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,239 Posts
Great! I have 2 PDF's and an original Airtronics Paper plan on hand..
clearly I uploaded the wrong one.
Although I don't believe it's 'better' ..
Clearer/easier to read it certainly is.. better it is Not.
As example the silly "improvement ' of showing the Wing incidence angle as 1 degree when the original shows 1/16" as the spacer.
Last edited by Bare; May 08, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old May 08, 2012, 12:52 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Hey! why not :-)
Do try and fit some sort of 'extra' fuel tank tho, the Too Short engine run is a genuine nuisance imo.
I find that a texaco tank is usually just enough to get bored. of course you could go for a sure start and a film cannister tank,
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old May 08, 2012, 12:21 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,239 Posts
Texaco tank? Only had the BW tank... No Texaco big prop small venturi.. that was a later decade's phase/variation. Mine had a 2 mins tank run.. on a good day.
Sullivan slant tank rubber banded to the turtle deck and connected to the BW's tank tube Doubled the run time, at least.
Genuinely Ugly and clunky, but it worked.. opening up possibilities of other than 'climb to altitude then coast down' flight profiles.
Agreed, the Q Tee experience, it's basically Boooring. (mark of a good basic trainer ??). once flown a couple/few times my interest dissolves.
Ergo mine's decades long storage, with sporadic and brief revival intervals.
Too good to throw out, (memories/nostalgia we are all at their mercy :-) but it always get re-shelved.
Old May 08, 2012, 01:29 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,721 Posts
Boring depending on how you set it up or want to fly it.

I've flown my Q-Tee with the controls cranked up and it's very aerobatic and will do as close to axial rolls as is possible from a 2-channel R/E model. I've also enjoyed many flights over 1 hour catching thermals (battery concerns were the limiting factor). With today's computer radio's, it's easy to set it up to be a very sedate trainer and do very respectable aerobatics.

After reading through this thread again, it's made me get my old S-Tee back out and get it ready to fly. This plane has a replacement fuselage, but the rest is original (except the wheels and radio) going back to 1980 except for the mid 1990's vintage Black Widow that has only a few runs on it. I actually had to add almost 3 ounces of lead behind the firewall to balance it, and it weighs in at a very portly 21.4 ounces. But with all that wing, it still should be a good flyer. Just waiting for a chance to get out to the field to fly it.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer